Ways to increase GOAL and COMM2A Membership

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thought I would post a thread for people to share ideas with how we can get membership in these fine organizations up.... Both groups become stronger with more members! Lets come up with how we can help increase the member base!

Couple of my thoughts:

1. This is county fair season maybe reps at country fairs (big ones like the Eastern States Exposition as well as smaller ones) might find some new members.
2. I would like to see both organizations have some kind of notifier for when membership lapses, I had let my GOAL membership run out and did not realize it.
3. Sign up your wives / husbands / girlfriends / boyfriends ect.

Reach out to your LGS. Have Goal and Comm2A create some sort of membership card with the website addresses on them to put at LGS that is either at the counter, or if amenable, given with each sale, explaining what it is Goal and Comm2A do.

Reach out to your LGS. Have Goal and Comm2A create some sort of membership card with the website addresses on them to put at LGS that is either at the counter, or if amenable, given with each sale, explaining what it is Goal and Comm2A do.

^
This
Every shop in the state should have that info right in front of the register.

i don't see a membership buy in on the comm2a website. you either jump into a monthly subscription (which folks on a fixed income may be hesitant to do) or donate a one time amount, could be any amount really. i see nothing offered like the nra membership tier. just using an example here...$30/yr, $50/2 yrs, $75/3 yrs and so on. and offer a life membership buy in. or did i miss something at the site?

Dual membership?

Here is what I posted earlier today in the Indoor Rally thread...

It was said last night and has been abundantly clear that both GOAL and Comm2A need to get their membership numbers way up. The example used last night was being able to got to a legislator saying we represent X number of voters in your district.

I think we need a drive to double membership over the next year, and again the year after that.

Couple of thoughts:

Can GOAL and Comm2A combine membership somehow? You become a member of one and you are a member of the other? Dual citizenship. Even if it requires transferring $0.01 to the other, I bet the clever folks can figure something out. Maybe it could be an "informational" membership that doesn't receive discounts on training or other benefits. Or maybe each site offers a Combined G/2A membership and splits the fee.

Can we get some kind of membership drive going where a member can sponsor new members for an introductory one-year discounted rate? I'd gladly sponsor 10 new people at $5 each. Next year they pay the normal rate.

I'd like to see Comm2a offer a lifetime membership too. I donate monthly now, but if a lifetime were available, I'd probably go that route.

GOAL always has a booth at the topsfield fair, however i don't know if it helps with increasing membership .

based on the numbers put out on one of the threads after maura's b.s., i doubt it (ltc's in mass vs. goal members)

the majority of ltc holders in mass just don't seem to GAF (i've got mine and don't care mentality)

Sad.[sad2][sad2]

Can GOAL offer an automatically renewing membership? I forget to renew so an automatic renew would be great.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

- I also forgot to renew GOAL this year, so I was lapsed for a few months. Some kind of reminder email(s) would help.
- How about a recruitment drive with "prizes" for referrals?
- Maybe encourage gift memberships? I could buy a membership for a friend, etc.

Some good ideas here, keep them coming. I am sure the GOAL and COMM 2A guys are watching....

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Lifetime membership only helps these orgs to the point your paying. Once you're lifetime membership is "paid" are they done working hard for us? No. I agree with monthly sponsorship for Comm2A to keep being the papercut under the finger nail of this retarded state.

I second the motion of GOAL reminder of membership is lapsing cuz I'll be honest. I don't have a clue if I'm still up to snuff there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had posted a couple times, do a pay it forward type thing. We all know people who are into guns but not on here or may not know about GOAL. Get them a membership, with the caveat they have to get someone else a membership, pay it forward.

Lifetime membership only helps these orgs to the point your paying.

I see your point, but your membership does still have value simply because you're a body.

Magazines don't care about the revenue from you as a subscriber. Their circulation numbers affect ad rates though. That's the greater benefit to them.

The same is true to a certain extent with these groups. Yes, they need money, but the more numbers they have behind them theven further that money goes.

Magazines don't care about the revenue from you as a subscriber. Their circulation numbers affect ad rates though. That's the greater benefit to them.
No, but you need to be a "paid subscriber" for the subscriber count to have meaning to an advertiser. That's why some hotels have a nominal fee for the copy of USA Today you find at your door, and why you can the the $.10 (or whatever) deducted from you bill upon request. It turns all those hotel guest copies into "purchased or paid subscription" issues.

Maybe some of the gun shops can offer a 1/2 off a yearly membership with each purchase of a gun.
Yes it's a big hit to the shop owners, trust me I'm self employed and know that can add up.
But if its offerd and a yearly reminder went out to that member there is a good chance they re-up.
Just a thought.

Jason.

I've been trying to spread the word recruiting more members but have found most just like to bitch and are too cheap to throw out some tax deductible donations/membership, at the same time they'll sit there smoking cigarettes.... What are those like $10/pack now? I could care less if anyone smokes but memberships and yearly contributions to comm2a probably cost less than a month's worth of butts.

Can we get some kind of membership drive going where a member can sponsor new members for an introductory one-year discounted rate? I'd gladly sponsor 10 new people at $5 each. Next year they pay the normal rate.

I like this idea...I would also sponsor 10 new people...even at $10...maybe for a six month membership...but they would need email reminders when about to expire.

I know folks who could help setting up automated email renewal reminders...I sure many of the NES members who are in IT could do the same. In this day and age, no reason this emails cannot be easily generated from database.

I have been thinking about this...first things first.

We (GOAL) need to find out how to not let memberships expire. Once that is done we can move onto adding new members. Maybe we can form a volunteer retention and expansion committee? I would be glad to help out and I am sure many others would too.

As would I.

Membership recruitment and retention committee. Minimum goal ( no pun intended) 10% of all MA gun owners in 1 year, 25% in 3.

Getting the membership numbers way up is critical for political clout and leverage. How much incremental revenue needs to be brought in to support current and projected op ex is another. That is why I would like to see an agressive campaign first to increase membership, which in turn will improve revenue.

A couple years ago I let my GOAL membership lapse by a couple weeks and renewed online. The day that my new info came in the mail so did my reminder to renew. Do they not send this out any longer?

When I was a green member every year when I would renew my GOAL membership I would Karma 1 or 2 off. It is amazing how many people are willing to pay for a forum membership, but wont join GOAL.

Not saying that the forum membership isn't worth it at all. I only let mine lapse as I haven't had time for it.

People could pony up the $30 to "sponsor" someone with GOAL.

Didn't we just do this? [rofl]

And others, instead of debating whether this was a good idea or not, could pony up $30 to sponsor others. People who got sponsored could feel guilty and turn around and spend their $30 on others.

Nah. That'd never work. Stupid idea. ;)

I have been thinking about this...first things first.

We (GOAL) need to find out how to not let memberships expire. Once that is done we can move onto adding new members. Maybe we can form a volunteer retention and expansion committee? I would be glad to help out and I am sure many others would too.

I agree. Back in the dark ages before the Internet and all the databases, mine lapsed too due to inattention on my part. Now with Email addresses and databases, there is no excuse not to set it up to send out an automated reminder a month before anyone's expiration. I solved my problem simply (back when it was a lot cheaper) by going Life member everywhere, thus I don't worry about expiration of membership in orgs anymore.

As would I.

Membership recruitment and retention committee. Minimum goal ( no pun intended) 10% of all MA gun owners in 1 year, 25% in 3.

Getting the membership numbers way up is critical for political clout and leverage. How much incremental revenue needs to be brought in to support current and projected op ex is another. That is why I would like to see an agressive campaign first to increase membership, which in turn will improve revenue.

Good idea but beware that many resist this sort of thing. I tried to get Braintree R&P to mandate GOAL membership for all new members (after the vote, as there was tremendous push-back). The BOD did not back my proposal and the vote was overwhelmingly against it. This was probably 13-14 years ago long before the rift between BR&P and GOAL (back then the club was a gung-ho supporter of GOAL, they just didn't like to be told what they had to do). I tried the same thing at my first club and that failed too, that was back in the 1980s IIRC, however they did agree to a "voluntary $5 contribution to GOAL" notated on every dues bill. It was optional but that 300 member club collected ~$600/year and sent it off to GOAL this way.

Instead of requiring an NRA membership to shoot, ranges could require a GOAL or Comm2A Membership. Not sure how feasible that would be, but it could be a start.

Maybe gun shops and shooting ranges can offer discounts to members of GOAL or Comm2A. Even a 3-5% discount on a $500 gun could be a savings of $15-$25, which I think everyone could appreciate.

If there was a way to prove current membership at the above places, then this could help increase memberships.

Maybe gun shops and shooting ranges can offer discounts to members of GOAL or Comm2A. Even a 3-5% discount on a $500 gun could be a savings of $15-$25, which I think everyone could appreciate.

If there was a way to prove current membership at the above places, then this could help increase memberships.

Ammo might be a better place, or a goal rewards card- if you're a member of goal every X purchases at a participating store you can get Y discount.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not a member of Goal nor Comm2a, but damit I show up where I need to, call my reps when told to, get as much voice out to people as possible, and I spent about $250 at the dinner to help out. My Wallet's currently lighter than I'd like but by the end of the summer I'll have joined.

Back
Top Bottom