• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weldable AR15 Receivers From The Flat Spot

Oooooh, draw file it... Olde School style.

As a learning exercise I tried my hand at filing and scraping a small piece of cold rolled flat and parallel - I have a great appreciation for the old school machinists who filed and scraped in 6' lathe beds
However it does give a sense of accomplishment when you can float something you scraped across a surface plate like a puck on an air hockey table.

Uh, where are the weld symbols? What is the material? What post weld heat treat? What about distortion?........ Just 'cuz some guy with CAD can draw it doesn't mean that it can or should be done.....

Uh, where are the weld symbols? What is the material? What post weld heat treat? What about distortion?........ Just 'cuz some guy with CAD can draw it doesn't mean that it can or should be done.....

You forge weld it and straiten it in the process, Silly. [wink] You could also friction weld it but getting the plates lined up perfectly upon stopping might be tricky.

That's nice - how, exactly, do you make it 'legal'?

Let's say I want to build an UZI and I buy a UZI 80% receiver, and complete the other 20%. With an ebay parts kit, I now have a 'gun', according to a gunsmith I spoke-to. I have an UZI - cool, I want one, happy-day. But now I have to register and tax-stamp the thing....yes?
No

The intense heat of welding tends to distort and warp things. I can TIG/MIG weld so understand this first hand. You would likely need to leave some extra material and hold off on critical holes and surfaces until after some final machining.

Also, milling steel is a lot harder than milling aluminum. I think it might be easier to start with an 80% lower made of aluminum.

I have the PDF
I've converted to machine files via Camworks.
Started making the pieces but got side tracked.

Back
Top Bottom