Ways of Buying an MP5

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
...aside from joining an elite special forces team.

I'm obsessed with getting an MP5. Just a byproduct of growing up in the 80's watching action films I guess. Now in my 40's, I think I can make that a reality. Still though, I'd rather not break the bank too much, which leads me to my question. What is the most economical way to buy one?

I occasionally see complete builds in Armslist or in classifieds here for some pretty steep prices. While that's maybe not completely off the table, I do wonder if it would be cheaper to part them together or even buy a kit and have a gunsmith put it together. Although, I don't have enough experience on that end to know if I'm looking at the same prices at the end of the day. How would you do it?

I think I'd most likely be looking at a carbine and then try SBR'ing it at some later point in the future. Just a big purchase that I want to study up on before pulling any triggers. The only part I know for sure so far is that I am in no way nearly capable of putting a flat together myself.

An actual HK branded MP5 is basically unobtanium.
I'd look for the clones. Several very well built clones that are actually BETTER than what HK puts out. Many use the same tooling.

You can find a dealer that would transfer you a rifle, SBR it then get it chopped.

I bought this: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/omega-9mm-full-size-receiver-atlantic-exclusive

Then I applied for a stamp. When it came back approved, I bought a stock and lower for it. All in it was 1800 including a stamp.

Most fun gun I own.

Attachments

• mp5.PNG
    mp5.PNG
    191.8 KB · Views: 244
Fact is an roller locking 9mm HK-style gun is going to cost you more than $1000. There's plenty in the $1k-2k range under different names and many are very nice.

PTR, Brethren, Zenith, Dakota, POF, DJ Getz, BOD, Omega, Kelly... Rumor has it Palmetto will be making one.

Fact is an roller locking 9mm HK-style gun is going to cost you more than $1000. There's plenty in the $1k-2k range under different names and many are very nice.

PTR, Brethren, Zenith, Dakota, POF, DJ Getz, BOD, Omega, Kelly... Rumor has it Palmetto will be making one.

I was actually budgeting up to an upper limit of $2k, although the whole reason for this thread was to avoid actually spending $2k. Wondering if I could save money somehow. I've saved up some dollars by not going out on the weekends to bars and trying to eat at home more. Crazy how that can add up if you have the discipline to put that money you'd spend aside.

There's one in classifieds here right now for $2600. That's more than I want to spend, although it looks like a great fit. If you have a lead on a sub $2k (not keltec) MP5, then I'm all ears!

I saw a zenith carbine at gartman, I think for $2100

Zenith is licensed by hk to use their tooling. Close your going to get, they also have a like new hk94 for $6000

Maybe a dumb question, but what's Gartman?

Wrentham about 2 miles from Gillette stadium. Tim said they had some deal from the company they met at the shot show. It looked and handled nice. I’m holding out for a Fleming sear, probably the most expensive part ever is you measure it dollars to weight. Only kidding.

Last edited:
...aside from joining an elite special forces team.

I'm obsessed with getting an MP5. Just a byproduct of growing up in the 80's watching action films I guess. Now in my 40's, I think I can make that a reality. Still though, I'd rather not break the bank too much, which leads me to my question. What is the most economical way to buy one?

I occasionally see complete builds in Armslist or in classifieds here for some pretty steep prices. While that's maybe not completely off the table, I do wonder if it would be cheaper to part them together or even buy a kit and have a gunsmith put it together. Although, I don't have enough experience on that end to know if I'm looking at the same prices at the end of the day. How would you do it?

I think I'd most likely be looking at a carbine and then try SBR'ing it at some later point in the future. Just a big purchase that I want to study up on before pulling any triggers. The only part I know for sure so far is that I am in no way nearly capable of putting a flat together myself.

If you can find a DJ Getz buy it, he stopped making them a couple of years ago but you can find new old stock. B&T are made on HK tooling and are the best in my opinion. Zenith are also top notch made on HK tooling.

B&T AG
Home – Zenith Firearms

Wrentham about 2 miles from Gillette stadium. Tim said they had some deal from the company they met at the shot show. It looked and handled nice. I’m holding out for a Fleming sear, probably the most expensive part ever is you measure it dollars to weight.

I know an M16 transferable auto sear that wants a word with you.

If you can find a DJ Getz buy it, he stopped making them a couple of years ago but you can find new old stock. B&T are made on HK tooling and are the best in my opinion. Zenith are also top notch made on HK tooling.

B&T AG
Home – Zenith Firearms

Saw a Zenith a year ago at GFA Arms in Natick that I'm now questioning my sanity for not buying. Looked legit, if not for the 16" barrel that was begging for SBR. If I recall, it was at or under $2k. Bought my first pistol from Greg at that shop. Great guy.

I was actually budgeting up to an upper limit of $2k, although the whole reason for this thread was to avoid actually spending $2k. Wondering if I could save money somehow. I've saved up some dollars by not going out on the weekends to bars and trying to eat at home more. Crazy how that can add up if you have the discipline to put that money you'd spend aside.

There's one in classifieds here right now for $2600. That's more than I want to spend, although it looks like a great fit. If you have a lead on a sub $2k (not keltec) MP5, then I'm all ears!

Omega A3s are $2k as I recall. The last one with a fixed stock I saw was $1750 at an MA shop, though I'm forgetting which one...

Zenith Z5 Rifles go for $2200 list here's one listed on another site for $1700.
WTS Zenith Z-5 Rifle - AR15.COM

All you'd need to do is have the muzzle device pinned or have it go straight to the FFL you want to SBR it.

I’ve just spent the last hour hour searching for NFA items and being tempted to buy things with giggle switches.

I still kick myself for not buying the AC556 from GFA when I was there.

If you don't want to get raped get an 07 FFL and build one as an engineering sample, or buy a post sample on a law letter/closing dealer, or a pre may DS (which costs like half as much as a "civilian" one) or at least they used to...

-Mike

If you don't want to get raped get an 07 FFL and build one as an engineering sample, or buy a post sample on a law letter/closing dealer, or a pre may DS (which costs like half as much as a "civilian" one) or at least they used to...

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Although, I'm now going to have to look up just about everything you just posted, as it cleared my head by a mile. Sounds good, I think.

-Mike

What’s the deal with pre-may. I saw that a few times... how is a dealer sample transferable?

Edit; never mind. I looked it up... it can’t be transferred to a normal person just the FFL. I need to find a location... someone buy a large building near me like Jack has with the mill.

Or maybe I should buy the building and become a landlord

Last edited:
Saw a Zenith a year ago at GFA Arms in Natick that I'm now questioning my sanity for not buying. Looked legit, if not for the 16" barrel that was begging for SBR. If I recall, it was at or under $2k. Bought my first pistol from Greg at that shop. Great guy.

Greg is a awesome guy, you should ask him what’s for options. He’s a hk guru

Greg was my guy when I lived in Mass. I bought my DJGetz from him. The best shop in the state in my limited experience. Back in the mid 90s I overpaid at the time for a supposedly unfired MP5 with an auto sear at 14k. 7 for the sear and 7 for the MP5. Other than selling my condo in Boston it may be the best investment I’ve made lol. I don’t shoot the OG MP5 anymore, I put the sear in the Getz.

B366853C-6403-44C2-A7C4-751793004C60.jpeg

-Mike

But by the time and cost to get the 07, and a lease on some space, plus the build parts, don't they sort of equal out? I realize you can do alot of other stuff, but that first build as an 07 is expensive, no?

But by the time and cost to get the 07, and a lease on some space, plus the build parts, don't they sort of equal out? I realize you can do alot of other stuff, but that first build as an 07 is expensive, no?

I’ve looked into this but I’m not an expert. I believe all one needs to use the law letter is to get an FFL and pay the SOT which is $500 per year. You never really own the machine gun but you can keep it and “demo” it as long as you pay the SOT annually and keep your FFL. If you give up your FFL you have to sell the post 86 machine guns. You also get the benefit of form 3 silencer transfers in a week or two. Again, you never really own them.

I have a Zenith RS Classic. It is a great gun but like all MP5s its like a super model that's a dead fish in bed. They look awesome, but pretty meh to shoot

Greg was my guy when I lived in Mass. I bought my DJGetz from him. The best shop in the state in my limited experience. Back in the mid 90s I overpaid at the time for a supposedly unfired MP5 with an auto sear at 14k. 7 for the sear and 7 for the MP5. Other than selling my condo in Boston it may be the best investment I’ve made lol. I don’t shoot the OG MP5 anymore, I put the sear in the Getz.

View attachment 259629

That is pretty much exactly what I eventually want to end up with in terms of set up. I'm drooling.

I have a Zenith RS Classic. It is a great gun but like all MP5s its like a super model that's a dead fish in bed. They look awesome, but pretty meh to shoot
Funny you say that. I once shot a few magazines from mp5 and uzi autos back to back. The uzi was easier to control and keep on target.

Back
Top Bottom