• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We need to close the scooter loophole

I've been lusting after a Motoped. The official specs are 49cc and <30mph, but most of them get "well-tuned" before they ever hit the street. It would also make a sweet SHTF vehicle if you had to quickly get out of the city...

692bd882060034e03da43a168c7d618f.jpg

These things are EVERYWHERE in the Philippines, and they drive them like maniacs. They also cram 3 people at a time on them, often with small children sandwiched in between two adults.

There is more than just engine displacement.

"A moped is defined as having an automatic transmission and cylinders of 50 cc or less with a maximum speed of 30 MPH. You must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver license to operate a moped in Massachusetts"

So, as soon as your vehicle can exceed 30mph, it's no longer classified as a moped and must be registered as a motorcycle.

In reality, most of the 49cc scooters will go over 30.
I have a 2002 Yamaha Zuma with the old two-stoke engine, it do 37 flat out.

Pretty much the same reason that puts the brakes on cool ultralight designs. Can't exceed 62mph or something like that.

The 62 mph (100 kph) limit is due to the maximum safe speed rating of the tires.
I put a set of Michelin Raggaes on mine last Summer, it shows the rating on the sidewall.
There aren't many companies that make these tires, but that's probably the industry standard for that size.

Here in China now.
Electric scooters are extremely popular. But you can bet that if these ever showed signs of getting popular in any major US city they would be banned by the fascists ruling the cities because they represent affordable transportation for people that would otherwise be on public transit.

This^

I can tell you don't own a business...nobody pays in cash anymore!

Not entirely true, the sausage guy outside Fenway Park is still a cash business.

I'm a firm believer in cash myself, my motto is "Cash Has No Enemies, So Let's Be Friends"

Now the main reason I bumped this thread, Mass has pulled the illegal rental scooters off the road.

Those electric scooters like Bird and Lime? They’re illegal in Mass. - The Boston Globe

Guess what--I have a 9.9 hp outboard motor (to avoid the 10 hp ban). Another loophole
There are now 24.9hp diesel tractors to avoid the Tier IV Emissions requirements.

The Kubota L2501 has a 1.65L displacement engine. My 32hp “pre ban” tractor has 1.5L. But the L2501 only develops 24.8hp because it is tested at 2,200rpm. My 3200 develops peak hp at 2,800 rpm....Funny how that happens.

Any motorbike over 50cc's must me registered as a motorcycle. However under 50cc and it needs only a sticker and no special license. So for years these manufacturers have been selling these obviously dangerous 49cc scooters to curtail the law.
They should need to pass an interchangeability test. Both have wheels and a motor so it will fail.

What about scooters that are EXACTLY 50cc?

And can they build a 55cc motor but brand it as 45cc?

You can get a Zuma 125 and put a 50 sticker kit on it. Ultimate DUImobile.
I was riding out of a gas station when flagged down by a BPD Officer. He’d stopped a kid on a Zuma scooter and wanted to know if I could tell the difference.

I did not, nor did I bother informing him he was 200 yards from the biggest scooter dealer in Boston, Scooters Go Green.

That won’t be the case for long. They smell money they are missing out on.

Boston Eyes Electric Scooter Pilot In 2019

Seems like the usual cycle of:
1. Start-up with new concept operates in untested waters
2. Gov shuts down start-up
3. Gov regulates and taxes new concept and lets competitors come in

Electric scooters are no different than the other stupid methods of transportation that you can rent. Just give people the ability to lock them up properly as opposed to dumping them on the sidewalk.

Proposed legislation to ban Military Style Assault Vehicles.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault vehicle that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on February 1, 2019

Definition:

"Military Style Assault Vehicles"

Ford GPW; Willys: MB, M-38, M-38-1, M-170, CJ-2A, CJ-3A, CJ-3B, CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7; Volkswagen Type 62, Type 82; or any copies or duplicates thereof

Any four wheel drive vehicle with two or more of the following features:
• Fold down windshield
• Roll Bar
• Removable Top
• Spare Tire mounted outside the vehicle
• Winch
• External Hood Latches
• HI/LO range transfer case
• More than two forward facing white lights
• Whip antenna
• Removable Doors
• Olive/Green paint

I hope that is /sarcasm, Swatgig.

I'd just like to see some decent, low priced, simple motorcycles offered in the U.S.

Over in Asia, whole families travel on basic models. I don't need a Ninja or 1200CC racing machine, but something that can make it up "airport hill" and ride for two weeks on a tank of gas wouldn't be a bad thing.

Picture something like the old Honda Hawk or Ascot, only coming in at less than $1500 for the package, maybe $2000 for a turbo model.

I hope that is /sarcasm, Swatgig.
I thought the green paint was a giveaway
something that can make it up "airport hill" and ride for two weeks on a tank of gas wouldn't be a bad thing.
Getting anything up the Mill Street side of airport hill may be tough.

Back in the summer of 79, I had a moped. All my friends were meeting up on the "New" airport road (Goddard Drive) where someone was getting beer for us. Because my moped couldn't get up the hill too fast, I got there AFTER the cops showed up. Everyone was outside the cars, in "the position" being searched. I just cruised by.

Back
Top Bottom