• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weapon light suggestions

I’m looking for a weapon light on my rifle, mainly for home defense. I’ve been looking at modlite, surefire, streamlight and others.

I’m not sure I need a 400 dollar light, do you guys recommend any or have any suggestions based on ones you have used?

I think a Surefire G2 series light will fit your bill. Home defense with not a whole of banging it around in and out of vehicles or on rocky surfaces, should last for years for you. Only about 70.00 or so. Get yourself a decent mount that fits the particular rail system you have and you’ll be fine.

Arisaka 300 series light body(surefire) and arisaka keymod inline mount, malkoff 600 lumen head, surefire tail cap and tape switch in a cloud defensive light control system! Couldn't imagine a more functional/ cleaner light system!
Screenshot_20200319-205629_Gallery.jpg

Streamlight TLR-1 HL

I have one of these and it's too much light for indoors. One blip of the light and I've got a white circle burned into vision. Outdoors it's not as bad. I'd look at the regular TLR-1.

ETA: I like the way this light works but sometimes if you hit the momentary too fast it switches to strobe mode which is annoying AF. Can we please stop putting strobe functions on lights? I'm sure it has it's uses but I'd rather have the switch do the same thing every time I press it. On a whim I just looked up if there's a fix and there is. I have to try this ASAP.

From Streamlight...

Strobe OperationThe TLR-1®s, TLR-2®s, TLR-1 HPL®, TLR-1 HL®, TLR-2 HL®, TLR-2® G and TLR-2 HL® G feature a strobe mode that can be activated by the paddle switch. Within 0.4 seconds, press the paddle switch into the momentary position, release and immediately re-press and hold for strobe.Strobe Enable/DisableThe TLR-1®s, TLR-2®s, TLR-1 HPL®,

TLR-1 HL®, TLR-2 HL®, TLR-2® G and TLR-2 HL® G ship from the factory with the strobe mode enabled.The light can be reprogrammed to disable strobe by tapping the momentary paddle switch very rapidly ten times and holding it down on the tenth time. Hold until the light turns off (about one second) which indicates reprogramming was successful. Repeat the procedure above to re-enable the strobe mode.

NOTE: Activation of the strobe function is NOT recommended with the remote switch. Strobe should be disabled.

Last edited:
I have Fenix lights on all my rifles, I have them mounted with a scope ring. Works perfectly for me, the tail light is awesome for quick burst or turning on and off. 581B6226-E356-48BA-8AA9-51BD927ECBA5.png

I’m looking for a weapon light on my rifle, mainly for home defense. I’ve been looking at modlite, surefire, streamlight and others.

I’m not sure I need a 400 dollar light, do you guys recommend any or have any suggestions based on ones you have used?

SF M600DF is what I have on my 14.5" and 16" guns. I have an Arisaka/Malkoff m300 on my short gun. On a rifle, I want a light with a bit more horsepower.

This is a pretty good deal...

If you expect to trust your life to it, only way to go is Surefire. It might cost more but it's still cheaper than your funeral. I've had every brand fail with light use, except Surefire, and the only light most people will trust that actually use them every day is Surefire. Streamlight will be a close second, but I had a streamlight pistol light crap out on me after it's first range day. My surefire lights see a lot a of shooting, never had one fail.

Olight, Fenix, etc are great for edc, normal day to day flashlight use, but they are just not up to durability standards for a weapon light that you're gonna depend on.

When this crap starts getting suggested is when I become very concerned unless you are ok with local law enforcement just grabbing people and locking them up without trial, having the authority to ignore your civil rights, including 2A.

Surefire X300U-B gets my vote. The rocker with momentary or constant on is just simple, 1000 lumens is nice (sample the disorientation by flashing it at a mirror), and it's one light and battery type for all my guns (six mounted lights and counting).

SF M600DF is what I have on my 14.5" and 16" guns. I have an Arisaka/Malkoff m300 on my short gun. On a rifle, I want a light with a bit more horsepower.

This is a pretty good deal...

I ended up getting the M600, $195 was a good price. Thanks for the suggestions

Do not get anything under 500 lumens!!!
Make sure it turns on BEFORE it CLICKS on. That way you can turn it on and off quietly before fully clicking it on.

RC

If you're interested in some of the Streamlight products, there's a pretty good sale over on DVOR

instead of making a new topic I thought I'd just bump this one. I know surefire is the go to but has anyone tried the new streamlight rifle light? Looking at the RM2. It's got the design similar to the inforce but supposedly more reliable etc.

A few thoughts after years of owning weapon mounted lights. (since back when they had filaments) As well as having taken S&W Academy and Surefire classes on the proper use of weapon mounted and hand held lights. (and shot a bunch of night stages in IDPA where I learned that I wasn't really that good. Ha. )

1) Streamlight is 90% as good as surefire at 35% of the cost.
2) you don't want 800 lumens for home defense. Unless you live in a basketball court. IMHO about 300 lumens is ideal.
3) Take a course or read a book on the proper use of a light. It might not work like you think. (hint, it stays off 99% of the time).

Do not get anything under 500 lumens!!!
Make sure it turns on BEFORE it CLICKS on. That way you can turn it on and off quietly before fully clicking it on.

RC

I disagree with almost everything you said.

1) I own a TL1 HL. Its 800 lumens. I also own an inforce with 250ish lumens. The InForce is more appropriate for inside use. You don't want something so bright that the reflected light kills your night vision in a second.

2) your handheld light shouldn't click at all. It should be a pure momentary switch. If you want it to stay on, you turn the knob. Your sweeps should be quick. If you are stressed, what do you think the chance is that you will push just hard enough to make the light come on momentarily but not so hard it clicks on.

Remember, you know the interior layout of your home MUCH better than someone breaking in. Unless you are clearing rooms, usually a dumb idea, darkness can be your friend.

I run a TRL-1 HL on a full size 1911 and I never really thought about that. That's a good point. This would be on a bullpup so it could possibly indoor and outdoor use. The smaller RM1 less bright RM1 would take up less rail space but that won't matter much with that separate button. So is it worth spending the extra on the button/switch kit?

You're not up against trained operators; you're just trying to make sure you shoot the people who need shooting.

If someone is walking up the stairs in the dark, a sudden 800+lumens to the face from the top of the stairs does two things. 1. Temporarily blinds the Walker, 2 gives the person upstairs a chance of making sure it's not the cat. (Or 2 year old Lucy Whoo Daughter )

I've got Nitecore P12s on almost everything. Old Surefire with a K2 head with the pistol. All in Odin mounts.

The nitecores are fine for my budget on the 5.56 guns.

Streamlight is in the shotgun, but it's been swapped a few times with a nitrilon Surefire G2 led. (old case, new head and tail assembly)

If you run hand switches, don't forget to pick up a pack of rubber bands / ranger bands for securing the wires.

Also use them for your sling. You do have a sling. Right?

If someone is walking up the stairs in the dark, a sudden 800+lumens to the face from the top of the stairs does two things. 1. Temporarily blinds the Walker, 2 gives the person upstairs a chance of making sure it's not the cat. (Or 2 year old Lucy Whoo Daughter )

I've got Nitecore P12s on almost everything. Old Surefire with a K2 head with the pistol. All in Odin mounts.

The nitecores are fine for my budget on the 5.56 guns.

Streamlight is in the shotgun, but it's been swapped a few times with a nitrilon Surefire G2 led. (old case, new head and tail assembly)

If you run hand switches, don't forget to pick up a pack of rubber bands / ranger bands for securing the wires.

Also use them for your sling. You do have a sling. Right?
It also give the intruder a target.

You've lost me with some of the light jargon lol. Yes I have a sling. What are the bands for on the sling? I like the idea of the inforce wml design but heard the reliability isn't great. So now streamlight has a similar design but the button isn't as sleek because of the ability to have that remote switch. This is all on an x95 with an angled foregrip. I'm thinking if I mount the light on the left rail my thumb should be right there with no need for a switch.

What got me really thinking of this was the olight Odin launch. Seemed like an amazing deal on a light with a good mount and a small flashlight. But olight is made in China and I'm trying to avoid that. No I'm not going to throw everything in my house away or my phone. But when there's another option I'm going to try and go for that.

I understand but a light makes a great target in the dark.

Don’t walk around your house with the light on. Yes, that will give you away before you enter a room. But be smart about it’s use. Get training. A light is extremely important for positive ID of target.

Also, the light itself is a force multiplier because you can momentarily take a guy out of the fight with a strong enough light in his face.

Back
Top Bottom