• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weak hand index on trigger guard?

This is something that I've thought about briefly in the past, but I saw it again recently and it's got me thinking again. How many of you regularly shoot with your weak hand index finger placed on the front face of the trigger guard? This image shows clearly what I'm talking about:

IMG_4619%25255B1%25255D.jpg

I also got curious and l thumbed through the latest issue of FrontSight and saw 5 shooters using this technique, which I found interesting.

To those of you that do this, have you always shot like this, or was it something you picked up later? Does it make a big difference in your shooting? At first look, and first dry fires like this, it seems really uncomfortable. To me, it also seems like I'd pull shots like this, but I haven't tried it with live ammo yet so I can't say for sure. Next time I go out I'm going to give it a whirl just for my own experience, but I was interested to hear from any followers of this style.

For me it is a no-go. Short hands...

I've tried it, and I tend to pull it off to the left when I do. Depends on the gun. 9mm, no problem.. Anything land cannon ish, and I'll flinch it off to the left.

Yeah, Eric does it but he shoots a thousand rounds a day. Do what the guy on the cover of Front Sight does instead.

I've tried it, and I tend to pull it off to the left when I do. Depends on the gun. 9mm, no problem.. Anything land cannon ish, and I'll flinch it off to the left.

^^me too
i used to shoot like this then forced myself to use more conventional grip which I now prefer.

Finger over trigger guard helped a wee bit with recoil but I found it difficult to "squeeze" my shot without also pulling POI to left. Also each pistol has different trigger guard making this grip not too universal at least for me. YMMV.

Uhhhhhhhhh........I'd really have to practice that alot. Why? Because if I picked up a revolver with the same grip the results might not be so pretty. That plasma plume is not too much farther forward than that trigger guard.

i've tried it. doesn't work for me. weak hand thumb has no place to go in this scenario where it doesn't get in the way, at least for me. YMMV

I used this hold for quite a while, even to the point that I had a hook installed on the trigger guard. I gave up on this hold eventually because I felt that it gave the weak hand index finger too much control over the gun.

I place my left palm below the strong hand, index and ring finger left and right on my strong hand knuckles and middle finger on the front of the trigger guard. For me, it's a good balance and improves my scores. Plus in action, I'm giving the bad guys the finger. [smile]

If you shoot Revolvers its a bad habit to get into, with a revolver you don't want your fingers near the forcing cone. Just a heads up , you just have to forget once and with a large caliber revolver and it can be pretty serious.

IMO, it's personal - try it....it may feel right, it may not.

Important thing is the holes are in the right spot.
This pretty much sums up my dating philosophy.

ETA: no input to the real topic, other than 'nope, never tried that.'
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom