• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Welcome to Massachusetts...

bs.JPG

[laugh2]

I was just reading the following online article in todays Globe...

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/12/mass_ranks_as_t.html

Mass. ranks as the country's seventh healthiest state

Excerpt...

Massachusetts, however, still struggles with AIDS, tuberculosis, and hepatitis, ranking 37th out of the 50 states in infectious disease rates. The state also has a high violent crime rate -- ranking 32 out of 50 -- and has seen the number of children living in poverty jump by 16 percent in the last year.

Curious, I went to the United Health Foundation website (the source of the study)...

http://www.unitedhealthfoundation.org/ahr2006/components/violentcrime.html

The violent crime rate varies from a low of 98 offenses per 100,000 population in North Dakota, 112 offenses per 100,000 population in Maine and 120 offenses per 100,000 population in Vermont to a high of 761 offenses per 100,000 population in South Carolina, 753 offenses per 100,000 population in Tennessee and 708 offenses per 100,000 population in Florida. The national average is 469 offenses per 100,000 population, up 6 offenses per 100,000 population from the revised FBI crime rate for the prior year and down 140 offenses per 100,000 population from the 1990 Edition.

If "the toughest gun control laws in the nation" are so effective here... why is MA ranked at #32, yet ME, VT and NH come in at 1,3 and 4 respectively?

(see ranking chart at link).

I submit that Mumbles might be on to something!

You see... all those guns coming over the border and flooding MA result in more violent crime and because there's fewer guns in the border states
(fewer guns because the available supply is being smuggled into MA), that translates into fewer incidents of violent crime in those states.

That makes sense... right? [smile]

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Washington DC was not included in the study - strictest gun control and the highest violent crime rate.

Unfortunately, Washington DC was not included in the study - strictest gun control and the highest violent crime rate.

Would be interesting to see a list of cities WRT crime rate.... I'm sure
DefinitelyCrime and BaltiMurder are duking it out in the top 5.

-Mike

Welcome to Massachusetts

Last night at the fun club meeting a member told me about a bumper stickler he saw:

Massachusetts: Live Free or Here.

Back
Top Bottom