• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We need to close the scooter loophole

Marty McFly

NES Member
Any motorbike over 50cc's must me registered as a motorcycle. However under 50cc and it needs only a sticker and no special license. So for years these manufacturers have been selling these obviously dangerous 49cc scooters to curtail the law.
They should need to pass an interchangeability test. Both have wheels and a motor so it will fail.

Here's what pisses me off about scooters. In boston, you can park them on the side walk like a bicycle. Great. Chain it to a lamp post. But every now and then some asshat with a scooter decides to take up one of the exceptionally rare motorcycle spaces with their faggy vespa. Dafuq, dude?

Here's what pisses me off about scooters. In boston, you can park them on the side walk like a bicycle. Great. Chain it to a lamp post.

Maybe in Boston, but not in Brookline. If it's parked on a sidewalk in Brookline and chained to town property, the cops call the DPW to come down with an angle grinder to cut the lock off, then they have it towed way.

Here's what pisses me off about scooters. In boston, you can park them on the side walk like a bicycle. Great. Chain it to a lamp post. But every now and then some asshat with a scooter decides to take up one of the exceptionally rare motorcycle spaces with their faggy vespa. Dafuq, dude?

Perhaps they are confused that they operate like a "bicycle" than a motorycle? I blame this on MA ambiguous laws..
Of course, if the scooter is over 50cc they are well within their rights to park in the motorcycle spot.

I personally find scooters (true scooters under 51cc) a blast and convenient in congested cities. You can park anywhere, drive in the bike lane as long as you keep it under 20mph (I remember looking this up recently), and if traffic REALLY sucks and the coast is clear I see no reason you can't take it on the sidewalk for a short distance..[smile] I don't personally have one but wouldn't hesitate if I lived in a city..

Does anyone know if you need a title for a 49cc scooter in NH or will a Bill Of Sale suffice ???

I'm tempted to buy one cheap at a police auction in Mass, but I don't want to have to pay Mass the $75 title fee and then pay it again in NH.

I did this once when I bought a car at the auction, but there was no other way around it for a car or a truck. NH wanted a title because the Bill Of Sale from the PD in Mass wasn't good enough for them.

Last edited:

They aren't even Vespa's, they are those junky knockoff brands coming from 3rd world countries!

Does anyone know if you need a title for a 49cc scooter in NH or will a Bill Of Sale suffice ???

I'm tempted to buy one cheap at a police auction in Mass, but I don't want to have to pay Mass the $75 title fee and then pay it again in NH.

I did this once when I bought a car at the auction, but there was no other way around it for a car or a truck. NH wanted a title because the Bill Of Sale from the PD in Mass wasn't good enough for them.

You go with undocumented "ghost" scooter

It's $10,000.00 or above.

Obviously you don't do many transactions at that level. [smile]

it's cute that you think that. In reality, software looks for patterns of transactions designed to break up a 10K transaction in to many smaller ones. Thanks to the Bank Secrecy Act and PATRIOT ACT, rest assured the government is looking at pretty much every transaction you do.

it's cute that you think that. In reality, software looks for patterns of transactions designed to break up a 10K transaction in to many smaller ones. Thanks to the Bank Secrecy Act and PATRIOT ACT, rest assured the government is looking at pretty much every transaction you do.

I get around it by making weekly $100 withdrawals. After only two years I have $10k and nobody's the wiser. Muwahahahahahaaaaaa.

They aren't even Vespa's, they are those junky knockoff brands coming from 3rd world countries!

Brand doesn't matter, 50cc and over, they have to be treated the same as a motorcycle... aka no sidewalks. Mass laws (cough RMV cough) is pretty clear about that one.

I take this as a challenge to develop a high output 49cc motor that will put out the equivalent power of a 125cc dirtbike motor. I will accomplish this by purchasing a boat engine compartment blower fan off ebay because they add 15-20% more horsepower AT THE WHEEL where it counts. After this budget supercharging project is complete, I will increase the size of the exhaust by purchasing some 2" pipe from auto zone so I can fabricate I high-flow exhaust that produces a smooth, mellow, throaty sound. Now that my airflow characteristics are improved, I will add a double size high capacity coil and solid state ignition control unit. To keep the temperature under the seat down, I will mount a small water tank with tubes that will mist a fine spray of H2O across the cooling fins, this evaporative effect will keep the incoming charge air cool, simulating the features of a turbo intercooler, at the same time cooling the engine to prevent detonation.
Motorbike performace in a scooter package.

Brand doesn't matter, 50cc and over, they have to be treated the same as a motorcycle... aka no sidewalks. Mass laws (cough RMV cough) is pretty clear about that one.

Yeah I see how you did that, take my comment out of context and make it appear as though I was referencing something else when I was in fact replying to someone that made the "faggy vespa" comment.

BTW...I think if it has an engine and uses the roads I pay taxes on then they should have to comply to same rules I do with my motorcycles.

Last edited:
So what happens when you double wielding ... I mean double assing two Vespas at the same time?

There was a time in UK when Mods and Rockers would battle it out, shitty British bikes vs. shitty scooters. No wander UK lost its guns and turned all faggy [laugh]

I take this as a challenge to develop a high output 49cc motor that will put out the equivalent power of a 125cc dirtbike motor. I will accomplish this by purchasing a boat engine compartment blower fan off ebay because they add 15-20% more horsepower AT THE WHEEL where it counts. After this budget supercharging project is complete, I will increase the size of the exhaust by purchasing some 2" pipe from auto zone so I can fabricate I high-flow exhaust that produces a smooth, mellow, throaty sound. Now that my airflow characteristics are improved, I will add a double size high capacity coil and solid state ignition control unit. To keep the temperature under the seat down, I will mount a small water tank with tubes that will mist a fine spray of H2O across the cooling fins, this evaporative effect will keep the incoming charge air cool, simulating the features of a turbo intercooler, at the same time cooling the engine to prevent detonation.

I actually turboed a moped once, I couldn't buy jets large enough so I had to machine my own. At WOT is screamed like a banshee until it it launched a piston through the head.

There is more than just engine displacement.

"A moped is defined as having an automatic transmission and cylinders of 50 cc or less with a maximum speed of 30 MPH. You must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver license to operate a moped in Massachusetts"

So, as soon as your vehicle can exceed 30mph, it's no longer classified as a moped and must be registered as a motorcycle.

Pretty much the same reason that puts the brakes on cool ultralight designs. Can't exceed 62mph or something like that.

I've been lusting after a Motoped. The official specs are 49cc and <30mph, but most of them get "well-tuned" before they ever hit the street. It would also make a sweet SHTF vehicle if you had to quickly get out of the city...

692bd882060034e03da43a168c7d618f.jpg

OK. If you say so.
I do transactions all the time. Not once has anyone batted an eye.

- - - Updated - - -

This begs the question:

What's the difference between a moped and a fat chick?

A guy I know grew up in Holland in the 1980s where they have(had?) the same kind of scooter laws. The scooters were a big thing with the kids to the point they would hotrod them, including boring and stroking them. The police also took it seriously and would set up roadside check stations where they could actually measure the displacement [rofl]
What a great use of police time [laugh]

one word "nitromethane"

Back
Top Bottom