Ways to increase GOAL and COMM2A Membership

Let's just say GOAL got a $15m gift,what would they do differently,what could get done ?

I understand the membership numbers as a bargaining tool as in voters,but what would more money do ?

Buy some legistraitors. They're all for sale. . . for the right price.

One of the main problems with GOAL is that few people know they exist. If it wasn't for a guy at my job and my town requiring I become a member to get my LTC, I would have never known GOAL even existed. Even other gun owners I've spoken with at my job and elsewhere have never heard of them. I think the first step in increasing membership should be a campaign to make people aware the organization exists. This could start simply (and inexpensively) as current members going out of their way to speak with friends, family, coworkers, etc who are gun owners/non-anti about GOAL and what they do.

I agree. Back in the dark ages before the Internet and all the databases, mine lapsed too due to inattention on my part. Now with Email addresses and databases, there is no excuse not to set it up to send out an automated reminder a month before anyone's expiration. I solved my problem simply (back when it was a lot cheaper) by going Life member everywhere, thus I don't worry about expiration of membership in orgs anymore.

Good idea but beware that many resist this sort of thing. I tried to get Braintree R&P to mandate GOAL membership for all new members (after the vote, as there was tremendous push-back). The BOD did not back my proposal and the vote was overwhelmingly against it. This was probably 13-14 years ago long before the rift between BR&P and GOAL (back then the club was a gung-ho supporter of GOAL, they just didn't like to be told what they had to do). I tried the same thing at my first club and that failed too, that was back in the 1980s IIRC, however they did agree to a "voluntary $5 contribution to GOAL" notated on every dues bill. It was optional but that 300 member club collected ~$600/year and sent it off to GOAL this way.

I recall at "that-club-in-Easton" where the BOD eliminated the GOAL requirement, the membership voted it back and the BOD shot it back down again. Pitiful. :(

I was proud to provide my NRA and GOAL membership proof at renewal time. Now it's not required at my "new" club, but I provide it anyhow. ;)

One of the main problems with GOAL is that few people know they exist.

I think that pertains to many gun-related issues. If I wasn't a member on NES (which I assume most MA gun owners are not), I wouldn't know half of what's going on. I usually go to the range when its dead so don't talk to many other gun peeps routinely. Plus almost all of the people I work with and like half my friends are either antis or apathetic towards the issue.

I feel like this forum is the best tool for news regarding 2A in MA but unfortunetely not enough gun owners are into the "hobby" enough to join in or take the time to follow up on what's going on. Some don't even care as long as they're allowed to have their 30 year old .38 by the bedside loaded with the same 30 year old ammo in case of an emergency.

I thing GOAL should offer free memberships,that's if it really is about number of members.People can donate money if they want.

Just like NES.

Different levels of membership,but everyone is a member.

this x1000. want lots of memebers? do a one year free membership to all new members have forms at every guns shop and all the ranges. get the names first then hit them up for a fee their second year.

Is it possible to make a page where you can sign up and get your CC charged for $1 every time the AGO alters or amends the AWB guidance up until the point you've paid for your membership? I'd totally sign up for that.

I recall at "that-club-in-Easton" where the BOD eliminated the GOAL requirement, the membership voted it back and the BOD shot it back down again. Pitiful. :(

I was proud to provide my NRA and GOAL membership proof at renewal time. Now it's not required at my "new" club, but I provide it anyhow. ;)

I was the GOAL club rep back then and brought Jim in to speak at that meeting. Suddenly a month or so later it appeared that the BOD reversed the club members decision to remain a 100% GOAL club. Telling was the comment by the president that since Ames was 100% GOAL (all ~300 members) that none of the idiotic gun laws should exist. Wishful thinking that shows a lack of knowledge wrt how politics really works.

I thing GOAL should offer free memberships,that's if it really is about number of members.People can donate money if they want.

Just like NES.

Different levels of membership,but everyone is a member.

Most people are too cheap. They'll take it for free, but won't pay for it. Most people at the gun shows give the GOAL table a wide berth, like they will get a disease if they step up to the table to learn something about the org.

It's an interesting dynamic to watch in motion.

It's just like all the folks that buy an $800+ gun but won't spend more than $40 for a quality holster.

I agree,people are cheap,thats why there should be a free option.If there wasn't a free option here,the membership would be cut in half.

But I have heard from GOAL and others it's about the numbers.If free membership was an option and GOAL got 10k more members,how is that a bad thing ?

Formalized some of my ideas…

GOAL Memberships
$5 Informational Member - Electronic notices and updates only
Benefits: Greatly increase lobbying numbers, and attract new potential full members​
$30 Individual Member - Discounts on training, purchases, events, raffles, etc.
$$$ Multi-year, Family, Life,,, - All privileges

Promote to Clubs, Trainers, Retail Shops
Roll $5 Membership into EVERY yearly gun club membership
Club sends $5 and member info to GOAL​
Roll $5 Membership into EVERY LTC course fee
Trainer sends $5 and member info to GOAL​
$5 Membership Free with EVERY $200+ gun shop purchase
Equates to a max of 2.5%​
Customer registers on GOAL site with copy of receipt​
GOAL bills shop monthly/quarterly with copy of receipts​
Multiple purchases/year combine towards Full membership​
Special “100% GOAL Supporter” POP, promo, advertising material available for Clubs, Trainers, Shops

Combined GOAL/Comm2A Membership
Cross sell a combined membership to both orgs. Advertise on both sites​
Maybe offer at a slight discount​
Payment systems sends $$$ and member info to each site​
$10 Combined Informational Member -
$60 Combined Individual Member -
$$$ Combined Multi-year, Family, Life,,, -

GOAL Memberships
$5 Informational Member - Electronic notices and updates only
Benefits: Greatly increase lobbying numbers, and attract new potential full members​
$30 Individual Member - Discounts on training, purchases, events, raffles, etc.
$$$ Multi-year, Family, Life,,, - All privileges

Promote to Clubs, Trainers, Retail Shops
Roll $5 into EVERY yearly gun club membership
Club sends $5 and member info to GOAL​
Roll $5 into EVERY LTC course fee
Trainer sends $5 and member info to GOAL​
Free with EVERY $200+ gun shop purchase (equates to a max of 2.5%)
Customer registers on GOAL site with copy of receipt​
GOAL bills shop monthly/quarterly with copy of receipts​
Multiple purchases/year combine towards Full membership​
Special “100% GOAL Supporter” POP, promo, advertising material available for Clubs, Trainers, Shops

Combined GOAL/Comm2A Membership
Cross sell a combined membership to both orgs. Advertise on both sites​
Maybe offer at a slight discount​
Payment systems sends $$$ and member info to each site​
$10 Combined Informational Member -
$60 Combined Individual Member -
$$$ Combined Multi-year, Family, Life,,, -

Why does anyone think that mo' money will stop tyranny?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree,people are cheap,thats why there should be a free option.If there wasn't a free option here,the membership would be cut in half.

But I have heard from GOAL and others it's about the numbers.If free membership was an option and GOAL got 10k more members,how is that a bad thing ?

Good people aren't cheap, they don't have much disposable cash and everyone deserves a night out once in a while

The goal is to increase membership,giving away free memberships accomplishes( I would think) that goal.

The money thing..Maybe people are hesitant to send money to an organization that after everything was said and done,didn't stop anything from happening.GOAL could have had a million members and a billion dollars and they wouldn't have stopped Healey.

So,why should someone give GOAL money ?

Membership should be free,and donating money should be optional.

I think every member should/must be a "paid" member. Its more "legitimate" sounding when you can say "Senator, we represent 2000 active paid members who are voters in your district." How much they actually paid is another matter, that is private. That is why the $5 Informational Member. Some will be happy or could care less that they are a member. Others will hopefully see the benefit of becoming a full paid up member to support the cause, and will then receive the discounts and such.

I agree with the $5 "informational" member idea. All they get is regular email notifications / newsletter. How much does that really cost GOAL? If you do it for one person at a family membership $$$, then it costs NOTHING to send it to those $5 schmucks too. And then you gain membership (paid) AND you can hit up those $5 schmucks for donations. Offer classes for $$, events for $$, and other stuff like raffles and auctions for $$ to the $5 schmucks, then free to lifers.

Yep. Promote, attract, build, upgrade, upsell, retain, cross sell. Build a mighty coalition across all factions of gun ownership that is a political force to be feared and respected.

Back
Top Bottom