1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

WEF is wrong with the mechanical service industry?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Obie1, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

So, my boat needed some repairs prior to a fishing trip next week. I know I waited too long, but called my usual repair shop in South Windsor with a few weeks to spare. Usually they just say, bring it in, but this time they said they are backed up for weeks, so I called a few other places--one said, yeah we can work with a 'Rude 225, lot's of experience. So I typed out a list of repairs needed, including the keypad code. A week later I get a call asking what is the keypad code? I called for an update, but was sent to voicemail, so I emailed asking for an update--nothing. WTF do you have an email on your website if you ignore it?
    I called again today--yep, it's all set. No interest in telling the customer when you are done? Oh, by the way, we couldn't get the keypad to work, so we bypassed it, but it runs fine. So, I ask, how do I start it without hot wiring it? Well, we don't know, that's a Ranger part. Did you call Ranger (some of the best customer service people in the country). No, they wouldn't have it. How do you know if you didn't call them? So now, I have to go pick it up without knowing if I can use it next week. I'm not going to out them yet--we'll see how it works out, but why has this become the norm in service?

Jason Flare likes this.
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I had two run-ins with Tasca Ford in between the recessions that just floored me. Second time, the front ball whatevers were toast. It sounded like a giant's popcorn machine when you drove it. Specifically asked for them to look at it. No one did. Called back. Said to bring it in. Service guy was a bit surprised it wasn't fixed. This wasn't the first time. It WAS the last time.

It was like they were shoving work out the door. But it didn't seem that busy. Oh, and some moron gave my loaner away to someone one time. They weren't real organized.

3. bfm

bfm NES Member

My father in law has been a boat mechanic at a marina for years. He gets a lot of side business doing on site repairs for people who are fed up with most of the shops around. He retired recently but just sticking to some of his regulars does not expect to actually lose much pay. Most of his regulars went to him after a shop broke something or was unable to repair something.

4. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

There is a reason I take care of my boat myself. Very few exceptions to this.

426wedge likes this.
  5. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    It's because lazbags seem to have become the new norm in the workplace. They brought in 200+ new hires last week(with no signs of slowing down), I'll be surprised if 30 make the cut.

Hell, I tried to buy a car(from a real dealership, not some no name lot with 10 cars on it) a few weeks ago with cash and the sales guys somehow still managed to ass that up.

How it should work(IMO),

Me: I'd like to test drive that(points to car).
    Sales guy: Need a copy of your DL, here's the keys.

--test drive--

Me: Here's a fistful of hundos.
    Salesguy: Here's the title, the keys, and we'll send the info to your insurance so you can swap plates and be outta here in ten minutes.
    Me: Sweet.

--ten minutes later--

Salesguy: You're all set, thanks for swinging by.
    Me: Later.

Doesn't seem too difficult does it?

Mother Deuce and KBCraig like this.
  6. Drix

Drix

A while back my brother had his 1 month old car with like 1k miles on it totaled by some moron with a cell phone. Needless to say when insurance paid out like 4 months later he was ready to take a suitcase of cash to the dealership and ride away in his new replacement- the problem? The dealership wouldn't take cash, my brother was crushed, he had dreams of dropping a borrowed pelican case with stacks of bennies on some salesmans desk and saying "I'll take that one"

So sad.

76Too and xjma99 like this.
  7. powerman

powerman NES Member

Here's our on going saga .
    wife makes appointment for recall air bag like 3 months ago for an appointment 2 months out, they giver her some hassle but take appointment.
    car brought in, airbag recall all was done and all set, however they park the car in not best spot.
    auto parts delivery guy backs box truck into car a removes fender flair, damages fender, sub fender, hood, front bumper and cowl and possible a tie-rod end
    at least 5k damage, they give us "will fix it no problem already ordered the parts etc.
    we were offered a loaner but refused figure it would be fixed quick,
    2 weeks go by an nothing, wife calls and they indicated they haven't even started repair but its at the shop
    except we think it got broken into since our cc company called and cancel a card that someone found on the street near the body shop.
    we indicate we need a loaner so they gave us brand new Grand Cherokee with 3600 miles on it.
    We been driving it last two weeks and plan on driving it until they call us and say her car is ready.
    we don't think will be anytime soon, they never call us, so we figured well have this for a while.
    we been racking up the millage.
    I may take it to Florida next month.

commodon likes this.
  8. mibro

mibro NES Member

I've thought about this a lot.

It comes down to three things imho.

1. Cheating people is more profitable than honest, thorough service as the customer is almost always completely ignorant of the workings of the product they own.

2. A shortage of people who want to work with their hands due to the "must go to college" culture.

3. The arrogance that results from 1 and 2. Whaddya gonna do? Fix it yourself?

9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

4 - way too many birdbrains leasing and throwing away or similar... it's even f***ed up how cars and trucks are sold....

ETA: 5. - people are skinflints and don't want to pay the real costs....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  10. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    I'd be driving the piss out of it and maxing out a CC on gas just out of spite.

While there are some decent shops out there the rest know they've got you by the balls. It's specifically why I'm trying to purchase an older, dumber car so I can do a fair amount of work myself(and bribe my brother with whiskey for when I need assistance).

mibro likes this.
  11. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

The bigger question is why are there so few people with a clue about repairing things mechanical?

In 47 years of owning multiple vehicles, I've only brought two of them to a shop, both for transmission rebuilds, one at a very discounted rate, the other a factory warranty. Every other mechanical problem I've encountered on any vehicle I've owned, I repaired myself. Oh, I did have a small briggs carb rebuilt once by a member here and he did a superb job.

Mowers, tractors, tillers, weed whackers, chainsaws, 4wheelers, trailers, splitters, cars, trucks etc.

People are losing their mechanical abilities in an age where there are instructions on how to do most things on youtube.

I think its partly a lack of time for some but more so sheer laziness with others.

Jason Flare and mibro like this.
  12. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind NES Member

Hmmm...we purchased a used car at a dealership last year....paid cash....it was counted at the cashier's office...filled out paperwork...drove out soon thereafter!

13. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

I base my business model on call people back. Sometimes I don’t answer the phone when on job sites but if you leave a message I will get back to you that day. Sometimes I don’t want the job or not something that is a good fit for me I will tell you that right away. So you can move on.
    I know I get jobs because I am the only one who called back and I have hired people to do work for me because the called back.

millbilly, TLB, SSShooter and 2 others like this.
  14. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

I actually did this 35 years ago. Bought an F 250. Tail end of the model year, asked them what they had for leftovers. They had a red one and blue one. I told them I'd be back tomorrow with cash for the blue one.
    Picked up, paid cash.....and ran out of gas about 2 miles from the dealership. Thing had two tanks. Two big tanks, and they didn't put any in either......

Uzi2 and mibro like this.
  15. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

My guess...

The economy has been good for too long. Too much work. They will regret it when everyone, except the few that are smart, lose their boats during the next recession and they have very few customers.

Jason Flare likes this.
  16. mibro

mibro NES Member

Agree 100%.

I started working on cars because I had no money. Discovered I enjoyed it and 44 years later it's a habit I can't break.

I guess I'll add that here in Moonbatville there are plenty of families with $400K to $500K household incomes and it makes economic sense for them to get cheated. It's better for them to throw $2K at a $200 problem because figuring it out and doing it for themselves would cost them more than $2k in lost time and mental effort.

I also think it's reasonable for a service shop to charge for the knowledge of how to fix something even though they can't really put a Knowledge Charge on their invoice. However, 90% of service is just routine bullsh!t. Shops actively avoid difficult jobs imho.

If running an honest shop were more profitable than cheating there would be a lot more shops doing that.

Coda and crazymjb like this.
  17. Broccoli Iglesias

We sold a house in Argentina. The buyer showed up to the closing with a bag full of cash and dumps it on the table. We all sat there counting cash. We were $10K short. The guy opens another bag, dumps more money on the table and says "here, take $10K from that pile" [laugh]

Then we go to the bank and dump a bag of cash on the woman working there.

knoxy, mibro and Jason Flare like this.
  18. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Sunnyside Ford in Holden worked exactly like that, except I wrote a check for the F150. There are some good dealers out there.

Regarding service, the skilled, honest, and reasonably priced shops have a backlog for a reason.

19. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

.....If it flies, floats, or fornicates......it's gonna cost ya.

20. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Problem these days is paying folks enough to GAF

21. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Back in the day, when I was selling cars, I had a customer come in, and pay $15,000 in cash for a ride.
    He'd counted it.
    I counted it (Trust, but verify).
    I recounted it.
    It was all there.
    I brought the pile of dead white guys to the cashier. [sfx: GASP] "How much is that?"
    I say, "$15,000.00"
    She writes me a receipt for $15,000.00

On my way out, I say, over my shoulder, "Actually, there's only $13,800.00" there.

Oh, the hilarity [rofl]

mibro, Uzi2 and Broccoli Iglesias like this.
  22. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

No the problem is the people doing the work not knowing how to properly troubleshoot a problem and do the job correctly to fix it. Doesn't matter what it is, a radio, a computer or a bulldozer or a lawn mower.
    Giving a fvck about one's own quality of work doesn't even factor into it when one knows what one is doing and there is only one way to do the job and thats the right way. They just do it and do it right..and a lot of that comes with experience.
    Sure a person might have a bad day and things go shitty but they should make it right without question and appologize for doing a shit job the first time.
    There is a real lack of knowledge out there and that is the problem.

commodon and mtnbiker26 like this.
  23. Yazz

Yazz NES Life Member NES Member

The problem is in all the hands on mechanical services.
    1. For three to four generations the majority of children are told by their teachers, parents, friends and government they need to go to college.
    2. They are never taught to work with their hands. They never had a paper route they had an allowance. Their Collage was paid by their parents or they have huge loan debt.
    3. They were brought up with cell phones and can't read a map.
    4. They don't know how to check the oil in their car let alone change it.
    I call them the GPS generation's because they cannot think three steps ahead. They listen to their GPS for each step.
    Plumbers, Electricians, HVAC tech's, Auto Mechanics...................
    The old ones are now retireing and the new ones (most of them) lack the training to think three steps ahead let alone ten.

Sauer Grapes, commodon, CAR and 2 others like this.
  24. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

The subject matter of this thread reminds me of the Zappa song "Flakes", and that was recorded 40 years ago, but still holds true today:

Yazz likes this.
  25. jaymce

jaymce

It's on both sides. People don't want to pay trades people for their time as we are always ripping them off, get paid to much etc etc.

Couple years ago I was prepping a car for paint. He was unemployed so I would take it easy on him. Work with him on Saturdays stuff like that. He decided it was taking to long and played into me about it. It had to get done. He started shopping for other shops. So I hammered on his car. 60hrs 1 week. Handed him a bill for $3500 50hr + cost on materials. He comes in with the bill. He says

"I got your bill..."
    I say "yes"
    him"that's a lot of money!"
    Me: Yep that's why it's been going slowly.
    Him: well... I know its fair... and...I know you put in the time and I really appreciate it...but I just don't want to pay it!

Problem is on several levels. Kids coming up think they should make as much as seasoned guys. You tube makes everyone an expert. Employers don't want to invest in employees. Employees will jump ship as soon as they are offered a dollar an hr more. People say they appreciate skilled labor as long as they are not paying.

miniion, commodon and drgrant like this.
  26. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

In the US, that gets you reported to FINCEN as a suspected money launderer.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  27. Broccoli Iglesias

Over there as well (to whatever the agency's name). We had to show all the paperwork and give copies to the bank. They made sure names matched, dollar amounts ...

It's not as easy as walking in and throwing money at them.

28. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

...or maybe we just don't want to do it. My days of turning a wrench are behind me. Despite my having the ability and the tools. I just don't like it and I make enough loot to pay a pro to do it for me.

I feel the pain of those who complain... When we roll into a shop and drop loot, an expectation of curtious service and proper repair is not an unreasonable expectation.

Thats why I pay on my CC. They f*** it up, I simply call CC and initiate a charge back for an improper repair and faulty service. Then I take it somewhere else.

I don't have time for bullshit.

Skysoldier likes this.
  29. mibro

mibro NES Member

You'll like this, sir.

Here's a pic of the driver side steering rack tube seal which I just pulled with a tool I cobbled together. I'm rebuilding the rack off my Tundra.

Rack Seal.jpg

knoxy likes this.
  30. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

I work in a related retail industry. We sell sporting goods that need to be serviced.

Three main issues:

Chronic short staffing because it's a seasonal business. They cut hours all winter and hire a few dip$hits in the spring. Probably one or two guys know what they're doing and the others know just enough to be dangerous.

Everything is getting so complicated that most of the hires are too dumb to do the work. You need smart mechanics, you need to pay them and you need to keep them on year round so they're motivated, happy employees with good knowledge of current designs.

The "Just get it done!" attitude from management and no consequences when the job comes back with problems. Profit above all else, work quickly and push garbage repairs out the door, too much emphasis on productivity rather than quality. My service manager is a retard...half his work comes back, everyone knows it, the complicated jobs come to me, they get solved the first time but I don't get any recognition for it because I take the extra time to do it right so my "numbers" don't look as good to the people in the office who have no clue what's actually happening in the service area. I used to get pissed, now I just shrug and say "It wasn't me.". I took most of my tools home and do sidework for the customers who've figured out that I'm "the guy".

commodon, KBCraig, AHM and 1 other person like this.