Well, Here We Go. New Reloader

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
When I got my LTC a couple years ago I figured I'd own a gun or two. Now I have to stop and count in my head to think about how many I own. I certainly never thought I'd reload but the brown santa will be delivering a few Midway boxes over the next few days (LNL Progressive) and I'm signed up for EC's reloading class in August.

I've got a space in the basement that I'm looking to convert to the "Gun Room" and I'm looking here for some advice. My plan is to set it up with a reloading bench, gunsmithing/cleaning bench, gun cabinet, and related storage. I'd love to hear any advice you guys have on how to set this up. Any tips from things you wish you did to things you wish you didn't will be helpful. My hope is to get this setup in time for the class so I can be ready to go afterwards.

I'm during drawing up the space in SketchUp. I'll post the raw space when I've got it drawn. Its about 9.5' by 10' if I remember the dims correctly.

I'm a new reloader as well. I took EC's course first, then started with an LNL single stage press. That got old, just like everybody said it would, but I am glad I started out that way. It's just a more deliberate way of doing things for a newbie, in my opinion. I moved to the LNL Progressive and I like it a lot. I have had some minor glitches with the primer tube/shuttle so I re-size, decap, and prime in one operation and bell, charge the case, seat & crimp in another operation. I know it takes longer but it works for me. Good luck.

Welcome to reloading gents...I've been reloading off and on for about 25 years...I still run a single stage but hopefully this summer/early fall I'm going to upgrade to a progressive...the jury is still out on which one.

As far a priming goes, I think I'm going to find that even with a progressive, I will probably still prime mine by hand. I have a Lee hand primer that works well and I can load it up with a few hundred primers and prime the brass as I'm watching TV...kind of a mindless task (well, yes, watching TV is mindless too). On the other hand, if I find I can "feel" the primer going home OK, I may be able to trust the press.

I would love to take one of EC's course's but he usually runs them too far away for me...I have learned a lot through friends of mine that reload and there are some great videos on Youtube usually run by the manufacturers...

I've found that there is always more to learn in reloading, part of the reason I think I love it so much.

Don't over think it, get your bench down and in a reasonable area. Lighting should be good. You can add to your station or work area as you need to.

I like to use a small 'island' bench rather than one up against a wall. You can mount presses on 4 sides of it (3 if the bench has drawers) and they take up very little space. If you don't use your bench for storage (that's what shelves are for) you can make it pretty small and still get 3 presses on it.

Tagging this thread.

We're moving into a house in NH (halle-f*cking-lujah) next month and I'll have room to reload.

I'm sure you'll get some great advice, but don't forget to post your own experiences once you get up and running. It'll help me (at least). [grin]

Use a thick top. A 3/4 particle board top will flex all over the place. I like the idea of a small sized top but on my bench I also like to place things within reach on the normal size bench I have now

Height is a huge issue IMO. Seated, standing, not having to bend your neck in some wierd position to look into loaded cases, etc. I would mock it up after you get the press and then decide on a height. Mine is slightly too low and puts some strain on the way I have to swing my arm. Next bench is higher and with a thicker top for me.

I like to use a small 'island' bench rather than one up against a wall. You can mount presses on 4 sides of it (3 if the bench has drawers) and they take up very little space. If you don't use your bench for storage (that's what shelves are for) you can make it pretty small and still get 3 presses on it.

I always appreciated that picture of your press on the island. It's a very efficient use of space. I actually got a pedestal for a bench grinder with the intent of putting my LNL progressive on it and freeing up some bench space.

B

I always appreciated that picture of your press on the island. It's a very efficient use of space. I actually got a pedestal for a bench grinder with the intent of putting my LNL progressive on it and freeing up some bench space.

B
Thanks.

I tried a heavy duty industrial grinder stand and found it to be not quite steady enough for my liking. I think it would've been much better if I'd bolted it to the floor with some TapCons, but I put my buffer on it instead.

As it comes out of the box, it's not really ready to use. I'm going to weld the head onto the shaft and then bolt it to the floor. It's not a big priority right now since I only load pistol ammo on it. I find my bench more useful for doing things besides reloading that all my presses are on boards that I C clamp to the bench.

The ultimatereloader.com guy has a nice pedestal made out of plate steel and some kind of tubing.

B

I took EC's class last October, ordered my press in late December, built my bench a couple of week ago, and am finally getting around to setting up my press now. [grin] Here is one suggestion that no one told me about (at least not that I remember). Most of the LNL parts are covered in packing grease from the factory (to prevent against rusting and corrosion during storage and shipment). Hornady recommends using Hornady One Shot Cleaner & Dry Lube to remove the grease. I couldn't find any locally, so I ended up ordering it on Amazon, thus delaying the assembly for a few more days. I did the degreasing tonight and will hopefully reassemble and get the press mounted tomorrow. I'll post pictures in the bench thread after I have everything set up.

ETA: I ordered two 14 oz cans, but one can would have been enough. I didn't finish the first can.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, guys. As promised, here's the existing area.

plan.jpg

perspective.jpg

I'm planning to build a half wall in the open section. I'll have a cleaning/smithing bench on that.

Don't forget to leave room for a couch and a 57" flat screen TV with surround sound...

Don't forget to leave room for a couch and a 57" flat screen TV with surround sound...

Don't be ridiculous. Far too ostentatious. I won't need any more than a single recliner because I WON'T be entertaining here. As such I'll need no larger than a 55" flat panel [smile]

I would make plan and room for a wet bar and the most important machine, kegerator & popcorn machine.

Kegerator.jpg
s7_518841_999_01

I have a Keurig in my reloading area for winter use...........it's a great addition. Don't use it as much in the summer months but a good cup of coffee is in order without having to leave your vaunted space.[rofl]

Don't be ridiculous. Far too ostentatious. I won't need any more than a single recliner because I WON'T be entertaining here. As such I'll need no larger than a 55" flat panel [smile]

OK, OK...the 55" will work OK I guess but I personally have a hard time stretching out on a recliner...a couch is far more comfortable for me...YMMV [wink]
(but then, it isn't my man cave...)

My wife, who was not a fan of me reloading, bought me a really cool, comfortable, adjustable stool. It was a huge help in ergonomics and improved my overall experience, good luck!

Last edited:
My wife, who was not a fan of me reloading, bought me a really cool, comfortable, adjustable stool. It was a huge help in ergonomics and improved my overall experience, good luck!

Can you recall the name? I'm looking around for a seating choice. The plan is to build the benches high but not standing height. I want to be able to get the seat a little higher for some things

It has begun. This weekend I put in a half wall to divide the space from the rest of the basement area without closing it off completely. Working on cleaning up the wiring now as the existing is sloppy. I hope to get the drywall up and the flooring down this week!

basement1.jpg

basement2.jpg

That looks cool, I like the idea you're going with. My wife has promised me that once we settle in a house I can reload in the basement, which will be a step up (of sorts) from the unheated garage.

TW, make it standard height as reloading isn't the only thing going on. So many ammo related ops where standing is more comfortable.

An office chair is what I use and it is on wheels plus height is adjustable.

Tom, I don't think Lincoln Logs are quite robust enough, even for a non-load-bearing half-wall. Though I suppose there is something to be said for the rustic "log" cabin look. [laugh]

Well, crap, where were you a few days ago? Now I gotta tear it all down! [smile]

I made some good progress over the last few days. Drywall is up with the second coat of JC. Ceiling grid is up and the lights are wired. I'm hoping to get primer up on the walls tomorrow if I can get in on the last coat of JC early in the morning. If I'm lucky, I'll have it wrapped up next weekend with just the benches to go.

I dont know how you guys do it....... I would have built a bench first then put the rest of the construction off for later......

I dont know how you guys do it....... I would have built a bench first then put the rest of the construction off for later......

Normally, I'm the king of uncompleted projects so I know what you mean. I have an unusual amount of energy for this one though.

I got the walls primed and painted yesterday. Floors, trim, trim paint next and the room is done. Picking up some lumber for the benches this week. Might get to build those on Sunday

photo 1.jpg
The exterior half wall is part of the as yet to be finished portion of the basement. Its getting plain old white primer along with the door and trim

photo 2.jpg

photo 5.jpg
No need to replace the door. It will get painted white though.

yuk,phhooey clean new neat,,,,,,,,,My reload area is in the darkest depth of the basement....I have thought of at least painting the walls for a bit better light,,,,,

Looking good....

Back
Top Bottom