• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We should be making plans

Even the Amateur Extra test is a little more amped up,
but it's basically the same kind of knowledge as its prerequisites.

It's not like you open the cover on the Extra study guide
and find integral calculus staring you in the face.
Lol, Maybe if you’re an EE. I remember taking a 9 week class for Extra.

Ok, John and I were able to confirm that 75m SSB is a good way for us to communicate. So any hams that have the ability (general or better license and sideband rigs), PM me with your callsign and QTH. I will reply with a list of times and frequencies we will meet on in the event NES goes down or SHTF. This will not be a regular net but a time and place to meet if / when things go bad.

Ok, John and I were able to confirm that 75m SSB is a good way for us to communicate. So any hams that have the ability (general or better license and sideband rigs), PM me with your callsign and QTH. I will reply with a list of times and frequencies we will meet on in the event NES goes down or SHTF. This will not be a regular net but a time and place to meet if / when things go bad.
How about something for all the rest not licensed to General? A) So non licensed others listen in, and B) basic Technician can broadcast?

How about something for all the rest not licensed to General? A) So non licensed others listen in, and B) basic Technician can broadcast?
I don't know what I can do, VHF and UHF are line of sight unless you use a repeater. Repeaters need grid power and can be easily jammed. They just don't work for this type of emergency comms scenario. My suggestion would be to upgrade. 75m is the ideal band for local (within a couple of hundred miles) groundwave communication. If someone jams it, you simply move to a new frequency. This is not mobile stuff, it requires big antennas and a fair amount of TX power. If you want the frequency / time schedule I would be glad to let you have it but as far as participating, you need a license and a rig. This is in its infancy, we don't have a plan yet. John and I discussed various scenarios and right now, this is just a contingency plan in case the usual avenues of communication between like minded people fail.

I don't know what I can do, VHF and UHF are line of sight unless you use a repeater. Repeaters need grid power and can be easily jammed. They just don't work for this type of emergency comms scenario. My suggestion would be to upgrade. 75m is the ideal band for local (within a couple of hundred miles) groundwave communication. If someone jams it, you simply move to a new frequency. This is not mobile stuff, it requires big antennas and a fair amount of TX power. If you want the frequency / time schedule I would be glad to let you have it but as far as participating, you need a license and a rig. This is in its infancy, we don't have a plan yet. John and I discussed various scenarios and right now, this is just a contingency plan in case the usual avenues of communication between like minded people fail.
I’m totally new on this but working on the tech license.

I know this is all in its infancy but is there some way where the techs can communicate locally to a general or extra that can then get word out.
Or more likely if we have a list/map of some local guys on the 75 meter then it would be up to the tech to reach out to them on a higher frequency.

I may not be able to communicate to western MA but if there’s a local guy a couple towns away that is getting the updates then I can check in with him. Does that make sense?
Like little clusters

I’m totally new on this but working on the tech license.

I know this is all in its infancy but is there some way where the techs can communicate locally to a general or extra that can then get word out.
Or more likely if we have a list/map of some local guys on the 75 meter then it would be up to the tech to reach out to them on a higher frequency.

I may not be able to communicate to western MA but if there’s a local guy a couple towns away that is getting the updates then I can check in with him. Does that make sense?
Like little clusters
As the list gets populated, I will ask each person if they would be willing to do something like this. If they are ok with it, I will attempt to put the techs in touch with a nearby ham that has the license. So if you don't have a call, include your location in your PM. If you do have a call, I can get your location from the FCC ULS data.

As the list gets populated, I will ask each person if they would be willing to do something like this. If they are ok with it, I will attempt to put the techs in touch with a nearby ham that has the license. So if you don't have a call, include your location in your PM. If you do have a call, I can get your location from the FCC ULS data.
Sounds good. Thank you.

For the past couple of years I've been using the linked VHF and UHF DMR digital repeaters in the NEDECN (New England Digital Emergency Communications Network) system. Some downsides are that the equipment can be a bit more expensive than regular amateur radio gear, and the learning curve in getting a radio programmed can be a bit steep. The upside is that the DMR network is really getting built out coverage-wise and seems to be gaining users.

Each repeater has about a dozen or so local, state wide, regional or nationwide talkgroups that can be accessed by radio, and each repeater can handle two simultaneous conversations on different talkgroups working off of the same repeater. A guy on Cape Cod can have a conversation with another guy in Maine, say, using the New England talkgroup but anyone that has that group programmed in will also hear the traffic. For local traffic, DMR radios can also communicate radio-to-radio directly without using a repeater for a much greater level of privacy but without the broad range the repeater network offers. It's a bit complex but damn, the system works. And the infrastructure is like a cell tower, so it's not as robust as HF or straight non-linked repeater comms.

Anyone with a compatible radio can listen in, just like analog radio, but it takes some effort so the nosey neighbor factor isn't too bad. A basic off-the-shelf scanner can't decode the traffic but some higher end receivers can listen in.

Do we have any DMR users here?
New England Digital Emergency Communications Network

Last edited:
For the past couple of years I've been using the linked VHF and UHF DMR digital repeaters in the NEDECN (New England Digital Emergency Communications Network) system. Some downsides are that the equipment can be a bit more expensive than regular amateur radio gear, and the learning curve in getting a radio programmed can be a bit steep. The upside is that the DMR network is really getting built out coverage-wise and seems to be gaining users. Coverage between Maine

Each repeater has about a dozen or so local, state wide, regional or nationwide talkgroups that can be accessed by radio, and each repeater can handle two simultaneous conversations on different talkgroups working off of the same repeater. A guy on Cape Cod can have a conversation with another guy in Maine, say, using the New England talkgroup but anyone that has that group programmed in will also hear the traffic. For local traffic, DMR radios can also communicate radio-to-radio directly without using a repeater for a much greater level of privacy but without the broad range the repeater network offers. It's a bit complex but damn, the system works. And the infrastructure is like a cell tower, so it's not as robust as HF or straight non-linked repeater comms.

Anyone with a compatible radio can listen in, just like analog radio, but it takes some effort so the nosey neighbor factor isn't too bad. A basic off-the-shelf scanner can't decode the traffic but some higher end receivers can listen in.

Do we have any DMR users here?
New England Digital Emergency Communications Network
How does the digital stuff hold up communication wise and privacy wise in the event of some grid down/partially down or internet/computer compromised type situation ?

If we are in a SHTF situation, who would care about their license classification?
I don’t think anyone is.
I think it’s more a worry of wether or not your comms will work in a given situation and or if you know how to work them.

If we don’t have repeaters and have very basic UHF and VHF equipment then we are very limited right?

I have some buddies with radios and they feel the same way. If there is lawlessness then who care about a course and license.
I agree but I also feel that getting licensed now and getting experience is more important.

I don’t want to fumble around like a 15 year old kid with his best friends step mom.
I would like some practical experience with the radio before the shit hits the fan.

Lol, Maybe if you’re an EE. I remember taking a 9 week class for Extra.
I got my General a month after my Tech.,
but I was dawdling over my Extra study guide for over four months
(it externally looked like I was "savoring" the material,
but I was really just slow-walking it).
Then I woke up and decided to just Get Er Done.

If you want to listen to the low bands you would be better served by purchasing a ham radio or short wave receiver. You will not be able to listen with a VHF UHF radio

There won't be anyone to ask, lol
I think there’s a signal group. Or was.

Tbh, we should have a down announcement site/page imo. My truck forums have em. Just an FB page or Twitter where the admins announce outages.

Back
Top Bottom