Weapon & ammo storage and transport

I don't know, maybe I'm just too thick or anal, so I apologize in advance if that turns out to be the case... and please... yes I understand you are not all lawyers, and can't legally advise me ... I just can't seem to understand this... maybe these are good questions ... I can't be the only one wondering these things... can I?

Can somebody please let me know - in small words so I can grasp this - how to store a handgun and ammo in Rhode Island.
I have a blue card but no CCW....
So when I am home, on my property, I can leave it out, unlocked, and carry or not; correct?

When I am not home:
  • MUST I have it locked in a handgun safe?
  • MUST the gun itself have a (trigger or cable) lock on it while it is locked in the safe?
  • Can I leave it in a bedroom drawer - not in the safe - with the (cable or trigger) lock on it?
  • I use a shelf mounted electronic handgun safe, can that be just on a shelf, or does it have to be bolted down?
  • Can that safe be in the same closet as the ammo?
  • Does the ammo itself need to be locked in a different safe?
  • Can a clip be left in a drawer if I am not in the house, and the gun is locked in the safe?
  • FYI - all these questions pertain to a loaded weapon.

For getting the weapon and ammo to the club:
  • Is it meeting the law if I lock the handgun(s) with a cable lock, put them in plastic hard cases, drop the cases in a backpack, and put the backpack in the rear cargo area of my SUV?
  • Can I put that backpack on the back seat, or on the floor in the back (not the cargo area)?
  • Ammo is carried outside of the backpack, is it OK in the glove box?
  • Would that glove box have to be locked?
  • I have two glove boxes - one right above the other - my papers are in one, the ammo is in the other. If I get stopped, do I need to tell the cop that I have guns locked in the back and ammo in the glove box, (unless he asks)?
  • Does the question "Do you have anything else in the car I need to know about?" mean I am *supposed* to tell him... I personally don't think he needs to know about that!

Sorry for the banal questions, ... maybe I wear too much tin foil on my head, but this is what I just cannot seem to get decent answers on. No need to worry, not holding anyone legally responsible here, but I am looking for some informed opinions. I feel I really need to ask.

Last edited:
Really?? ... even if I was form Mass?..
I don't understand...
heh... thanks for the helpful replies.

Couldn't resist, here are your answers:

Can somebody please let me know - in small words so I can grasp this - how to store a handgun and ammo in Rhode Island.
I have a blue card but no CCW....

So when I am home, on my property, I can leave it out, unlocked, and carry or not; correct?

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

Meaning you can carry on your property, even someone living in MASS can carry concealed with their valid permit as they travel from Fall River to Springfield if they go though Providence.

When I am not home:
  • MUST I have it locked in a handgun safe?
  • MUST the gun itself have a (trigger or cable) lock on it while it is locked in the safe?
  • Can I leave it in a bedroom drawer - not in the safe - with the (cable or trigger) lock on it?
  • I use a shelf mounted electronic handgun safe, can that be just on a shelf, or does it have to be bolted down?
  • Can that safe be in the same closet as the ammo?
  • Does the ammo itself need to be locked in a different safe?
  • Can a clip be left in a drawer if I am not in the house, and the gun is locked in the safe?
  • FYI - all these questions pertain to a loaded weapon.

§ 11-47-60.1 Safe storage. – (a) Nothing in this section shall be construed to reduce or limit any existing right to purchase and own firearms and/or ammunition or to provide authority to any state or local agency to infringe upon the privacy of any family, home or business except by lawful warrant.

(b) A person who stores or leaves on premises under his or her control a loaded firearm and who knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child's parent or guardian, and the child obtains access to the firearm and causes injury to himself or herself or any other person with the firearm, is guilty of the crime of criminal storage of a firearm and, upon conviction, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both. For purposes of this section, a "child" is defined as any person who has not attained the age of sixteen (16) years.

(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this section shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:

(1) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry of any premises by any person or an illegal taking of the firearm from the premises of the owner without permission of the owner;

(2) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secured;

(3) The firearm is carried on the person or within such a close proximity so that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person;

(4) The firearm is locked with a locking device;

(5) The child obtains or obtains and discharges the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person;

(6) The person who keeps a loaded firearm on any premises which is under his or her custody or control has no reasonable expectations, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.

(d) If the person who allegedly violated this section is the parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies as the result of an accidental shooting, the attorney general's department shall consider among other factors, the impact of the injury or death on the person who has allegedly violated this section when deciding whether to prosecute an alleged violation.

(2) It is the intent of the general assembly that a parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies of an accidental shooting shall be prosecuted only in those instances in which the parent or guardian behaved in a grossly negligent manner.

Meaning if you have reason to believe that a child can gain access to your firearms, lock them up. IF not, still lock it up, or not, its your choice. I keep most of my firearms and ammo in a fireproof safe.

For getting the weapon and ammo to the club:
  • Is it meeting the law if I lock the handgun(s) with a cable lock, put them in plastic hard cases, drop the cases in a backpack, and put the backpack in the rear cargo area of my SUV?
  • Can I put that backpack on the back seat, or on the floor in the back (not the cargo area)?
  • Ammo is carried outside of the backpack, is it OK in the glove box?
  • Would that glove box have to be locked?
  • I have two glove boxes - one right above the other - my papers are in one, the ammo is in the other. If I get stopped, do I need to tell the cop that I have guns locked in the back and ammo in the glove box, (unless he asks)?
  • Does the question "Do you have anything else in the car I need to know about?" mean I am *supposed* to tell him... I personally don't think he needs to know about that!

§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range. – No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.

Meaning that is doesn't matter where it is as long as it's unloaded and in a locked box, could be the glove box or trunk and separate from the ammo.

Oh, and don't speak to the cops, spend enough time on the forum and you will learn why real quick.

Thanks. I've read the laws quite a few times, but for some reason I seem to struggle with settling on exactly what they are saying. Thank you for the insight, I think thats what I was looking for.

Thanks. I've read the laws quite a few times, but for some reason I seem to struggle with settling on exactly what they are saying. Thank you for the insight, I think thats what I was looking for.

No children in my house, so when myself or my wife is home, there is always a shotgun in the bed holster.

Back
Top Bottom