Weapons ban

FNG

My wife and I have yet to purchase our first gun since receiving our licenses. I want to buy an AR15. So now it appears that the Assault weapons and semi-auto part of any new gun law is being dropped along with high cap. mags. Should I hold out a bit longer to see if these gun prices start to drop back to a normal price point? We are going to a gun show next week and was planning on "pulling the trigger" on the best deal I could find on an AR there.

Prices have already started falling. I have actually seen a couple AR's are near pre freak out prices. You'll probably find a better deal at a local gun shop or on the forums here than at a gun show.

Maybe not a AWB on a federal level, but all the usual suspects are doing it on their own.

This, and CT is long gone.

But OP, ARs have returned and the prices have dropped some. Check high volume shops and get on the phone to Four Seasons, Collectors, Acme Armament.

From what I understand gun shows are not really the best place to expect any spectacular deals on guns, you will probably have better luck and less hassle at a decent gun shop. Good luck getting ammo though.

If you live in CT, you can NEVER again buy an AR15, period. They are all outlawed by the new bill. Those who do have them will have to register them by January of next year. They can not sell them to anyone in state and must sell them out of state through an FFL. We still don't know what it says about bequeathing them to family, however. Sorry, you're just a few days late.

Rome

My wife and I have yet to purchase our first gun since receiving our licenses. I want to buy an AR15. So now it appears that the Assault weapons and semi-auto part of any new gun law is being dropped along with high cap. mags. Should I hold out a bit longer to see if these gun prices start to drop back to a normal price point? We are going to a gun show next week and was planning on "pulling the trigger" on the best deal I could find on an AR there.

MA is going to be passing its own gun control clusterf&ck laws soon (worse than CT and NY), so even if nothing happens federally, it would behoove you to get one now.

If there is no Grandfathering and they come to my door - they best come heavy. I stand with the Constitution, and either we all stand together or we all fall separately.

I'm so happy the state 'lets' law abiding citizens keep a Constitutionally protected item. [puke2]

Last edited:
I am surprised by the unspoken assumption that the soon-to-be-passed MA gun laws will still have grandfathering clauses.

The trend is "confiscation in a generation" as shown by CT and NY. Outright banning and door-to-door confiscation is still a no-no. Instead, the way they get around it is to ban transfers of grandfathered guns, thus ensuring that they are gone once the owner moves/dies/turns it in/etc.

Last edited:
We need to find out if a trust will allow you to pass these weapons to a family member/other person named in said trust.

-JR

I am surprised by the unspoken assumption that the soon-to-be-passed MA gun laws will still have grandfathering clauses.

The Patrick bill specifically does not grandfather magazines over 10 rounds. After a specific amount of time to sell them out of state or turn them into police, it will be a felony to possess one if the bill passes.

Here in CT they initially tried to confiscate our 10+ mags. We hoisted them on their own petard, however, because it was pointed out to the state that if they were going to deprive us of our property, they had to pay us fair market value. The cost of that became prohibitive really quickly. Now, giving you until date certain to dispose of your property before making it illegal constitutes the same problem for them. They can't make you dispose of what you own in a distress sale. If every person in MA went to sell their mags, the cost of 30 round mags would be in the dumpster. Seems to me that you'll able to fight that part of your gun bill.

Rome

Confiscation presents serious financial, logistical and legal challenges. The CT approach is simply "delayed confiscation" as there does not appear to be a mechanism for heirs to retain lawful possession.

Here in VT they had about ten ARs - most new on the walls. Most were around 900-1100.

About normal.

Price for the AR is one thing...getting the ammo and not getting raped is a whole different ballgame!

Live in the right state, you don't have a problem. You even get choices. I don't know of but a couple of calibers you can't easily get right now. And the top two would be 35 Win SL and 351 Win SL. And they just take a little extra time. 9mm isn't on the list. 22LR is close. Just got to know where to get it, and be reasonable to the guys. And they don't gouge. Just don't ask for huge amounts of some stuff from them. I know one guy that will jack the price up if he thinks you'll gouge others. He just doesn't want to sell to gougers.

Skip the gun shows and go to a reputable dealer.

Exactly. Smartest comment I've seen lately, and I've seen some pretty good ones.

Back
Top Bottom