Weather history for insurance company

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My daughter was in an accident last December. She slid on ice and hit a parked car. I want to fight the surcharge because it was weather related. I've searched but cant find a website with historical weather data for back then. I want to present it as proof.
Does anyone know where I can get this info?

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Weather info as noted above is helpful.
But as mentioned, try and put together some newspaper accounts of the lousy road conditions that day and hopefully the numerous car accidents that occurred.
Photos from the scene?
If the surcharge was against your daughter's license she may have to do the talking at the hearing depending on the attitude of the hearing officer...
I have found that if you clearly, concisely and respectfully present your case arguing extreme weather/road conditions you can usually catch a break.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Weather info as noted above is helpful.
But as mentioned, try and put together some newspaper accounts of the lousy road conditions that day and hopefully the numerous car accidents that occurred.
Photos from the scene?
If the surcharge was against your daughter's license she may have to do the talking at the hearing depending on the attitude of the hearing officer...
I have found that if you clearly, concisely and respectfully present your case arguing extreme weather/road conditions you can usually catch a break.
We did take pictures, I figured she would be the one talking. Hopefully if we get enough info together they'll give her a break. She's 17 and our insurance is ridiculous.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My daughter was in an accident last December. She slid on ice and hit a parked car. I want to fight the surcharge because it was weather related. I've searched but cant find a website with historical weather data for back then. I want to present it as proof.
Does anyone know where I can get this info?
you want certified data from National Climatic Data Center... all those aforementioned sites are third party crap... The NCDC is the gold standard for legal proof with regard to weather observations.
Climate Data Online (CDO) - The National Climatic Data Center's (NCDC) Climate Data Online (CDO) provides free access to NCDC's archive of historical weather and climate data in addition to station history information. | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

might be easier to just call a rep there for data on the day/year/location you want as the website is tough to find the exact product you want. They'll even "certify" it for you for legal purposes.

if you are looking for professional expertise for testimony, PM me and I can either write you up something to submit, or put you in touch with someone with courtroom testimony experience. Although I have the credentials, I do not have testimony experience.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you want certified data from National Climatic Data Center... all those aforementioned sites are third party crap... The NCDC is the gold standard for legal proof with regard to weather observations.
Climate Data Online (CDO) - The National Climatic Data Center's (NCDC) Climate Data Online (CDO) provides free access to NCDC's archive of historical weather and climate data in addition to station history information. | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

might be easier to just call a rep there for data on the day/year/location you want as the website is tough to find the exact product you want. They'll even "certify" it for you for legal purposes.

if you are looking for professional expertise for testimony, PM me and I can either write you up something to submit, or put you in touch with someone with courtroom testimony experience. Although I have the credentials, I do not have testimony experience.
The finding past weather posted above gives the option for certification with a link to NOAA and CDO. They want $132 for the certified stuff though.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question since I don't drive: does the insurance really care if the roads were icy? I mean...if they were that bad, they could argue that no one should have been driving.

Good luck and i hope you win the claim!

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The finding past weather posted above gives the option for certification with a link to NOAA and CDO. They want $132 for the certified stuff though.
yeah.. I didn't click that one.. I was referring more to WeatherWorks and Weather Underground.

the $132 is far better than my professional rate..

you could also try UMass-Lowell meteorology department. Maybe someone there will get it for you for cheaper. Won't be certified NCDC though.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Question since I don't drive: does the insurance really care if the roads were icy? I mean...if they were that bad, they could argue that no one should have been driving.

Good luck and i hope you win the claim!
In this case there wasn't a parking ban announced (which is unusual)so people were parked on the roads. The plows had to go around them which left berms which then froze. My daughter got caught in a berm which drew her right into the parked car. The main roads were clear as it hadn't snowed in a couple of days ,just bitter cold. Believe me I was pissed I let her drive but I didn't take this type of thing happening into account. The policeman who showed up said it was happening all over town.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yeah.. I didn't click that one.. I was referring more to WeatherWorks and Weather Underground.

the $132 is far better than my professional rate..

you could also try UMass-Lowell meteorology department. Maybe someone there will get it for you for cheaper. Won't be certified NCDC though.
The stuff I got for free is from National centers for environmental information and NOAA. Its the same just not certified. I may just run with that and hope they sympathize with the kid

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We did take pictures, I figured she would be the one talking. Hopefully if we get enough info together they'll give her a break. She's 17 and our insurance is ridiculous.
I'd bet on a win.....Many factors come into play. Claims person will be there but they just usually hand over their file material with no other input.
Remember, the hearing officer is busy and wants the facts. Be thorough but concise....

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Question since I don't drive: does the insurance really care if the roads were icy?
Yes in MA, because the state merit rating board will find one "not at fault, no license points assigned" if the accident was due to ice.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Sometimes WX conditions can change rapidly and suddenly produce road conditions that are not easily foreseeable.

I made the mistake of not challenging my light snow on top of ice / spinning wreck way back in 2010 and ate 4 points because of it, but every insurance type I've talked to is like "shit, you could have easily fought that given the circumstances".

-Mike

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Good luck. Even with that, you'll still stand a good chance of losing.

My daughter hit ice and totaled her car at about 25mph. (Rock off the road basically destroyed the underside of the engine bay.)

We got surcharged. We challenged. Went off to Brockton RMV. With the Ins rep. And the adjudicator.

2nd sentence out of daughter's mouth, "The cops said it was icy and the road hadn't been salted or sanded. It's in the report."

Adj asks, "Is it really????"

Ins guy says, "Yeah."

"OK, we're done unless you have anything else. You'll have my findings by next week."

We won. a**h*** ins. co hoped we wouldn't challenge.

BUT. . . . my agent said without the police corroboration, we stood less than a 50-50 chance of winning.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd bet on a win.....Many factors come into play.
A bit late now, but the earlier in the process you can get "ice" into the picture the better. My wife was in an accident with no police report but mentioned the ice in her accident report. She filed for an appeal and received a mailed reply "we have ruled in your favor based on documentary review". No need to even appear in person.

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I wish you luck. I had this exact thing years ago. Even had the police report stating ice. They came back with some type of law/cite that i was "traveling too fast for existing road conditions". I was very polite and courteous, dressed nicely, clean driving record, on time, etc. Perhaps I just caught them on a bad day. I didn't get a "surcharge" but did receive points which reduced my discount.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I didn't get a "surcharge" but did receive points which reduced my discount.
There is no difference between a surcharge and reduction of a discount.

A key point is to explain it as an unexpected patch of black ice on an otherwise clear road.

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And what a freaking racket!
The law requires you to buy insurance and then they punish you when you use to the benefit of the insurance industry........

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good luck. Even with that, you'll still stand a good chance of losing.

My daughter hit ice and totaled her car at about 25mph. (Rock off the road basically destroyed the underside of the engine bay.)

We got surcharged. We challenged. Went off to Brockton RMV. With the Ins rep. And the adjudicator.

2nd sentence out of daughter's mouth, "The cops said it was icy and the road hadn't been salted or sanded. It's in the report."

Adj asks, "Is it really????"

Ins guy says, "Yeah."

"OK, we're done unless you have anything else. You'll have my findings by next week."

We won. a**h*** ins. co hoped we wouldn't challenge.

BUT. . . . my agent said without the police corroboration, we stood less than a 50-50 chance of winning.
I got the police report and he said slid on ice patch. hopefully that along with the other stuff we have including photos will do it.

Top Bottom