• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wedding announcement ettiquete

I received a formal wedding announcement today (fancy printing, envelope with the announcement was inside the envelope used to mail it). This was a "Mr & Mrs ... and Mr & Mrs ... announce the wedding of their daughter ... to .... on mm/dd/yy".

What struck me as odd is that the announcement was mailed a day or two after the wedding, which was held less than a week ago. I assume the announcement was mailed after the wedding so they would not get calls "does this mean we are getting invited to the wedding?". Note that in this case, no one in my family is close enough to the couple to have been expected to be invited.

So, my question is - am I being paranoid? Is this really just a friendly announcement, or is this trolling for wedding gifts from parties that the couple knows, but were not in the inner circle of "invite to the wedding" people? I'm curious was the actual custom is here.

That would be a very ballsy way to troll for gifts. I'd reply with a card of congratulations or best wishes or whatever you say.

Just announcing. No further things expected from you but you may acknowledge if you wish in any manner you wish. That's all.

I find that odd. Anyone in your life would know your getting married. Those who are not.. well who cares. Seems odd to waste a stamp.

used to be they would put it in the newspaper, but since their not "news" papers anymore, and no-one reads them anyhow, they spent the same money to send personal announcements???? idk, just a wag

I received a formal wedding announcement today (fancy printing, envelope with the announcement was inside the envelope used to mail it). This was a "Mr & Mrs ... and Mr & Mrs ... announce the wedding of their daughter ... to .... on mm/dd/yy".

What struck me as odd is that the announcement was mailed a day or two after the wedding, which was held less than a week ago. I assume the announcement was mailed after the wedding so they would not get calls "does this mean we are getting invited to the wedding?". Note that in this case, no one in my family is close enough to the couple to have been expected to be invited.

So, my question is - am I being paranoid? Is this really just a friendly announcement, or is this trolling for wedding gifts from parties that the couple knows, but were not in the inner circle of "invite to the wedding" people? I'm curious was the actual custom is here.

I also got one today and I'm assuming it is the same couple since you described the card very well. Me and the wife were confused as to what to do with it. The groom was a college roommate of mine and I play golf and talk to him occasionally still. He was at my wedding granted we were closer then and I have never had an announcement sent like this.

I received one similar to this many years ago from an ex-girlfriend that I've remained friends with ever since our college days. She had had a tough life and I was very happy for her as it appeared that she had landed on her feet. It was an acknowledgment to her friends.

I have been to way to many ****ing weddings. Everyone does it slightly different, but I have never heard of such a custom. Maybe a new thing?? Gotta keep those postal employees busy?

I would take it just as an announcement. I know when I got married, my wife's parents thought we should send announcements to people on her side who wouldn't come but were close enough that not making any mention might be taken as rude. (Lots of Aunts/Uncles and cousins so as a "general practice" they don't go to all the weddings or give gifts to everyone) Its possible they are trolling for gifts, but I would say not everyone who sends them out is. I think some people send them out just so there isn't the conversation of "Oh when did that happen? I can't believe I didn't know!"

I find that odd. Anyone in your life would know your getting married. Those who are not.. well who cares. Seems odd to waste a stamp.

^^^this...+ you're [smile]

def a waste of paper, time and money...they may want to get some cash out of it or maybe not...but if you didn't get an invite to the wedding you're probably not going to send money or even a card back...maybe you should send a cookie...but not an oreo or a thin mint, maybe just a vanilla wafer

I bet it's a new thing invented by the people who sell you wedding announcements.

It's the same reason that one should spend two months' salary on an engagement ring. They tried one month and that worked, so they upped it to two months to make more money and that worked. In this case they get people sending extra announcements because moar money in their pockets.

P.S. I'm a firm non-participator in scams like Valentine's Day, expensive diamond rings, etc. I'm also perpetually single, so there's that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got one once, an after the fact announcement. just made a mental note of it then tossed it in the trash. no fuss, no muss, no gift. never gave it a thought again, the wedding of course.

Not really. Some people just like to announce things that some may not care about too much. They like to put out too much information than is needed by us to live, like some on chat rooms like this.

If you don't like me enough to invite me to your wedding, save the postage on your stupid announcement because we're obviously not good enough friends for me to give a shit about your wedding.

Is this a new thing? "Look at us, Look at us!!!! We didn't even invite you to our wedding but LOOK AT US. LOOK! ****ING LOOK DAMMIT! WE <3 ATTENTION!!!!!"

I don't get it.

Let me guess, Patty wants to send a gift...................... [laugh]

They sent you a card because you are not on fake-book. [smile] (an assumption, I go on there about 3-4 times a year and didn't check)

If you don't like me enough to invite me to your wedding, save the postage on your stupid announcement because we're obviously not good enough friends for me to give a shit about your wedding.

Is this a new thing? "Look at us, Look at us!!!! We didn't even invite you to our wedding but LOOK AT US. LOOK! ****ING LOOK DAMMIT! WE <3 ATTENTION!!!!!"

I don't get it.

This ^. Definitely a weird thing to do and obviously trolling for gifts. Maybe troll them back with an announcement of your birthday shortly after it passes?... Or not.

Back
Top Bottom