• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weare NH P&R new permit junk

caboose84

NES Member
Sweating my nuts off in SouthWest Florida!
Wife went into the PD today to drop off her P&R license application. I went with her.

When we picked up the blank application yesterday they had a posted sign asking you to provide reference phone numbers. Just had her fill out the information requested on the form.

The receptionist asked her for phone numbers for her references- she stated we don't have to provide that. The receptionist started "Well this would make it easier otherwise we have to send letters to the references and we might not get things back in time" - I stated it's not required and you have 14 days.

So we'll see.

I bought my wife her first handgun yesterday- and she passed the check with no issues.

an acquaintance of mine is a hitter in the Republican party in NH; he filled out his CCW application, the three names he put down were two senators and a member of the Governor's council; no phone numbers. He called the PD 2 weeks later..'where's my permit?' [smile]
"we threw the application away, thought it was a joke, listing those people"
One of the Senators called the PD Chief an hour later.
He picked up the permit the next day. [rofl]

an acquaintance of mine is a hitter in the Republican party in NH; he filled out his CCW application, the three names he put down were two senators and a member of the Governor's council; no phone numbers. He called the PD 2 weeks later..'where's my permit?' [smile]

[laugh2]

Stick to your guns. I doubt that the level of ambition to send letters exists. Jack.

This. The law is the law. As you said they have 14 days. What they have to do to complete your application is not your problem, provided you've supplied them with all information required by law.

We will stick to our guns- my wife asked me to come with her in case they tried to pull such stuff.

It'll be interesting to see what happens- as two of her references are individuals who deal with the PD on a near daily basis- as they both work in administration in the local schools.

But I'm almost willing to bet they will issue silently- if you assert your rights and they know it I don't believe they want to play any games. Easier pickings elsewhere.

If they delay- well please discuss this with my attorney.

Wife went into the PD today to drop off her P&R license application. I went with her.

When we picked up the blank application yesterday they had a posted sign asking you to provide reference phone numbers.

That sign has been on the wall for quite a while.

It was there 7 or so years ago when I bought my house there.

Update-

I am a reference for my wife- and I got a letter in the mail today. It states-

"Dear Mr. Caboose84,

Your name has been given as a reference on a pistol permit application for Ms Caboose84. In order to keep our town safe we generally speak with all references personally that are listed on applications. We have, by law 14 days to gather information and issue or deny the pistol permit, having phone numbers to speak with references speeds this process up considerably.

If we could have a few minutes of your time to speak with Officer Brandon Montplaisir at 529-7755, reference to Ms Caboose84 it would be greatly appreciated. You may also call in to let us know your phone number so that Officer Montplaisir may contact you.

If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the office during business hours.

Sincerely-
John D. Velleca
Chief of Police"

The really funny thing is my wife knows Officer Montplaisir very well- my wife worked at the middle school in town and he was constantly in the school- for issues and as a resource officer.

No I will not be responding- I want to see what happens.

When my wife was a reference on my application- she did not get a letter.

When I last got my permit in 2010 they had a sign up stating they had 14 *business* days to respond. At least that has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the cancer is spreading up here.

Did these people forget their place or something?

It's not required by the ****ing law, *******.

I'd tell them that too. **** them.

Wow. I mean really just WOW. Obviously it pissed me off when we had that whole dealing with the Hampton PD when it came to me getting mine, but this is like the third town I've heard of since then giving people a hard time by trying to force arbitrary "requirements"that they just plain aren't allowed to have.

Funny enough, even though Hampton PD "required"me to list local non-related references with phone numbers; my totally related to me, long-distance, and non-phone-numbered defenses were never contacted...hmm...

Edit: I can't spell... Also auto correct

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Nothing prevents a police department from *asking* any question they wish. They didn't refuse her application.

The police can ask questions of any reference listed- the real issue is what they do if they don't get any repsonse in the time they have to grant or deny the permit.

The day before we put in the application I bought my wife her first handgun for her birthday- she is the one who the background check was run on. So she is not prohibited from owning a firearm- thus per the law she is presumed to be a proper person to carry concealed.

I will not be talking to the police- and I hope her other references do not as well. Then at 14 days we'll see if they play any games. Friday March 7th will be the day.

Nothing prevents a police department from *asking* any question they wish. They didn't refuse her application.

The police can ask questions of any reference listed- the real issue is what they do if they don't get any repsonse in the time they have to grant or deny the permit.

The day before we put in the application I bought my wife her first handgun for her birthday- she is the one who the background check was run on. So she is not prohibited from owning a firearm- thus per the law she is presumed to be a proper person to carry concealed.

I will not be talking to the police- and I hope her other references do not as well. Then at 14 days we'll see if they play any games. Friday March 7th will be the day.

Actually, no.

The police cannot ask for identification. They can't ask for fingerprints. These are statutorily prohibited requests. If they ask, they're breaking the law.

Stick to your guns. Don't cave. If they start playing dirty, contact "design" (Rep. JR Hoell - Dunbarton) and PGNH, etc.

Well her permit was ready today- just picked it up. When she called to ask about it (an hour ago)- the receptionist apologized and said the secretary would've called but was out sick- my wife did list her cell number on the application.

The PD did try to call the house last weekend- brilliant police work to locate our home number there- but we ignored it.

So no test case here.

Back
Top Bottom