• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We have reviews for shops, but how about reviews for training?

Agnotology

NES Member
Last night I had my "firearms basic safety" training as required by my PD for my LTC, and I admit it was a good refresher course, but more importantly, I got some one on one time with a great, knowledgeable person who's company I enjoyed after he invited me into his home. I won't name him yet until I get his permission, but I really wish we had a dedicated space for recognition out to a guy who sat me in front of 10+ really cool and varied firearms in and didn't mind me handling them above and beyond the scope of the education I was receiving from him.

I think a made a friend last night, and look forward to future interactions. Finding a car guy and a gun guy in the same person is great.

I had been to that section before, but I never scrolled down past the threads at the top as I did not realize there was a second section below the page indexing. Thanks!
And there is a huge problem that's been the same for years. We (instructors) pay to post in that forum and damn near nobody ever goes there.

The concept of a trainer review thread is a good one, but there are issues with it that are less than visible.

There is an old story "you don't know what you don't know", so the new person taking a class to get a LTC for the first time has no idea if he/she is being taught correct info or not nor what is supposed to be taught in the class. [Actually even instructor candidates taking an NRA instructor course have no idea what they are supposed to be taught before they attend the class.]

Also many just want the certificate so the shorter the class they feel is a better class than a long one that really tries to teach the students the material. So the highest ratings may go to a diploma mill that just cranks students out every 3-4 hrs and perhaps lets them shoot 10 rds of .22LR. Some folks teach just to make money whereas others teach to try to help students learn and improve skills.

Now, in spite of what I state above, I still think it is a good idea to have a thread on instructor reviews. Just don't expect many to read it, just like our postings in the Training forum. :(

And there is a huge problem that's been the same for years. We (instructors) pay to post in that forum and damn near nobody ever goes there.

The concept of a trainer review thread is a good one, but there are issues with it that are less than visible.

There is an old story "you don't know what you don't know", so the new person taking a class to get a LTC for the first time has no idea if he/she is being taught correct info or not nor what is supposed to be taught in the class. [Actually even instructor candidates taking an NRA instructor course have no idea what they are supposed to be taught before they attend the class.]

Also many just want the certificate so the shorter the class they feel is a better class than a long one that really tries to teach the students the material. So the highest ratings may go to a diploma mill that just cranks students out every 3-4 hrs and perhaps lets them shoot 10 rds of .22LR. Some folks teach just to make money whereas others teach to try to help students learn and improve skills.

Now, in spite of what I state above, I still think it is a good idea to have a thread on instructor reviews. Just don't expect many to read it, just like our postings in the Training forum. :(

I'd like to add, what makes a 'good' class for one person may not work for another. I'm an accredited instructor, but I may not work for 'you'. You may not like my diction, you may not like my approach. That said, someone else may get a lot out of me.

I'd bet the threads would become he said/she said about the class.

I would like to see honest feedback on the classes I teach.

I don’t really trust the “how did we do?” form at the end of the class, they’re not in a position to judge until they’re in where gun world for a while.

I would like to see honest feedback on the classes I teach.

I don’t really trust the “how did we do?” form at the end of the class, they’re not in a position to judge until they’re in where gun world for a while.
I agree with you. I've had a few students in my Mass Gun Law Seminar write reviews here on NES, but I'm sure that hardly anyone ever read them as they posted them in the Training forum (proper place but basically nobody looks there).

That is genuinely disappointing. If you do something well, you should get the recognition that comes with it. Although..... my 20 years of seeing what the internet does with anonymity also tells me people will attempt a review bomb, and for an instructor, it'd be hard to counter. Maybe not for the people who know you, but the people who don't who are weighing negative and positive and contemplating paying for your services.

Uh, if advertising yourself as an instructor is a form of monetization for this forum, should I delete this thread? I feel like what I am doing here is the same thing as if I asked how much "x gun" is worth. I don't know if JDL adverts anything and I don't want to run afoul of forum rules by trying to side step, especially as someone who hasn't become an NES member myself.

Back
Top Bottom