• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

weekend vacation in maine and open carry

i may be going to maine soon on a short vacation and i was not entirely sure i had the ME laws down %100.

i know i wouldn't have any problem bringing any of my firearms that i'd planned on brining but i had some questions about carrying. i know open carry is legal but according to everything i've read to be able to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle you have to have a CCW permit.

if for whatever reason i found myself in a vehicle if we had to go into town to shop would i be correct in saying that i'd have to unload the firearm i was carrying? would popping the round out of the chamber, putting it back in the mag and then keeping the magazine out of the firearm in my pocket be legal for the trip or does the chamber just have to be empty on an automatic?

I think you are going to find yourself face down on the sidewalk with a 200 pound cop on your back and neck. Just ask Dukinmaine or the guys from Weapon Craft what the rules are and what reality is.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
if it will end up being anything like some spots in MA/NH where the rule of thumb is you can but you shouldn't i probably will just leave the gun at the camp. it will be my frist trip up but it's a cabin in the middle of the woods and i think it was pretty far north.

up there anyway i doubt there will be any trouble as i've heard for the past 30 years people just go up there and relax, lots of them bring their guns so it seems like a friendly area. if i don't get to bring it into town i am not too concerned about it.

edit: i guess where we will be is part of north new portland. according to the ME state laws OC is perfectly legal except for in a car. what i will most likely do is just OC on the private camp and if i have to go into town i probably will just leave my gun at the camp. if i talk to some locals and they are fine with it i may just OC when i go into town next. i would have double checked the local LEOs but there is no mention of a police department for the town of less than 1,000 people!

getting all worried and thinking about checking with the police... yep, i'm from MA. [sad2]

Last edited:
The local police would be the county sheriff. I am too lazy to check, but I think that area is in Franklin County. You can give the sheriff a call, but expect a non answer on what the law is and a strong opinion on what would be wise to do. It is perfectly legal to OC.

I would give advice about it being in your car with a CWP. Since I have a CWP I am a little fuzzy on the law about that. Here is a link if you want to do the research.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/search.htm

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/12/title12sec11212.html

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD).]

Having said that, you will get some strange looks if you are open carrying in public.

Back
Top Bottom