• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weekend hunting thread Nov 4th - Updates

Just starting a thread to see how it go's for everyone. I just bought some stands and plan on trying out some less public land this weekend. Scouting the land is going to be the hardest part. But I bought a climber and if all looks right I plan to setup tomorrow in Zone 5.

Just starting a thread to see how it go's for everyone. I just bought some stands and plan on trying out some less public land this weekend. Scouting the land is going to be the hardest part. But I bought a climber and if all looks right I plan to setup tomorrow in Zone 5.

Definately cooling off. Winds are pretty good out here. Saw 1 doe at 80 but never anone tagging along. Maybe tommorrow as I need to go to zone 0 for the afternoon.

Was out in the am had a doe come by and within 30 minutes 4 bucks cruised her trail...the chase is on!

Been out for pheasant 5 times and only flushed a dove.
Of course, I think my kids aren't helping me (5 and 8) find anything within range. Then again, I'm happy enough taking a gun for a walk with my kids, lol.

How much do you guys worry about wind direction during the rut? I normally play the wind but my spot is hot right now gad bucks chasing does this morning and evening. I normally hunt it on a wnw, nw or nnw wind it's s sw in the am...worth the risk?

Been out for pheasant 5 times and only flushed a dove.
Of course, I think my kids aren't helping me (5 and 8) find anything within range. Then again, I'm happy enough taking a gun for a walk with my kids, lol.
If you are looking for a little more chance at success in harvesting something you should take the kids out for squirrel. I have found them quite abundant this season as the winter was mild last year. Have bee quite a few times and bagged some on every trip out so far this year! I have squirrels cleaned and stacked like cordwood in the drop freezer! Squirrel pies are gonna be made soon!!!!

How much do you guys worry about wind direction during the rut? I normally play the wind but my spot is hot right now gad bucks chasing does this morning and evening. I normally hunt it on a wnw, nw or nnw wind it's s sw in the am...worth the risk?

Hard to say without seeing the terrain. But if you have reasons for not hunting it with a SW wind then I would opt to let it rest. Over hunting the spot combined with hunting on the wrong wind sounds like a recipe to burn the spot out.

Practice setting up the climber in the dark quietly. Last year heard a guy maybe 1/4 mile away clanking away trying to set up a stand. Iv only been out twice this season. Passed on a doe at about 45-50 yards doable shot but the unknown of the brush made me pass. Nothing else yet. Will go out again Saturday morning

Back
Top Bottom