• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wayland - Limit Carrying of Weapons in Town Buildings and to Town Events

Would someone please egg that douchebag's house? I'm a little far away....

Please don’t. That would only make people have sympathy for him and reinforce the stereotype that some people have about gun owners.

Last year, Galbi claimed that someone honked their car horn at him and flipped him off. Galbi called the police and the incident ended up in the newspaper.

I know you were just speaking in jest, but we can’t even joke about this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Actually, I just read the full text. The article contains no penalty for violating the ban. So it would, indeed, result in the police only being able to tell you to leave.

Usually town bylaws have a general section with penalties for violating any one of the bylaws. The penalty section would apply unless a specific penalty is included in the bylaws.

Looks like it's here: Town of Wayland, MA: General Provisions - Possibly a fine of up to $300

So in this case is “notwithstanding” saying they wish to ignore MGL 140?

Yes, "notwithstanding" is commonly used in lawmaking to mean "despite". As in "despite some other law/regulation that would otherwise apply, we here apply this new thing in its place for certain circumstances".

The FinCom doesn’t decide. The decision is made by the voters at town meeting.

For each article that will go to town meeting, the FinCom reviews the article to determine the potential financial impact to the town. Then the FinCom votes on whether to recommend passage of the article, recommend against passage, or have no opinion. The FinComs opinion is printed in the town warrant in advance of the town meeting, and it may sway the voters.

I said where do they get the power to cast this vote. My earlier post quoting someone else makes the argument for them to vote against passage.

No question we are fighting it. We won’t let up because there are no penalties.

As for the Wayland PD, the chief has opposed Galbi’s articles in the past and I expect he will speak against this article as well.

I’ve dealt with Wayland PD officers on several occasions and have always been favorably impressed.

Glad it is being fought. "Expect" NOTHING of them. Ask them what they are going to do, preferably in a meeting where it gets recorded.

Yes, the key being, under a home rule petition. Most home rule petitions for things that create parochial major exceptions to state law like this end up failing.

Most ain't all!

I said where do they get the power to cast this vote. My earlier post quoting someone else makes the argument for them to vote against passage.

I’m confused by what you are asking.

The Finance Committee is charged with evaluating the financial impact of town meeting articles. For each article they can do one of three things: recommend passage, recommend against passage, or take no opinion. Like any committee, they make their decisions by a vote of the members of the committee.

The FinCom’s recommendations are just that — recommendations. They aren’t in any way binding on the town. Town voters are free to consider the FinCom’s recommendations or to ignore them.

The FinCom mainly considers articles based on the financial impact to the town. Is the article a good use of town funds? Can we afford it? Do we have higher financial priorities? Is it a judicious use of town funds or a waste of money?

Considering the complexity of the town’s finances, having a committee that reviews articles independently is a good thing.

Responsibilities | Wayland MA

Bump for tonight's meetings at the Wayland Town Building. The Board of Selectmen (7:25pm) & Finance Committee (7:15pm) are scheduled to discuss Warrant Articles including Article GG. These meetings are open to the public and Wayland residents may offer comments. The proposed article and agenda's are below - please note the times are approximate.

Attachments

• Article GG BoS Packet 11March2019.pdf
    802.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2019-03-11_bos_agenda_-_revised.pdf
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
  • _agenda_march_11_2019_tc.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 0
I was there tonight. The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously against the article (0 in favor, 5 against). The Finance Committee voted to defer taking a position. They could take a position at Town Meeting (but I expect that they won't).

So, did anybody point out the costs to the town? The deferral was a cowardly way out for sure.

Yes, the potential costs were pointed out to the BoS and FinCom. The FinCom is of the opinion that this article does not call for financial expenditures and therefore has no financial implications, so they should stay out of it. At least one FinCom member dismissed possible legal costs as being speculative.

Galbi claims that Town Counsel is of the opinion that this article does not conflict with state law so that there would be no problem with getting it approved by the AG. I disagree.

I was there tonight. The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously against the article (0 in favor, 5 against). The Finance Committee voted to defer taking a position. They could take a position at Town Meeting (but I expect that they won't).
Sadly, no matter how moronic or not based in fact the petitioners proposal is, it is still going to be on April's meeting. Time to beat the drum and rally realistic, like minded Wayland residents to defeat this soundly. I thought Jared N. did a good job pointing out MGL and remained calm doing so. It was so obvious no one in the room supported Galbi's agenda. However, being polite is getting old, and when people try to push there morals on you its very hard to swallow. I don't tell him how to serve his granola.

How do you square that with the various city/towns with knife restrictions? The same exact scenario currently exists.
I cannot believe that crap! As I pass through various cities/towns like Boston, Cambridge, Salem, Lynn, Beverly, etc. I go from legal to illegal and vice versa with each passing mile because I carry a 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" lockblade folder in.my back pocket. Massachusetts is definitely hell-bent on creating instant criminals out of innocent citizens. I was denied my LTC and had to settle for FID. Now, I cannot even carry the knife that I legally carried for many years in Alabama! Unbelievable!

Town Meeting Issues Forum
April 3, 2019 @ 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Wayland Senior Center, Town Building
41 Cochituate Rd, Wayland MA

The League of Women Voters of Wayland will hold a forum on Wednesday, April 3 at 7:30 on the major issues to be discussed at Annual Town Meeting that starts on April 29. It is a chance for the public to ask questions about the warrant articles.

It is unclear if the Petitioner who is sponsoring the "Limit to Carrying of Weapons" article will appear at this forum to take questions.

The League of Women Voters of Wayland will hold a forum on Wednesday, April 3 at 7:30 on the major issues to be discussed at Annual Town Meeting that starts on April 29. ...
It is unclear if the Petitioner who is sponsoring the "Limit to Carrying of Weapons" article will appear at this forum to take questions.
League of Women Voters of Massachusetts: League Positions

WHERE WE STAND
Program Book
League of Women Voters of Massachusetts
Last Updated October 2018

Social Policy
Handgun Control

Goal:

Elimination of the private possession of handguns
(1974) and assault weapons (1989).

The League supports:
  • limitation of the sale and possession of handguns and assault weapons to law enforcement and military personnel
  • a possible exception for sportsmen if the guns are used and stored away from the home under controlled conditions
Until such a time as a ban on the private
possession of handguns and assault
weapons becomes law the League
supports:

• improved and standardized licensing procedures
  • training in the use of handguns and assault weapons and the responsibilities of ownership [Emphasis mine; see below/AHM]
  • education of the public to the dangers of the handgun in the home
  • strict enforcement of the present laws concerning handgun ownership
  • measures to encourage the removal of all handguns and assault weapons from the home and street
League action
In 1975 LWVMA co-filed a bill to ban handguns to
all but police, military and certain other people. It did
not pass. In 1975 the League joined other groups in
collecting more than 102,000 certified signatures on
an initiative petition to ban the private possession of
handguns. After the bill failed to pass the legislature
in 1976, the League helped collect the additional
signatures needed to place the question on the ballot.
The referendum was defeated by a two-to-one
margin. The League's efforts to ban the "Saturday
night special" handgun have also failed.

LWVMA has worked for stricter licensing and
registration procedures and has met with no success.
During late 1976 and early 1977, LWVMA
participated in mediation sessions involving groups
on both sides of the limitation issue. Agreement was
reached on institution of administrative steps to be
taken by police chiefs to improve licensing
procedures, making them more uniform and strict.
LWVMA supported a bill to require handgun owners
to pass safety courses before being granted gun
permits, but general support for these kinds of
measures is weak

Background
  • 1974: Delegates to state council adopted a short study on statewide control of the sale and possession of handguns. In the fall of that year, members, concerned about violence committed through the use of handguns, reached consensus in support of limiting private possession of handguns. Members agreed that the most effective way to control misuse of handguns is to limit their number.
  • 1989: Delegates to state convention, responding to concern over violence committed with assault weapons, adopted, through concurrence, the addition of the words "and assault weapons" to the handgun control position.
  • 1990: Delegates to national convention adopted, through concurrence, a national position on handgun control.
2xnvvh.jpg

=====
Although since they support training in the use of assault weapons,
we should use their logo at all NES shoots.

Maybe "repurpose" some of those roadside signs they scatter about town.
"LWV Assault Weapon Training next Saturday".

It's the least we can do for them.

so wayland LTC holders can tonight got to a meeting carrying , assuming meeting is at town hall.? , to oppose a town meeting warrant to BAN such activity in the future.

“An accident waiting to happen” - Maybe not last decade, maybe not this decade, maybe not the next. Just waiting...to happen...waiting...

You can prove it’s never happened but you can’t prove it never will - heck of a strong arguement.

The Wayland 2019 Annual Town Warrant was posted on-line today. This is now Article 24, third from the end. It will most likely be heard either very late on April 30 or at the May 1 session.

Attachments

• Pages from 2019_atm_warrant.pdf
    811.4 KB · Views: 7
The Board of Selectmen will hold a Town Meeting Warrant Hearing at their meeting on Monday April 22; the agenda lists the time as approximately 7:30-8:45pm. The Petitioners are requested to appear to discuss their articles with the BoS, Finance Committee, and Town Moderator prior to Town Meeting.

It is a chance to see if the Petitioner is planning any changes to Article 24 as it is presented in the Warrant, or challenges to the Finance Committee commentary. Any Wayland citizens interested in this article should try to make an appearance. If you can't make the meeting in person, it should be streaming on https://www.waycam.tv/home

Back
Top Bottom