• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We need to help each other

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, about the current struggle with 2A, liberty in the US and other topics. I have come to a few realizations, the biggest is that we need to help each other. I don't mean the 2A crowd, we have a common goal and want the same thing. I mean all of us, all liberty seeking individuals.

I hear a lot on this forum about how screwed up the government is with taxes, spending and general liberty. There are often threads about the government trying to take away 2A rights and people get up in arms. What happens when the government tries to deny homosexuals the same rights as straight folks? People don't care or think it's fine. What about the pro-life vs. pro-choice groups? Any number of polarizing issues we deal with in politics.

Have any of the 2A community reached out to either of these two groups for support or ever shown a bit of interest in their progress for liberty? Maybe on an individual basis but not in a widespread movement. People need to understand that freedom is not just for you, it is for everyone. Nobody has the right to restrain another person from exercising their rights unless they are directly infringing on someone else.

This means, if you don't agree with gay marriage keep your damn mouth shut. Who are you to dictate whether someone else can marry the person they love? Why should the government be involved AT ALL? This premiss holds true for most things, pro-choice, if you're pro-life then teach your children to respect life and never to need/want an abortion. Who are you to tell a woman that was raped that she cannot abort the child born of that rape? You have no right over her body just like she has no right to deny you the right of defense.

I see all too often within our group that we expect people to respect our rights yet we have little or no respect for others. How can we ever expect to reunite this country under the flag of freedom if we can't just leave each other alone? Government should provide for the general protection of the country and some basic level of services. Generally managing imports and exports, defense and treaties/war with other countries. Beyond that people should be left on their own to succeed or fail as they can to the best of their ability. Once one person has infringed on the rights of another it is for a jury of their peers to decide who is in the right.

Unless we can set aside our differences with the groups we disagree with we will never have the strength to peacefully retake this country. Even if we have the strength to retake by force I wouldn't want to live in a world where freedom is based on the perspective of a hardcore "conservative" or a far left "liberal". It should be based on the fact all men and women have equal rights in the eyes of the government, the right to do as they please so long as they do not directly inflict damage upon another party.

Please don't turn this into a debate on abortion or gay right but rather a reflection on the struggle liberty has to survive.

Absolutely I look out for their rights... and as a result I have many friends who probably wouldn't be pro-gun otherwise.

As a libertarian, I hate seeing the .gov involved in marriage as an example... but just because the law is a mess doesn't mean certain folks don't deserve the same protection under it.... my personal opinion of gay marriage aside.

We're going to lose our freedoms if its a pure numbers game of Christian Republicans vs not. There's a libertarian shift in this country, and we need it if we want to revitalize a standard of rights protection in politics.

There are liberty seeking individuals on right and left, they just don't agree on what "Liberty" actually means... And they continue to vote D or R, which only maintains the status quo.
Libertarians are the only ones who get it right at this point :)

There are liberty seeking individuals on right and left, they just don't agree on what "Liberty" actually means... And they continue to vote D or R, which only maintains the status quo.
Libertarians are the only ones who get it right at this point :)

Both D and R are 50% authoritarians, it's just important to let them know you're not, why your not and that you support their unauthoritarian 50% (usually pet issues) and ask that they reciprocate.

Back
Top Bottom