Ways of Buying an MP5

I have a few NFA SBRs and this Getz MP5 clone is one of them. It's fun to shoot but installing any kind of optic (red dot) isn't easy. A picatinny rail would be nice. I've shot MP5 and the UZI guns in full auto configuration and the best of the two is the UZI. Its weight and somewhat slower fire rate makes it easy to stay on target.

mp5_sbr2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few NFA SBRs and this Getz MP5 clone is one of them. It's fun to shoot but installing any kind of optic (red dot) isn't easy. A picatinny rail would be nice. I've shot MP5 and the UZI guns in full auto configuration and the best of the two is the UZI. It weight and somewhat slower fire rate makes it easy to stay on target.

View attachment 259677

This is the mount I use, it’s uktra low and very clean on the MP5. I used the Vortex because the optic is on a see through base that allows use of the iron sights. Honestly it couldn’t be easier.

MFI Ultra low mount, T1, H1, Red Dot

Last edited:
I’ve looked into this but I’m not an expert. I believe all one needs to use the law letter is to get an FFL and pay the SOT which is $500 per year. You never really own the machine gun but you can keep it and “demo” it as long as you pay the SOT annually and keep your FFL. If you give up your FFL you have to sell the post 86 machine guns. You also get the benefit of form 3 silencer transfers in a week or two. Again, you never really own them.

Law letter is for an FFL/SOT to buy a post-86 dealer sample machinegun from another SOT who isn't going out of business.

As an 07 there is 3 ways to get a machine gun, 1- build (most fun). 2- buy from SOT that is going out of business (no law letter, just form 3 which takes one to two days) 3- get a law letter from local PD to demo a certain machine gun to them. (good luck..)

Being an 07 you own the machine guns for as long as your FFL and SOT are valid. Theyre yours. Not on lease or anything.. silencers are yours if you're a sole proprietor and give up your SOT. There's a whole lot of things to learn as an FFL..

As far as Mp5 clones, buy a zenith z5. They're awesome and relatively available. I can help locate one if anyone's interested, primarily OP.

Law letter is for an FFL/SOT to buy a post-86 dealer sample machinegun from another SOT who isn't going out of business.

As an 07 there is 3 ways to get a machine gun, 1- build (most fun). 2- buy from SOT that is going out of business (no law letter, just form 3 which takes one to two days) 3- get a law letter from local PD to demo a certain machine gun to them. (good luck..)

Being an 07 you own the machine guns for as long as your FFL and SOT are valid. Theyre yours. Not on lease or anything.. silencers are yours if you're a sole proprietor and give up your SOT. There's a whole lot of things to learn as an FFL..

As far as Mp5 clones, buy a zenith z5. They're awesome and relatively available. I can help locate one if anyone's interested, primarily OP.

Thanks! Not sure I'm up for all the FFl/SOT stuff (I hardly follow the conversation), but if you happen to have any leads on a reasonably priced Zenith z5 that is MA compliant, then I'm all ears.

Is that because of the pistol caliber cartridge or for other reasons?

Its because you really need to cram yourself into the gun. The iron sights are so low, that its a really heads down shooting position making it slow on target and transitions compared to AR PCCs. A red dot certainly helps with that, but that really makes the gun a butterface

My point was you don't need to be an 07, I think an 03 will suffice. The FFL owns the post 86 machine guns, if you give up your FFL or SOT you have to sell them. I never mentioned a lease of anything. My friend who did this went to the local PD and got the law letter. He is not in Philadelphia, I doubt they would go for it but one never knows till you try. Its all who you know in Philly.

My point was you don't need to be an 07, I think an 03 will suffice. The FFL owns the post 86 machine guns, if you give up your FFL or SOT you have to sell them. I never mentioned a lease of anything. My friend who did this went to the local PD and got the law letter. He is not in Philadelphia, I doubt they would go for it but one never knows till you try. Its all who you know in Philly.
For the few bucks more, get the 07. It opens the door to suppressors in Mass. Jack.

Wait? Really? An 03 is good enough to get a dealer sample?

I had the same itch, but scratched it building an SBR on an Angstadt Arms Glock lower.

Similar to this:

View attachment 259685

That was honestly a close 2nd option. Kept on going back and fourth in my head about it. I love the Glock mag compatibility, as I have a few pre-bans from my Sub2k already. Still might be something I do if I can't find a reasonable MP5 clone. Just need to read up on how to do that as well (aren't there Maura considerations with the platform?). I started asking about that elsewhere and I think I just got people annoyed about the question.

I saw a zenith carbine at gartman, I think for $2100

Zenith is licensed by hk to use their tooling. Close your going to get, they also have a like new hk94 for $6000

You weren't wrong, assuming this is still in stock. Thanks for the tip. Could be one option, but still looking to see if there are any other cheaper routes.

Inventory | Gartman Arms Company

This store's inventory is pretty awesome for MA.

What?!? They had a PS90 that sold for under $1500 in MA? I think I'm going to make a weekend trip after the holidays.

Last edited:
You weren't wrong, assuming this is still in stock. Thanks for the tip. Could be one option, but still looking to see if there are any other cheaper routes.

Inventory | Gartman Arms Company

This store's inventory is pretty awesome for MA.

What?!? They had a PS90 that sold for under $1500 in MA? I think I'm going to make a weekend trip after the holidays.

Holy shit, that barrel will poke your eye out.

Of course, if you're going to forego rock-n-roll, there's a cheaper alternative that still gives you the look and feel.

260vqk2.jpg

My GSG-5 and Walther/IWI Uzi. Both cheap to shoot, too.

If your playing the want game and start mumbling about SOT/07/my own shop ......it becomes like any other expensive sport. You find a way to get it done. My friend drag races spends all his money to blast down the strip a handful of times a year....i think at one point he figured out acctual track time (his car averages just under 11sec) cost to be around $1200 secound....

...aside from joining an elite special forces team.

I'm obsessed with getting an MP5. Just a byproduct of growing up in the 80's watching action films I guess. Now in my 40's, I think I can make that a reality. Still though, I'd rather not break the bank too much, which leads me to my question. What is the most economical way to buy one?

I occasionally see complete builds in Armslist or in classifieds here for some pretty steep prices. While that's maybe not completely off the table, I do wonder if it would be cheaper to part them together or even buy a kit and have a gunsmith put it together. Although, I don't have enough experience on that end to know if I'm looking at the same prices at the end of the day. How would you do it?

I think I'd most likely be looking at a carbine and then try SBR'ing it at some later point in the future. Just a big purchase that I want to study up on before pulling any triggers. The only part I know for sure so far is that I am in no way nearly capable of putting a flat together myself.
How much where you spending going out. Where do you go out? If your single get out of MA and get the real deal.

How much where you spending going out. Where do you go out? If your single get out of MA and get the real deal.

I'm not sure of my average savings, but I do know what I cut out. I would typically order lunch delivery 5 days a week at work and then also go out for dinner and/or bar 2-3 times a week. This was either in Cambridge or Southie. The savings have been significant. I am fortunate enough that I really didn't have to get as drastic to buy something in this price range, but it does make me feel a lot better about blowing $2k on something I technically don't need if I know I traded off something for it.

I'd love to move to a free (or free-er) state, but I have work and family obligations here in MA. I also don't think I could currently justify dropping full auto money, if that's what you meant. I'd sooner buy a used car for a winter beater.

Back
Top Bottom