• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"We can't explain it," Menino says of holiday violence

doobie

Banned
"We can't explain it," Menino says of holiday violence.

I'm shocked they didn't blame Heller vs DC!

BOSTON -- It was a violent Fourth of July evening around Boston, as six people were shot, and two of them were killed, police said.

A 17-year-old boy was shot in the head and killed at a cookout on Edwardson Street in Hyde Park at about 8 p.m., police said.

In a separate shooting in Hyde Park, four people were shot on West Street, near Hyde Park Avenue, and suffered nonlife-threatening injuries, police said.

And early Saturday morning, a 21-year-old man, who was walking with friends, was killed in a shooting on Dabney Street in Roxbury, police said. The killing was Boston's 33rd of the year, one more than at this time last year.

“We can’t explain it. We never know what’s going to happen, but last night was one of those nights we all regret,” said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

“We’re out there doing the best we can, and we’ve got some real leads on a couple of the cases,” he said.

Police have not announced arrests in any of the shootings.

“This stuff has got to stop, it has got to stop. I’m tired of it. Every time you turn around another one of our children is being hurt,” said a resident who wanted to remain anonymous.

Anyone with information about the shootings is urged to call 617-343-4470. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call 1-800-494-TIPS, or text the word “TIP” to 27463.

I am surprised myself he isn't blaming the lawful gun owners and their fully automatic revolvers. [sad]

When they catch those people that did the shooting they should take thier gun licence away.

Here are 3 possible reasons:

1. It's summer - longer days

2. It's summer - it's HOT!

3. More welfare spawn and illegal aliens squabbling over turf. The irresponsible and criminal tend to produce more of same.

Guess their parents haven't been visited by the PD for those "voluntary" gun checks yet!

Last edited:
I think that when they catch those responsible, they should take away their unlicensed guns and give them all probation for 5 years, AGAIN. That'll teach them not to go around shooting each other! [puke]

MA justice confounds me. Judges should be held accountable for releasing the criminals by giving them miniscule sentences.

I think that when they catch those responsible, they should take away their unlicensed guns and give them all probation for 5 years, AGAIN. That'll teach them not to go around shooting each other!

And hold a neighborhood rally and bake sale to "share the peace." Word out!

And hold a neighborhood rally and bake sale to "share the peace." Word out!
These gangster guys share "the piece" already. [wink]
Both of these Hyde Park shootings are less than a mile from my home. When I first moved here, the neighborhood was virtually crime free. Within the past 5 years, there's been numerous shootings and murders. The thugs are moving out from Murderpan and into Hyde Park. The mothers are trying to move the offspring out of the "bad areas" but unfortunately, the boys and girls are bringing their problems with them. They say, gang violence could be curtailed with early intervention. If that fails, the bad guys should spend a full sentence behind bars. There is little to no deterrent when the punishment does not fit the crime. [shocked]
Best Regards.

MA justice confounds me. Judges should be held accountable for releasing the criminals by giving them miniscule sentences.

considering we have 2,500,000 people in prison in america, i think theres a issue with space for all these people to go. we have the highest prison population in the world, and the highest percent for the population.

Menino is only pissed because he was awoken* six times last night, and cannot spin the larger picture of alcohol, heat, late nights and crowds on the shooting enthusiasts ...which has been standard operating procedure for years now.

*“When I get the phone call in the middle of the night with news of another senseless tragedy,” Menino said, “I ask myself – and we all should ask – ‘Where did the gun come from?' ''

hmm...take an overtime shift to prevent violence in roxbury or take a detail sitting under the longfellow watching t workers replace railroad ties... which would you pick.

hmm...take an overtime shift to prevent violence in roxbury or take a detail sitting under the longfellow watching t workers replace railroad ties... which would you pick.

How many OT shifts went uncovered in those areas this weekend?

“Illegal guns know no borders,” Menino said, according to prepared remarks provided by his staff. “This only reinforces the need for common sense federal action to help close these gaps and protect our police, our residents and our community.”

he said it himself. they know no boarders. the entire country could ban guns and there would still be illegal guns that "know no boarders". wether the guns come from states with "weak gun laws" or out of country

criminals will always have guns. duh.

That's a good question that will probably not get answered. I suspect that almost all available resources were dispatched to the Esplanade and downtown areas. The shooting of four people at the Tedeski's mini-mart in Hyde Park took place within eyesight of E-18. The victims had to drive past the police Station to get to West Street. Why would they do that? I suspect that they may have had some illegal item in their possession at the time of the incident. I have no proof but my instinct tells me there's more to the story than reported. The 17 year old shot at his family cook out was known to be a gang member. He was found shot in front of his house. There were so many fireworks going off in Hyde Park that the fatal shot blended right in and no one investigated further. The mayor lives in the Readville section of Hyde Dark. He has a 24 hour police guard out in front of his house. That police resource is never diverted.
Best Regards.

Having attended a number of the July 4th Esplanade concerts (until an ugly incident a few years ago), I can tell you that the Esplanade is strictly MSP and Park Ranger (unarmed) territory. No BPD would be welcomed there to work details.

BPD is busy after the event dealing with whatever spills out on the city streets, but Storrow Drive and alongside the river is off-limits to the BPD. [Turf issues]

Perhaps we should start a pool on how long before LTC's and FID's start popping up in Boston with restrictions listing "void during holiday weekends"!

[rolleyes]Menino's a damned liar.......of course he can explain it, its all those legal licensed gun owners that are the problem, just like he's been saying for years![rolleyes][rolleyes]

Having attended a number of the July 4th Esplanade concerts (until an ugly incident a few years ago), I can tell you that the Esplanade is strictly MSP and Park Ranger (unarmed) territory. No BPD would be welcomed there to work details.

BPD is busy after the event dealing with whatever spills out on the city streets, but Storrow Drive and alongside the river is off-limits to the BPD. [Turf issues]

No longer true. Although primarily a MSP show, BPD has a fair number of officers from specialty units involved in the operation. Also, DCR Rangers, NG, ANG, and other agencies.

Security is much tighter than it was even a few years ago.

Probably none. BPD can mandate officer to work OT and can call them in from home if need be. For the Celtics parade days off were canceled and several officers I talked with were "forced" in.

OK, Mayor Menino, if one of your flunkies is reading this forum, maybe he can pass the answer on to you. The answer, your mumbleness, is in the signature of one of our members:

What you tolerate, you validate; what you put up with - you DESERVE! - Scrivener

Probably none. BPD can mandate officer to work OT and can call them in from home if need be. For the Celtics parade days off were canceled and several officers I talked with were "forced" in.
I realize that. We have the same. I was forced the 3rd & 4th. We also have a policy that no details will be filled unless the department's needs are met first.

It seems that Geoff C has first hand information that there were extra patrols in those areas that were unfilled because officers worked details instead. I thought that maybe he had some numbers.

I realize that. We have the same. I was forced the 3rd & 4th. We also have a policy that no details will be filled unless the department's needs are met first.

I'd guess Boston does the same, but I don't know for sure.

It seems that Geoff C has first hand information that there were extra patrols in those areas that were unfilled because officers worked details instead. I thought that maybe he had some numbers.

I doubt it. The Longfellow Bridge is split jurisdiction, but BPD doesn't come into the mix. The roadway is MSP, at least I see them doing details on it and any time I've responded to a call there they show up and Boston never has. The rail portion (running down the middle) is MBTA PD jurisdiction and they do those details. The T puts on extra officers to cover the stations for July 4, but that's about the extent of their involvement.

Gary

No longer true. Although primarily a MSP show, BPD has a fair number of officers from specialty units involved in the operation. Also, DCR Rangers, NG, ANG, and other agencies.

Security is much tighter than it was even a few years ago.

Thanks for the info. Glad I no longer attend. Better seat in front of HD TV anyway and I don't have to deal with the jerks and drunks.

Last I was there it was all DCR Rangers and MSP on the ground (Esplanade). No idea who else (besides USCG) might have been in the water. [NG only handled the cannons.]

The crowd is so tight that unless you use black helicopters [rofl] it's damn near impossible for any LEO to move efficiently thru the mass of humanity to get anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom