• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"We can't finger print you if you don't live in our town"

So I've been trying to get my pistol permit and the last hang up is getting finger prints. The town I live in only offers finger printing from 10-2 on Wednesday. Being a man with a job that is more than 30 minutes from home, that's just not possible.

So I think that I'm doing the next best thing by going to a PD in the town that I work in during my lunch break. At said PD I am told "We can not finger print you unless you are from this town". So I hang my head and walk out.

So that evening on my way to see my parents I stop at the PD in their town, only to be told the same thing "We can not finger print you unless you are from this town". He didn't buy the argument that I WAS from the town but had moved. "Only current residents".

So I call a state trooper barracks and I'm told they do it any day at 7 am or 3 pm, and that another local barracks does it anytime any day. Naturally I go to the second barracks Saturday morning to get printed only to be told "We can not finger print you unless you are from this jurisdiction" AND "You must get printed in the town that you are applying for the permit from". At this point I'm a little fired up and ready for an argument. I tell the officer that the application specifically says that I do not need to use my town's finger printing service. His response "Well every towns application is a little different". To which I felt the need to inform him that it is a STATE issued application signed into law by the nice folks in the Statehouse. It was kind of pointless because the guy had already made up his mind that I wasn't getting printed. So again I left empty handed.

Long story short: has anyone else had this problem or am I the only one who has a job and wants a pistol permit?!?!?

What exactly does the application say with regard to who needs to do the fingerprinting? I know people that just did it themselves and didn't have any problems.

I think it's just another tactic mandated by various police depts. to just make it more difficult for the law abiding citizen, to renew his or her LTC. And if the State Police are using the same tactic, more than likely this was perpetrated by the STATE....

So I've been trying to get my pistol permit and the last hang up is getting finger prints. The town I live in only offers finger printing from 10-2 on Wednesday. Being a man with a job that is more than 30 minutes from home, that's just not possible.

Name the town

Have you explained to them that you can't get there at that time AND ASKED for them to accommodate you at a different time?

icyclefar - I would prefer not to name the towns or state police barracks that I have visited so far and no I have not expressly requested that my town accommodate me outside of their listed hours, but I will do that today and let you know that goes.

Furthermore the state cop at the barracks stated "it is policy not to finger print anyone from outside of the jurisdiction..." and "I'm sorry, I'm a pro-2a guy, I wish I could help you".

Looks like nothing is going to happen today:
Our Records Division is open/ Hours of Operation:

Monday: 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Tuesday-Wednesday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM-12:00PM

The only thing I can think of is many of the departments are now using electronic prints. Someone should just do it, not a big deal and takes 5 min.

I have a friend at one of the area departments. I asked him about electronic prints one day.

His department made application to get the equipment, the machine cost a fortune. A year later, they are approved and get the equipment. Now they needed people within the department to be trained and certified to use it. Another year goes by, three people got trained but two have since left the department. The one guy remaining has been trying to use the new machine but can't seem to make it work, so 2-1/2 years later they're still doing your prints with ink. [rofl]

I had to call numerous times until a specific detective was in the house. Hard to believe only one guy was trained to take prints.

Last edited:
I think it's just another tactic mandated by various police depts. to just make it more difficult for the law abiding citizen, to renew his or her LTC. And if the State Police are using the same tactic, more than likely this was perpetrated by the STATE....

Just put put your hands on the glass partition at the front desk and they can lift them from there at their own convenience.

It's just like when all the PD's started telling citizens there were no more paper Fa10's. They either ran out or couldnt get any more. I went to next town over from mine and was r

Oops, and was told because i wasnt from that town i couldnt get a paper fa10. I dont believe all this B.S. is originating on city or town level,but is flowing downstream from the state level. Just a way to make it harder forthe law abiding citizen........

Are you a GOAL member? I'll do it.

Why the GOAL stipulation? That's just as bad as the excuses the PDs gave him and the stipulations some PDs put on people to have a membership in a rod&gun club to get an LTC.

Why the GOAL stipulation? That's just as bad as the excuses the PDs gave him and the stipulations some PDs put on people to have a membership in a rod&gun club to get an LTC.

NOT speaking for GOAL, but:

- Why should GOAL provide services for non members? I'm not a AAA member so I can't just walk into a AAA office and get the various services they offer their members who pay $$/year for that privilege.

However, a word of warning:

- Some applications require that the prints be done by a LE agency and ask for those details on the card (I know that FL does), so getting some random person/org to do your prints will probably result in a rejection. So check the application instructions on the card and that come with your packet before deciding where to get your prints done.

I would call the chief in your town and kindly explain you work and you have trouble leaving. they finger print people 24hrs a day at stations if he doesn't make an exception call your city councilor he'll make it happen.

Correct if I am wrong but wouldn't the "jurisdiction" of the State Police be the entire state?

icyclefar - I would prefer not to name the towns or state police barracks that I have visited so far and no I have not expressly requested that my town accommodate me outside of their listed hours, but I will do that today and let you know that goes.

Furthermore the state cop at the barracks stated "it is policy not to finger print anyone from outside of the jurisdiction..." and "I'm sorry, I'm a pro-2a guy, I wish I could help you".

NOT speaking for GOAL, but:

- Why should GOAL provide services for non members? I'm not a AAA member so I can't just walk into a AAA office and get the various services they offer their members who pay $$/year for that privilege.

However, a word of warning:

- Some applications require that the prints be done by a LE agency and ask for those details on the card (I know that FL does), so getting some random person/org to do your prints will probably result in a rejection. So check the application instructions on the card and that come with your packet before deciding where to get your prints done.

Yes, God forbid they make an occasional exception for a gun owner and potential member using some of the donations they receive. How many other charities has GOAL donated to with no expectation of any returns?

If it's just all about the money, then GOAL is as much of a sham as the rest of the bullshit system in place in Massachusetts.

Yes, God forbid they make an occasional exception for a gun owner and potential member using some of the donations they receive. How many other charities has GOAL donated to with no expectation of any returns?

If it's just all about the money, then GOAL is as much of a sham as the rest of the bullshit system in place in Massachusetts.

Since this is in the CT forum (Not MA forum) and it appears that the OP is in CT, why would you think that he'd be a "potential GOAL member" and why would he drive to Northboro, MA during working hours to get printed?

I am no longer a cheerleader for GOAL, but am just looking at this realistically. I never knew that GOAL did prints and have no idea if Jon holds LE status to give legitimacy to prints done for places like FL. So to me it was a generous offer, but limiting it to GOAL members is quite reasonable . . . it's called MEMBER services.

To me it's simple...I will always prioritize GOAL members over non-members as it is the member that I know is getting the info to help restore our rights.

I know personally that GOAL is a major contributor in both staff time and equipment donations to the Mass Junior Conservation Camp Inc. Does that count? It is a legally registered charity.

First, thank you for all the responses.

To someone's point yes the State police have jurisdiction in the entire state. A point that I brought up to the officer who said it, which brought us down a rabbit hole about funding..... I'll spare you the details since.

Thanks for the offer regarding GOAL fingerprinting but as someone else pointed out, this thread is in the CT Laws forum and I am in CT too. So it will take more of my vacation/sick time to drive to Northboro, MA.

Yesterday got away from me, but I am planning on calling the PD today to request an appointment to get fingerprinted. I will let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom