• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We need to close the scooter loophole

I take this as a challenge to develop a high output 49cc motor that will put out the equivalent power of a 125cc dirtbike motor. I will accomplish this by purchasing a boat engine compartment blower fan off ebay because they add 15-20% more horsepower AT THE WHEEL where it counts. After this budget supercharging project is complete, I will increase the size of the exhaust by purchasing some 2" pipe from auto zone so I can fabricate I high-flow exhaust that produces a smooth, mellow, throaty sound. Now that my airflow characteristics are improved, I will add a double size high capacity coil and solid state ignition control unit. To keep the temperature under the seat down, I will mount a small water tank with tubes that will mist a fine spray of H2O across the cooling fins, this evaporative effect will keep the incoming charge air cool, simulating the features of a turbo intercooler, at the same time cooling the engine to prevent detonation.
Motorbike performace in a scooter package.

LOL! You must be the guy that put $10k in customizations on a $1,500 Honda Civic and thinks it's worth more than $1,510.

Seriously, you have nothing to complain about. Here in SC you can drive a scooter on the road without a license, so everyone whose license has been suspended for DUI buys one on the way home from the courthouse.

They're everywhere. They're like rats. Top speed is 25-30 mph but they're taking the whole lane on a 55 mph highway and when the road is only two lanes and they won't let you pass, traffic can back up for a mile!

There should be an open season.

LOL! You must be the guy that put $10k in customizations on a $1,500 Honda Civic and thinks it's worth more than $1,510.

Seriously, you have nothing to complain about. Here in SC you can drive a scooter on the road without a license, so everyone whose license has been suspended for DUI buys one on the way home from the courthouse.

They're everywhere. They're like rats. Top speed is 25-30 mph but they're taking the whole lane on a 55 mph highway and when the road is only two lanes and they won't let you pass, traffic can back up for a mile!

There should be an open season.

Always found it humorous that people get duped by the boat blower supercharging scam. Been doing it since at least the early 90's. Still going strong. Now they even come in fancy packaging. That shit can't supercharge a hamster wheel. http://r.ebay.com/rIEGbr
http://r.ebay.com/fTHBxQ

Last edited:
It's $10,000.00 or above.

Obviously you don't do many transactions at that level. [smile]
But if you make a lot of cash deposits just under $10k, as many legal cash businesses do, the IRS will seize all of the accounts and wait several years before letting you prove the cash was all legal. They do this many times a year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sub 50cc scooters are called drunk mobiles in NC. don't need a driver license to operate.
But this year they now have to be registered and insured. And that will make them too expensive for drunks to operate. Good.
I travel to China on business for a month at a time. Here in China now.
Electric scooters are extremely popular. But you can bet that if these ever showed signs of getting popular in any major US city they would be banned by the fascists ruling the cities because they represent affordable transportation for people that would otherwise be on public transit.

Scooters are bound to get you into trouble.

698875293_d188263358_o.jpg

But if you make a lot of cash deposits just under $10k, as many legal cash businesses do, the IRS will seize all of the accounts and wait several years before letting you prove the cash was all legal. They do this many times a year.

I can tell you don't own a business...nobody pays in cash anymore!

Everything is supposed to be illegal in Massachusetts. Whatever isn't already illegal should be made illegal. Whatever is already illegal should have the penalties on it raised into the stratosphere and beyond. That's how we roll here in the looniest of all moonbat nanny states. Get with the program folks or get left behind. [thinking]

I thought there was a 35MPH max rule in MA. Above that required MA registration, below was ok. I see 45MPH non registered scooters all the time. Am I wrong or are the PD just enforcing rolling stop signs and right turn on red laws? Friggin 45MPH unregistered scooters in the passing lane of a 2 lane 45MPH zone piss me off enough to thing about road rage.

I've been lusting after a Motoped. The official specs are 49cc and <30mph, but most of them get "well-tuned" before they ever hit the street. It would also make a sweet SHTF vehicle if you had to quickly get out of the city...

692bd882060034e03da43a168c7d618f.jpg

Now that's a scooter I would ride!!!

Any motorbike over 50cc's must me registered as a motorcycle. However under 50cc and it needs only a sticker and no special license. So for years these manufacturers have been selling these obviously dangerous 49cc scooters to curtail the law.
They should need to pass an interchangeability test. Both have wheels and a motor so it will fail.
Aprilia sells a fuel injected model that's 49cc. And 70 and 80cc hop up kits are readily available. Some of them will do 50 (though that violates the law).

There have been several cases recently where the IRS seized the accounts of businesses. IJ has handled several of them.
Amounts in excess of $100k taken from the businesses.

Structural deposit fraud is something that every bank employee gets trained on. Whether you think anyone is watching or not, trust me, they are.
We had to take classes once or twice a year on it.

Holy Crap... why am I just now finding out about the motoped... that thing is sweet.

Structural deposit fraud is something that every bank employee gets trained on. Whether you think anyone is watching or not, trust me, they are.
We had to take classes once or twice a year on it.
The problem is that businesses that still take in cash have insurance policies that don't cover losses over $10k so they have to make deposits less than $10k.

Some democrats want to go further toward banning cash by first banning all bills lather than $10. Typical democrat. Punish the law abiding in the name of targeting criminals.
There shouldn't be any limits on cash transactions. It doesn't matter that they claim the goal is targeting criminal activity. The fact that these laws do more harm to the law abiding is the larger problem.
Criminals will always find a way to get around laws.

Some democrats want to go further toward banning cash by first banning all bills lather than $10. Typical democrat. Punish the law abiding in the name of targeting criminals.

That would make it much tougher for crocked politicians like Diane Wilkerson to stuff those $1300 cash bribes inside her bra.

Does anyone know if you need a title for a 49cc scooter in NH or will a Bill Of Sale suffice ???

I'm tempted to buy one cheap at a police auction in Mass, but I don't want to have to pay Mass the $75 title fee and then pay it again in NH.

I did this once when I bought a car at the auction, but there was no other way around it for a car or a truck. NH wanted a title because the Bill Of Sale from the PD in Mass wasn't good enough for them.

I emailed the NH DMV and got my answer:

Here's what I wrote:

Subject: Title & Registration Questions

Your web site doesn't give me the answers I'm looking for.

Does a 49cc scooter need a title ?

If not, will an official Bill of Sale from a police auction in Massachusetts be sufficient to prove legal ownership and obtain a registration for the scooter in NH ?

Thank You

Here's the reply:

Good Morning,

It is not required to be titled.
If it meets the qualifications for a moped then it will need the bill of sale and proof of residency to obtain the registration.

Sincerely,

Diane Wilson
DMV Contact Center
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305

I emailed the question to them on Saturday night, the reply came at 10:07 this morning.
NH is on the ball and they don't jerk you around waiting for an answer like Mass does.

So now that I know a scooter or moped does NOT need a title in NH, I'm going to try and get one cheap at the next police auction.
These usually go for about $100-150, but it wouldn't be worth it to me if I had to pay Mass $75 for a title before it could be registered in NH.

They replied that "if it meets the qualifications for moped"

That usually means it needs pedals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They replied that "if it meets the qualifications for moped"

That usually means it needs pedals

Not in NH.
I asked the question and here is the reply:

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 259
WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED

Section 259:57

259:57 Moped. – "Moped'' shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

Source. RSA 259:1, XIII-a. 1976, 4:4. 1977, 272:1. 1981, 146:1. 1983, 147:1. 2011, 25:1, eff. April 28, 2011.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/259/259-57.htm

No mention of pedals so a 49cc scooter is defined as a moped in NH.

I travel to Europe a fair amount for work. They're dumbfounded over there when I tell them that guys who drive scooters in the US are largely viewed as pussies.

Back
Top Bottom