Weldable AR15 Receivers From The Flat Spot

Reptile

NES Member
"Beyond legos for gun nerds comes this soon-to-be-AR15-lower (aka package of raw metal) that can be transformed with skill and welding. Designed and machined by The Flat Spot, this assortment of metal is what I have dubbed a 25% lower receiver. Whereas 80% lower kits only require a drill press and finishing, this flat set requires welding and tapping of the receiver extension hole.

Practical in the days where complete lowers can be had for $30? Probably not. However this kit looks like a lot of fun for a dedicated builder. Sure, it will end up heavy, less polished and less than milspec, but you were the one who actually brought it to life. And government, serial numbers, NICS checks, Molon Labe, yada-yada-yada stuff too."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ent=2017-06-06&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

--------
Weld your own...

IMG_8835-660x510.jpg

Who the hell would want to work on that thing? And end up with a receiver with the weight of steel?

As a welder/fabricator for 20 years this thought has crossed my mind. I think its a cool Idea and could see putting one together or copying it. Yes the weight would be the down side, but it will go bang.

Jason.

Some people just like building things. It's not about practicality. Projects like these help people build/expand their skills.

I think it would be fun. Not practical, but fun. Make a cool AR wall hanger.

I know... looks retarded as ****, but it's from 2001 and there wasn't nearly as many vendors as there are now cranking out 80% lowers...

rMxZOK8.jpg

mQZHEnj.gif

tLzKX03.jpg

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uplo...10-17_131429_AR_15_Scratch_Built_Receiver.pdf

Last edited:
They are not anything new, they have been around for years. They used to go by the name of Jack Squat receivers. I have seen a few threads on various gun forums on these being turned into receivers. They were not pretty, but allegedly functioned.

That's nice - how, exactly, do you make it 'legal'?

Let's say I want to build an UZI and I buy a UZI 80% receiver, and complete the other 20%. With an ebay parts kit, I now have a 'gun', according to a gunsmith I spoke-to. I have an UZI - cool, I want one, happy-day. But now I have to register and tax-stamp the thing....yes?

I dunno. Looks like fun. And then you'll have a receiver you don't give a shit about and can have fun with welding on attachments for cup holders and tactical fidget spinners.

It would be even more fun to use it as a model to cut your own parts. Then convert that derelict car in the back woods into a gun: frame rail metal for the receiver, seat belts for the sling, maybe interior door handle for the butt stock, exhaust pipe for the hand guard.

That's nice - how, exactly, do you make it 'legal'?

Let's say I want to build an UZI and I buy a UZI 80% receiver, and complete the other 20%. With an ebay parts kit, I now have a 'gun', according to a gunsmith I spoke-to. I have an UZI - cool, I want one, happy-day. But now I have to register and tax-stamp the thing....yes?

Are you being sarcastic?

I have seen one of these steel lowers in person and they are uglier & heavier than you could believe. There is no scenario in which welding one of these together is cheaper or easier than finishing an 80% aluminum receiver, and having to thread the stock extension is way more of a pain than you would think, especially for the garage gunsmith.

Back
Top Bottom