Weird Text Message

From an unknown number, I just got,
"Your Concealed Carry Permit is ready on your name. Enter your details here *****.com"

I'm not new to bullshit text messages... but I get a little freaked out when they mention my LTC.

I had a friend last week get that same text message. It's just spam. She used to live in MA but hasn't for 5 years. Just ignore it.

Same here, Treated it like any other suspicious message (text or email) DELETE IMMEDIATELY DO NOT GO TO ANY LINKS!

It didn't mention LTC.

If they mentioned Concealed Carry Permit - it is not Massachusetts.

Sounds like the scammers are gathering a list of gun owners.

Get your dog a heated doghouse and put him out back for a while.

Getting all sorts of spam texts lately. Waiting for friction Ass Teet and Teet to figure out how to globally block these things. Or maybe Crapple. Not sure if it's a legit text or an Eye-Message.

It didn't mention LTC.

If they mentioned Concealed Carry Permit - it is not Massachusetts.

Sounds like the scammers are gathering a list of gun owners.

Get your dog a heated doghouse and put him out back for a while.

Most dogs common to this area (very short haired dogs excluded) do fine in winter with a detached doghouse. We used to build a "tunnel" with an "L" out of stacked hay bales to break the wind from blasting straight in.

If you're still worried, add a 100 watt incandescent light bulb inside the dog house and it will give off enough heat to keep them comfortable. Plus they'll be able to read or do chores at night. Kidding. Our dogs never did chores except for barking away intruders.

A 100 watt light bulb? Surely you jest!

I do not jest.

Remember you're only heating a space that's maybe 3x4x2 or so, inside. There's plenty of heat shed by an incandescent bulb. Don't use an LED...

"Back in the day" we had a light bulb in the chicken coops for the coldest nights. Solar heat during the day (literally the coop had a sun room with old storm windows to let in the heat/light).

The barn was warm enough for horses and goats and the dogs we had were furry beasts.

Those chickens were "probably" fine without but it was easy enough to give them that bit of heat.

Yesterday i got a text telling me that my last chance to get a permit to carry in CT is today lmao! Block #, delete and carry on with your day.

This is one of those things you'd think GOAL would want to be on top of.

AFAIK it's illegal for MA to give out the LTC info after the globe tried to run a list of every LTC holder in the state, which means it's either an obvious scam everyone should be aware of, or the state is doing some new bullshit nobody ever brought up before.

Given towns are taking their sweet ass f***ing time for new LTC holders who won't know the ropes, it'd be real easy for someone to get excited and drop a name, address, and social in there.

Was it anything like this?

Didn't get a text but I got this in an email sometime back from someone at Gunbroker.

First if you act fast you can download the nation’s best Concealed Carry Permit available today.

It’s important you download it ASAP as anti-gun groups are trying to get rid of it.

Fortunately, because you can still download a certification for America’s top CCW gun permit from this website. (And you don’t have to leave your house to do it).

Downloading this permit online ensures you encounter:
  • Zero government red tape (and no exposing your private info to the Feds)…
  • Zero lines, classroom time or books to read…
  • Zero gun range time (You don’t even need to fire a gun to get this permit).
It’s as simple as visiting this site and answering a few questions (they’re simple). Plus you can complete the entire certification process online.

Download it directly to your phone or computer in as little as 30 minutes.

You don’t even need to own a gun to get this permit…
that’s why it’s been named America’s #1 Concealed Carry Permit.

31 states have agreed to accept this permit so far (it’s simply the closest and easiest path to a semi-nationally recognized permit that’s available right now).

This permit isn’t just a basic concealed carry permit either. It’s one of a kind… and is available to you No Matter what state you reside in.

→ But there is one thing you need to know…

Since it is so easy to get this permit, pro-gun-control lawmakers are aggressively searching for ways to ban access to it.

As such, you’ll need to download your online certificate today… especially since tomorrow this fast-track site could be shut down for good.

If you ever thought about getting a concealed carry permit here is your chance to carry legally. If you think you know some “gun basics” click here and download the certification today. Concealed Carry Permit

This is one of those things you'd think GOAL would want to be on top of.

AFAIK it's illegal for MA to give out the LTC info after the globe tried to run a list of every LTC holder in the state, which means it's either an obvious scam everyone should be aware of, or the state is doing some new bullshit nobody ever brought up before.

Given towns are taking their sweet ass f***ing time for new LTC holders who won't know the ropes, it'd be real easy for someone to get excited and drop a name, address, and social in there.

They might be getting the info from Gunbroker (or some other firearms related site), and they're just assuming anyone that has
an account there would be interested in their BS.

The joke was about the availability of 100 watt bulbs. I coulda been more clear.

Gotcha. They're out there, but yeah, buried under the avalanche of new generation leds, some come with a frigging remote control to dim or set the color temp :gag-me-with-a-spoon:

If all else fails, "appliance" bulbs meant for refrigerators, garage door openers, etc.

My kids had one of these many tears ago:

To heck with that. My brother had one of these, childhood destroyed:

He's turned into sort of a tool, but the original Alton Brown world tour - he uses Par80 (I think) lights to bake a pizza. Like 300 of them. It's blindingly annoying. LOL

Works fine keeping the 250-year-old barn warm, until one gets knocked over somehow, starting a fire , burning the barn to the ground, killing most of the animals in the barn, and badly burning the owner. FWIW, this isn't a "you'll shoot your eye out" story, it's what happened to my sister and BIL.

A side story. Back in the 90s, we had an Alaskan Malamute who had a detached doghouse out back. We'd make sure he had fresh straw bedding and the like, a change his water regularly if it froze. One time, I asked our vet if we should give him a blanket as well. The vet said that we absolutely should. When I said, "Oh, so that will keep him warmer", the vet said "No, that dog's good to 25 below. A blanket won't do a damn thing for him, but it will make you feel better."

Last edited:
Works fine keeping the 250-year-old barn warm, until one gets knocked over somehow, starting a fire , burning the barn to the ground, killing most of the animals in the barn, and badly burning the owner. FWIW, this isn't a "you'll shoot your eye out" story, it's what happened to my sister and BIL.

A side story. Back in the 90s, we had an Alaskan Malamute who had a detached doghouse out back. We'd make sure he had fresh straw bedding and the like, a change his water regularly if it froze. One time, I asked our vet if we should give him a blanket as well. The vet said that we absolutely should. When I said, "Oh, so that will keep him warmer", the vet said "No, that dog's good to 25 below. A blanket won't do a damn thing for him, but it will make you feel better."
Genuinely sorry to hear about your sister's experience. It seems like the answer is that if you want to put in something like that, you might as well make it permanent for exactly that reason:

Still better then getting a:

"There's someone in your house!" text on your phone

Works fine keeping the 250-year-old barn warm, until one gets knocked over somehow, starting a fire , burning the barn to the ground, ...
(I can't recapitulate it from memory, but) the most no-nonsense No Smoking sign
I ever recall seeing was an old one tacked up in some dairy barn.

For all I know, everyone else who ever saw it loved to smoke.
But it would be real nice if you didn't burn down the barn and everything in it... [angry]

Back
Top Bottom