Weaponlights + weaponlight/laser advice

Seeing how much there is an anti China and anti 'made in China' sentiment among the gun community at large, how do you guys feel about Streamlight's TLR weaponlights? I've had some bad experience with cheaper lights from Olight [lever mount not tight and secure enough] and other no name brands falling off the rails after double tapping recoil, but my handful of mounted TLR1 lights never gave me any trouble. Until today - my TLR2-HL battery door snapped open and bits of plastic disintegrated away and the rolling pin that held it in came off as well. I never realized how much plastic was on the critical parts that were supposed to seal the battery door in. Light was never fired with while on a pistol for over 4 years and just sat on the rail of the pistol in the kydex holster at home. I did my monthly oiling and checking and there it was - broken door.

Do you people trust the TLR series? Or was I just unlucky? Should we all just buy Made in MURIKUH Surefire stuff?

They do have a bad rap on the interwebs for just what you experienced, the battery compartment breaking. I have a TLR1 myself, I haven't shot with it a ton, maybe 5-600 rounds, no issues. I also have an Inforce pistol light with about the same number of problem free rounds on it, and a Surefire x300 with a few thousand rounds with no problems. I guess I have been lucky with lights.

Seeing how much there is an anti China and anti 'made in China' sentiment among the gun community at large, how do you guys feel about Streamlight's TLR weaponlights? I've had some bad experience with cheaper lights from Olight [lever mount not tight and secure enough] and other no name brands falling off the rails after double tapping recoil, but my handful of mounted TLR1 lights never gave me any trouble. Until today - my TLR2-HL battery door snapped open and bits of plastic disintegrated away and the rolling pin that held it in came off as well. I never realized how much plastic was on the critical parts that were supposed to seal the battery door in. Light was never fired with while on a pistol for over 4 years and just sat on the rail of the pistol in the kydex holster at home. I did my monthly oiling and checking and there it was - broken door.

Do you people trust the TLR series? Or was I just unlucky? Should we all just buy Made in MURIKUH Surefire stuff?
Send it back, they will take of it. Probably send you a new replacement.

I broke one once, because I was abusing it that day, actually abusing it a lot. They replaced it, no questions asked.

I've had good luck with my TLR-3, for what it's worth. I have one on my nightstand gun, an H&K P30. I don't take it off when I go to the range and, so far, it's held up well for me.

All I own is surefire and Steiner Products. They worked flawlessly…. If you work for a government agency the visual lasers are definitely better. But everything I uses invisible to the naked eye anyway. Just a thought. The shit isn’t cheap

Like I said, I already broke one. The replacement seems to be holding up. But, between that and what your saying, scew it.

I’m happy with their rifle lights and handhelds, but that whole experience with pistol lights was enough for me

Back
Top Bottom