• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wellness check turns into hysteria, gun collection illegally siezed

The swat team to clear a few guns is a nice touch along with cordoning off the area.

You will see this increasingly with red flag laws. Since only a crazy person would amass an arsenal of more than 2 guns, anyone with more than two guns must be crazy. And around and around we go on the red flag merry go round.

It’s easy to understand when you realize government (in this case, cops) don’t care and it’s all part of the punishment.
Sorry, but I will never understand why someone of authority can intentionally damage personal property, even if they don’t care.

As much as it sucks that these red flag laws give law enforcement the right to take someone’s guns, unfortunately what they are doing is legal. Vandalism is not.

I finally had a chance to view the video and read the article. I saw nothing whatsoever to support the idea that the man was depressed or suicidal. The only evidence of that was the red flag statement. I saw a man's life turned inside out and a collection virtually destroyed. I have to think if he was a retired FFL these 50-60 guns were the cream of his career. $20k-$30k is probably low.

On the other thread-arc, I never served, although like everyone is (even now) required to do, I did register for the draft. They had stopped actually drafting at least 10 years before, though. Just as well. I had a bit of an attitude problem at that time in my life. I suspect I would not have been a good fit...

People have accused me of being a cold person for cutting certain relatives out of my life.
Exhibit A.

You may have cut THEM out of YOUR life, but if they choose to make the Red Flag call, the police will not take that into account. They will assume that relative MUST know you well and obviously you're a danger to yourself and others. If fact, the fact that you DID cut them out of your life only reinforces their claim that you are unbalanced.

I finally had a chance to view the video and read the article. I saw nothing whatsoever to support the idea that the man was depressed or suicidal. The only evidence of that was the red flag statement. I saw a man's life turned inside out and a collection virtually destroyed. I have to think if he was a retired FFL these 50-60 guns were the cream of his career. $20k-$30k is probably low.

On the other thread-arc, I never served, although like everyone is (even now) required to do, I did register for the draft. They had stopped actually drafting at least 10 years before, though. Just as well. I had a bit of an attitude problem at that time in my life. I suspect I would not have been a good fit...

You may have cut THEM out of YOUR life, but if they choose to make the Red Flag call, the police will not take that into account. They will assume that relative MUST know you well and obviously you're a danger to yourself and others. If fact, the fact that you DID cut them out of your life only reinforces their claim that you are unbalanced.

You are correct.
It's just going to be harder for them to back up their claim when they haven't had any contact of any kind with me for years.

How does any of this actually help someone who might be suicidal not be suicidal anymore? They're just giving him more reason by destroying his kids' inheritance.

Yep, if I was feeling depressed before the event, after my family turns their backs on me and get my guns taken and destroyed, and me humiliated on national TV, I would be even more depressed. And pissed off!

It never occurs to these people that the old guy still has ways to kill himself if he is indeed suicidal. And more motivation now.

What is the LEA practice if someone has a big, thick, combination safe? A buddy inherited a collection in a dealer-grade safe about the size of a double door fridge.

Last edited:
He is being taken in for an involuntary evaluation.....why not wait until the eval is done to determine if any action needs to be taken in regards to his weapons?

Such involuntary psych evals are absolutely necessary for some people and sometimes only those close to the individual know how grave the situation is. The person being admitted will always get upset at the family member who called, the police, ems, etc. but it is absolutely necessary in some instances despite minimal public "red flags".

The immediate removal of guns from the property I don't get......if he gets cleared by a psychiatrist, he legally can own them, so just wait for the evaluation to be done. If he's deemed unfit, then go from there.

He is being taken in for an involuntary evaluation.....why not wait until the eval is done to determine if any action needs to be taken in regards to his weapons?

Such involuntary psych evals are absolutely necessary for some people and sometimes only those close to the individual know how grave the situation is. The person being admitted will always get upset at the family member who called, the police, ems, etc. but it is absolutely necessary in some instances despite minimal public "red flags".

The immediate removal of guns from the property I don't get......if he gets cleared by a psychiatrist, he legally can own them, so just wait for the evaluation to be done. If he's deemed unfit, then go from there.

Because this way most of them will be damaged and the owner will have to pay thou$and$ to a lawyer for even the bare chance of getting some of them back, someday.

If I was an old guy minding my own business and my so-called family did this to me, I'd let them know in no uncertain terms that all the inheritance that they were going to get, is now being donated to the NRA when I croak. I wouldn't really donate to the NRA, but to some other charity, but that would push the most buttons and make their heads explode. $0 for any of the family, or their children, remotely involved in turning me in.

At some point, an ambitious AG (or other do-gooder), under the aegis of existing red flag laws, will declare ALL gun owners a threat and just confiscate everyone's guns...

How does any of this actually help someone who might be suicidal not be suicidal anymore? They're just giving him more reason by destroying his kids' inheritance.
Forget who it was but they were at the statehouse when the bill was being hashed out. Posting here as the two sides were negotiating the final bill. It was.clear the anti side have zero f***s to give about anyone's mental health or even the safety of the person who was supposedly in danger.

There’s video of the MA legislature voting down due process, the right to public defenders, designated transfers to avoid bonded storage abuse, mental health funding, and criminal penalties for false reporting during the Red Flag debacle.

It’s in a threaded dedicated to the legislation. GOAL had negotiated a good faith bill with reasonable protections and the legislature at the last minute tore it all up as a “f*** you” during an emergency session. The leadership was openly rude to opposing representatives and violated their own procedural rules with public comment held after the law was passed.

It was karma that Senate President Stan Rosenberg’s political career ended shortly thereafter.

There’s video of the MA legislature voting down due process, the right to public defenders, designated transfers to avoid bonded storage abuse, mental health funding, and criminal penalties for false reporting during the Red Flag debacle.

It’s in a threaded dedicated to the legislation. GOAL had negotiated a good faith bill with reasonable protections and the legislature at the last minute tore it all up as a “f*** you” during an emergency session. The leadership was openly rude to opposing representatives and violated their own procedural rules with public comment held after the law was passed.

It was karma that Senate President Stan Rosenberg’s political career ended shortly thereafter.

That still stands as maybe the most egregious violation of civil rights and legislative procedure I have ever seen. It was nothing but the antis giving the middle finger to legal gun owners.

It's still a travesty that they took a bill designed to actually help people going through mental health emergencies and turned it into nothing but an anti-gun masturbatory session. It tells you everything you need to know about how much the legislature cares about it's citizens.

Back
Top Bottom