• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Well, post some military pics.

View attachment 751157
My old man back in 1969 Vietnam, he was in the Marines, infantry. Cool pic of his old school M16 with a 20 round mag.

I always preferred the 20 round mags over the 30, even to this day. The 20's were better from the prone position. They weren't getting buried in the ground screwing up my sighting.

IIRC the M-14 automatic had a thirty round mag. Weighed a ton with the bipod. Still think M-14 was 10 times the little toy space gun M-16.
I went through AIT in with a M-14 early '66' played with a full auto M-14 with bipod, then to Nam with a M-14, but no 30's that I'm aware of...

Last edited:
Unless that's you or your video, put in a relevant thread maybe?

Here's a picture of a Grade III ammo destruction I was involved in.

How many different types of ordnance can be identified?

View attachment 756221

View attachment 756222

View attachment 756223

Damn, your post was about the most anti-climatic thing I have experienced on this forum lol

Pictures or videos of the detonation?

Is that a belt of ammo for an A10?

Are those bars of C4 to detonate everything?

I have so many questions, like why are they destroying it?

Damn, your post was about the most anti-climatic thing I have experienced on this forum lol

lol, that's why I said I don't know what to do with it.

You are probably equally disappointed with this photo (I was a Grunt, not Combat Camera) lol.

Grade III KA-BOOM.JPG

No.
It is from the 25mm Bushmaster Cannon on an LAV-25 and maybe some 20mm from the Cobra helicopter.
Yes.
Ammo classified as Grade 3 is not to be used for training or combat.

Any ammo that was involved in IED incident where the vehicle was heavily damaged or destroyed was classified as Grade 3.

You can see that some of the tank ammo where the projectile has separated from propellant and/or the base casing.

No one wanted to take the chance of ammo not functioning or malfunctioning after being subjected to an IED hit and the only thing to do with it was destroy it in a controlled detonation.

They also destroyed captured enemy munitions; if you look around in one of the photos, you can see a 120mm mortar round.

but was it loud? [rofl]
It was.

But no matter how hard you put the word out that, "There's going to be a controlled det at 1300", somebody doesn't get the word and has a shit fit.

Or when there is a briefed low fly by by a section of F-18s that breaks the sound barrier.

Or a platoon that coordinates setting off ten claymores on the training range before rotating out of country.

Good times (for some)!

IIRC the M-14 automatic had a thirty round mag. Weighed a ton with the bipod. Still think M-14 was 10 times the little toy space gun M-16.
I was helping a out of state VN grunt with a claim in the 90's he actually lived at my house for a year... Preface I had un understanding 2nd wife. He and I were in the same TET 68 bottles right across the street, A MATS team advisor. They were located in triangular shaped French Fort, south oh Highway 1 and a very bad area. Most of the ARVN's in the Kit, Carson scout wear on holiday when they were attacked for five days. They have a fully automatic M-14 and it was on rock 'n' roll all night, wave after wave. He couldn't speak more highly of it.

While at the cemetery visiting my parents grave this weekend with all the geraniums and flags placed on all the veterans graves including my father's for Memorial Day. It gave me a time of reflection of our deceased soldiers and veterans and my fathers military service. He enlisted at the age 15 or 16 to help support his family of 6 children. His father died when he was at a young age . The priest from the church his family attended signed or forged his papers to enlist. He served overseas as a Forward observer in the Army. He served in Germany at the end of WW11 during the occupation period. Also when the Korean war came around he served again as a Forward observer in the Army. He had reached the rank as Staff Sergeant. After war he came home and started a family. He never really talked about his service. But he was proud of serving his country. I remember when we were young he would load us all in the station wagon and go to the cemeteries to visit the deceased veterans he knew and deceased family and freinds gravesites on Memorial Day. So in the early 70s one his buddies convinced him to join the MA National Guard reserves in which he served until the early 90s as a Mess Sergeant. He was well respected from the men that served under him. He passed away in Jan of 2000. I have these pictures of him.

1st When he first joined the Army.

2nd Somewhere in Germany with his Mortar and the Sunday Funnies under his arm.

Attachments

• 20230526_162958.jpg
    20230526_162958.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230526_163054.jpg
    20230526_163054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
D Day 1984. Bad news is we (3-7 Cav) were pretty far back. Good news is we were right next to Walter Cronkite, who was broadcasting from the top of a gun emplacement. We weren’t supposed to be there but LTC Shinseki talked to a guy from the Embassy and they relented.

We reconnoitered the route from our hotel through a bunch of villages: not easy in a giant German tour bus. So we got there before General Rogers

His speech was terrific. After the politicians left, some of us got to meet the Ranger Veterans.

5EF68089-F994-4253-A4E6-F8F23B0E5F04.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom