WCVB - More than 1 in 10 MA residents licensed to carry a firearm

CAR

http://www.wcvb.com/article/mass-co...esidents-licensed-to-carry-guns-2017/12802600

i just read the text, I didn't watch the video. I don't know if their data tells us anything the people on this board wouldn't know - it's not that unusual, it's a little more common the further west you go in the state per capita, You can zoom in on the map to see the raw number and their per-capital calculation based that on a per-town basis. The article says they used data obtained this month from MA DCJIS for counts.

The article says they used data obtained this month from MA DCJIS for counts.

Hold the phone.... I thought that data was privileged and only released to law enforcement? I'd love to know just what was released to them. The last thing I need to deal with is some dickhead publishing my name and address like they did to the CCW holders in NY.

Last edited:
The best single thing that YOU can do for firearms rights in this state is to get your buddy to get a permit.

There is power in numbers, I set a goal of 2-3 people per year

Show me the report of towns issuing the fewest Class A LTCs.

Unintended consequence of eliminating the B-Ram option and making the "license to possess" (FID) the same price as "license to carry" (LTC-A)?

Hold the phone.... I thought that data was privileged and only released to law enforcement? I'd love to know just what was released to them. The last thing I need to deal with is some dickhead publishing my name and address like they did to the CCW holders in NY.
The MA-DCJIS has a policy statement on releasing names published on their home page.

Looking at how the WCVB article is phrased, I assume they are using the same summarized town-by-town count that the Boston Globe and other newspapers have been mining for "OMG! Guns! WTF?" articles for years.

WCVB said:
... the Berkshire County town of Peru, for example, has a population of 847. Of those residents, nearly 30 percent possess a Class A license to carry -- the highest rate in the state.
That is impressive, especially when you consider only about 600 of the 847 residents are over 21, so that's 42% of eligible adults! Compare this to NH, where (prior to the new state law) the highest reported P&R issuance rate for any one town was on the order of a mere 20%.
The number would appear much more impressive if they compared the number of LTC holders to the eligible adult population.
Too bad no reporter ever thinks to look into the towns with the fewest Class A LTCs, per-capita or total. CommonWealth came close.

Last edited:
The best single thing that YOU can do for firearms rights in this state is to get your buddy to get a permit.

LOL... Not really. One of my buddies just started with the "you don't need Assault rifles, there is no purpose in them besides killing".... I asked him if he would get rid of his M1 that was designed to kill people. He replied with "it can't hold more than 10 rounds".

I also know another one that enjoys trap shooting but I won't take him trap shooting because he doesn't believe in people owning guns.

So yeah... A license doesn't mean much. But it is a step in the right direction.

The number would appear much more impressive if they compared the number of LTC holders to the eligible adult population.

Of course that wouldn't help the liberal narrative or agenda. [thinking]

I figure that's at least partially offset by their use of 2010 population data - most towns have probably seen population increases in the last 7 years, so that using today's population numbers would reduce the percentage for most towns.

Gee, I wonder which way the discussion would turn if WCVB were to add the areas where gun violence has occurred on that map showing the towns in MA with the most LTCs?

I figure that's at least partially offset by their use of 2010 population data - most towns have probably seen population increases in the last 7 years, so that using today's population numbers would reduce the percentage for most towns.

Given that after the last census we lost a representative in the house, the trend is towards LOSING residents... God willing I'll take my family out of state too.

LOL... Not really. One of my buddies just started with the "you don't need Assault rifles, there is no purpose in them besides killing".... I asked him if he would get rid of his M1 that was designed to kill people. He replied with "it can't hold more than 10 rounds".

This argument is so completely flawed. The vast majority of people who people kill with guns, a 6 shot revolver or an 9 round .45 would be sufficient.

He is basically saying that he will tolerate 32,900 (22K are suicides) people being killed by guns that aren't semi-auto rifles with standard capacity mags, but not the 100 or so a year that are.

Gee, I wonder which way the discussion would turn if WCVB were to add the areas where gun violence has occurred on that map showing the towns in MA with the most LTCs?
Now, you know they could never do that. [laugh] The first person to even bring it up would get fired immediately! [shocked]

I also know another one that enjoys trap shooting but I won't take him trap shooting because he doesn't believe in people owning guns.

So yeah... A license doesn't mean much. But it is a step in the right direction.

Get new buddies.

Do some math:

How many LTC holders in Mass?

Find census data to see how many residents are over 21.

Calculate.

I think it's ridiculous to count people under 21 - like the millions of small children in Massachusetts to determine the percentage of gun ownership.

Anything to fit the narrative.

Do some math:

Calculate.

I think it's ridiculous to count people under 21 - like the millions of small children in Massachusetts to determine the percentage of gun ownership.

For percentage of gun ownership I would use 18+, but here is your population data from the 2010 census:

Total Population: 6,547,629
20 and over: 4,926,486
Difference: 1,621,143

Almost 25% of the population is under 21.

The 1 in 10 the article mentions seems too high for just counting LTCs, Wikipedia puts the 2016 population estimate at 6,811,779 and says 79.2% were over 18 in 2014. Thats 5,394,928 eligible for FID/LTC. Comm2A's total number for licenses at the beginning of 2016 was 385,899 or 7.15% of the eligible population. That's 1 in 14 including FIDs (Based on the beginning of 2016)

By my calculations, 99 out of every 100 media people, especially TV media, are compulsive, habitual liars.

Amen ! I have 2 this year and going to the range on Friday for a 3rd !

Honestly, I like Antis more than FUDDs: "as a gun owner, I support common sense gun control"

- disgusting!

Do some math:

Calculate.

don't forget the undocumented democrats to skew the numbers. If MA spent over a BILLION dollars on their health care (that they'll admit to), there's got to be more than a handful of them

Do some math:

Calculate.

Exactly. If we want rates of LTC possession, we need to use current population data for people 21 and older. If we want total gun license rates, use data for individuals 15 and older. To base these stats on total population figures from 7 years ago is lazy at best and intentionally dishonest at worst. I'm going for the latter. This does come from an idiot box news outlet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom