Webley "WG" Army Model

The Goose

NES Member
I just acquired this yesterday. It is a Webley "WG" Army Model in .455/.476. On the top of the frame is marked Sold By J. F. King, Durban and on the side of the barrel beautifully engraved are the initials H.B.C.. This model was Webley's first use of the thumb type latch release lever that would become their trademark. The "WG" (Webley Government") was made to attract the British military and it did. It lead to the MK I which transitioned all the way up to the MK VI, the British service revolver until the late 1950's when they adopted the Browning Hi Power. This particular revolver is in beautiful condition. The bore is pristine, tight lock up and a way smooth double action trigger pull. Someone long ago replaced the grips which is kind of too bad, but also goes lend a bit of character. I completely took it apart last night and cleaned it. I am amazed at the craftsmanship, simplicity and robustness of this 100+ year old side arm.

I would love to find out who H.B.C. is. I did find an old volume on line called Durban: fifty years' municipal history by W. P. M Henderson
published in 1904 that mentions a J.F. King who was a city councilor of Durban in 1886. It would make sense that a prominent merchant who sold this "WG" might be a city councilor and the time frame is right. I will keep digging.

WG002_zps13b5c5e5.jpg

WG003_zpsa8dade20.jpg

WG006_zps42fe7ad8.jpg

WG008_zps5b160238.jpg

Last edited:
Actually the first thumb latch release lever appeared on the first model Webley Kaufman 1881-3. At about this same time the Webley/Wilkinson also used this innovation. WG's as early as 1885 also had them. Your firearm appears to be a 1892(?) example
Minutae only a Webley nut obsesses over!!

Wow that is gorgeous! Totally jealous. Those grips look like nice walnut like the ones on my Colt M1917.

Back
Top Bottom