Wear proper clothing...(not firearm related)

Executive

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I was breaking up a brick enclosure under a meter socket today and a piece of broken brick fell, cutting my leg. This was the nastiest cut I have ever had and the first in my life requiring a trip to the hospital. Call me a baby, but I was scared sh!tless when I saw how deep the gash was adjacent to my tibia, right above the top of my boot. Fortunately I was not working alone. This laceration required fourteen stitches. I was wearing gloves, eye protection, and heavy work boots. I was also wearing shorts. I am convinced that had I been wearing long work pants, this would not have happened. As an (embarassed) OSHA instructor, I constantly teach the importance of proper PPE (personal protective equipment), this will now include wearing long pants. Be careful out there everyone.

Chris

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Check out the scar on my left leg sometime. Ran around a trailer when I was about 12 and the rusty fender gouged a hole down to the bone and several inches long. The shots for the infection were a lot worse than the cut itself.

Amazing how fast and severe stuff can injure.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Martlet said:
This thread is useless without gory pictures.

And I know just what you are saying... I can't tell you how many OSHA classes I have under my belt. Yet, I'm always finding myself doing things that I look back on and say, "Holy crap, how did I not end up in the ER?"

I'm glad that you are OK. And good to hear that this your first trip in for stitches. They aren't fun... I've had to go in for them MANY times. And they never are fun.

But this is from the one that would wear hearing and eye protection when I'm cutting the grass, running the weed wacker, or the snow blower... But only wear gloves in the winter....even knowing that high speed vibrations cause a lot of damage and you should wear when using the other two things as well...

But then, I used to love talking PPE and Occupational Heath... But then that's why I went into Environmental Engineering in college.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear it wasn't a bad cut..

i was helping a friend move a nice rusty corvette frame and i caught my leg on a sharp edge..glad it was only about a 2-3 inch cut an not to deep,just didn't feel like getting a tetanous shot do to the fact that it was all rusted..

Top Bottom