We need a new Freezer: Where to find a good size (for family) freezer??

You can try Douglas appliance in Danvers. Not sure how dead yours is. They may be able to repair it. Otherwise they can give you an honest answer about lead times.

I picked up a used GE upright freezer last week.
Took about 3 days to find it.
I picked it up within 3 hours of the listing posting.

The run on freezers began two months ago.
you could always get a spare fridge-like the traditional fridge/freezer combos people have in their kitchen. If you can’t find a chest freezer, the side by side fridge/freezers have less cu of freezer space, but not by much. Could work in a pinch.

You can try Douglas appliance in Danvers. Not sure how dead yours is. They may be able to repair it. Otherwise they can give you an honest answer about lead times.
a repair is not a bad idea, actually. normally i would say to shit can it, but now is not "normal times". Might be something simple.

lowes-taking-the-guess-work-out-of-storing-bodies-the-35924513.png

If you go the commercial upright freezer route be aware your electrical operating costs will be be significantly higher than say a static coil domestic chest type freezer.

I’m on the same quest. No one has them. There’s a national 6-8 week backlog. Have one on order with Home Depot for delivery in a couple of weeks but that’s showing as no longer available and I’m not holding my breathe...

If you're looking for used commercial and don't mind traveling, there's this place in Waterbury:
I've never bought an appliance from them, but that's the bulk of their warehouse. (I've mostly bought smalls.) Waterbury's RD is also right around the corner. (Costco likewise.)

I think mine is 9 cu ft and as soon as this is over and things go back to normal, I am getting a second freezer.

found one on homedepot.com avalible for may 20 delivery. (Frigidaire 14.8 model.) so keep looking this is the 2nd time I saw one avalible and This time I pulled the trigger.
I bought this model and Consumer guide has it closer to 15.5 cu. I ordered it from Home Depot last year went from two weeks to over two months to get it. It's over 80% full and keeps things cold at -20. The caster are a plus.

yeah, i am thinking, in hindsight, that a Traulsen might be out of his price range:

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]
View attachment 354888

^Is that the Nancy Pelosi Signature Edition ????

The news is finally reporting what we've known for a few months already:

All this hoarding going on today, will lead to more stories like this in the future:

Which in turn will be followed by more people making TV shows like this:

I mentioned here before that we fairly recently upgraded our chest freezer in the garage to a full standing model. This was just before COVID19, so it was the usual week to get it from the warehouse.

We didn't sell the chest freezer, and as we looked at the current state of affairs, we decided to keep it. It's currently sitting in the front entrance way, just behind the door, because there's nowhere else to put it right now. My garage is seriously full.

Had a conversation with my wife yesterday. We're keeping the chest freezer. I have to find somewhere else to put it, but it's really nice having an extra freezer the way things are today.

I mentioned here before that we fairly recently upgraded our chest freezer in the garage to a full standing model. This was just before COVID19, so it was the usual week to get it from the warehouse.

We didn't sell the chest freezer, and as we looked at the current state of affairs, we decided to keep it. It's currently sitting in the front entrance way, just behind the door, because there's nowhere else to put it right now. My garage is seriously full.

Had a conversation with my wife yesterday. We're keeping the chest freezer. I have to find somewhere else to put it, but it's really nice having an extra freezer the way things are today.
Yep, especially knowing they will lock us the f*** down again in the fall if / when this shit flares up again.

I need to make a call to a friend at an appliance store and get myself on the waiting list for a 5-7cf chest.

Couldn't find a freezer, and the bride wanted a new fridge. We have a small refrigerator space in the kitchen, and were lucky to find a new unit the right color and size to fit. Kept the old one and moved it out to the garage...so that's our freezer... :rolleyes:

Good luck. I ordered one from Home Dump the end of February. Gave me a delivery date in April. Then updated it to a June 23rd date. Now it says ‘unavailable’. I’m ordering a commercial freezer because it’s all I can find.
Got my Kelvinator Commercial Freezer last week. A little over six week wait. Checked my order with Home Dump and they moved delivery date to July 23rd. Called them and they are clueless when it will arrive if ever. Meanwhile they've had almost $600 of mine for three months. Called and cancelled order.

Got my Kelvinator Commercial Freezer last week. A little over six week wait. Checked my order with Home Dump and they moved delivery date to July 23rd. Called them and they are clueless when it will arrive if ever. Meanwhile they've had almost $600 of mine for three months. Called and cancelled order.
HD, Lowe's they don't care, it's take it or leave it.

I picked up a 5cf chest freezer at Best Buy about a month ago.
Ordered on Tuesday and picked up on Saturday. I wish I had gotten a bigger one for organizing food instead of stacking.

About a month ago, I called Lowe's to see if they could special order me a chest freezer. The guy on the phone said, "actually we have one in stock right now."

!!!!

I asked, "can you please put my name on it? I'll be there in 10 minutes."
"No, I can't do that. I'm with a customer."
"Really? I'll be right there. You can't just slap my name on it for a few minutes?"
"It's in the back on a shelf. I'm sure if you get here within 30 minutes you'll be fine."
"ok, fine. What's your name so I know who to ask for?"
"I won't be here because my shift ends but xxx will be."

I raced there. What do I find? Someone waiting for it to be brought out from the back by the new guy. I guaran-f***in-tee the couple he was with snatched it out from under me when listening to the conversation. I was livid.

Anywho, the guy who had just started was much more helpful than dickless before him. When I explained what happened, he replied, "if it was me, I would've held it for you." He quietly asked me to wait til he was done with the other jerks. (Those may be my words). He then told me he could order me one that was a bit more expensive but better in every way: upright, almost 3 times the capacity, and frostless. It came in within a week.

This is the one:

Very happy with it so far.
Would be worth stopping by or calling the appliance dept to see if it's still an option.

IMG_3792.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom