• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wayland Home Invasion

So screw the "maybe, someday, not our town, not us, suburbia" BS. This happened down the street from me and we were home with the door unlocked, this could have very easily been my house on the news.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/06/15/police-seek-suspect-in-wayland-home-invasion/

So this guy walks in my front door and by all accounts was drugged out of his mind. "She says he had a blank stare and did not speak during the incident. " (Yes its just an assumption but generally people in a normal state of mind don't run around doing this sort of thing)

What do you do when a random guy bursts through your door? Dog goes crazy, you run to the safe and scream at your wife to head for the other safe... Guy runs after wife but has no weapon.

What next? Seriously? In MA what can you actually do?

I guess its a multiple part question:

1. What can you legally do?
2. How do you defend your family and home without losing everything in a legal battle?
3. When does instinct take over and natural defense kick in because honestly, my brain isn't thinking legal battle when a guy throws open my door and bursts into my kitchen. My brain is identifying a threat, evaluating options, and then solving the problem. Consequences are what come after all this.

I think (thankfully having no experience at this, I admit) that if you have time or the inclination to consider legal issues you probably are not under the level of threat necessary to justify lethal force. Once the line is crossed and it's time to fight then you just do it and deal with the consequences later. Often this get's discussed as if it's a game -- "can I kill this guy or not?". When the time comes (and no sensible person wants that time to come) you won't be asking that question. You will be fighting for your life.

I think Deval said we need empathy for terrorists. Should work for home invaders too.

I would only go to pistol as last resort, call me a coward but I think i would rather be at home with my family than cooling my heels in jail. I think someone my size and background could take someone down. That said, if i saw that he was armed my first response would be the great equalizer.

IBTL

I would only go to pistol as last resort, call me a coward but I think i would rather be at home with my family than cooling my heels in jail. I think someone my size and background could take someone down. That said, if i saw that he was armed my first response would be the great equalizer. IBTL
Sure, I could take someone smaller down, but that means risking my life and health trying to go head-to-head with the guy who just broke into my home.

Doesn't matter how young/strong/trained/smart you are -- one lucky hit, one bad fall, you are on disability for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't be running to the safe for my firearm [smile].. On a serious note though I don't think I'd have time to decide between lethal and non lethal force, if my family is in jeopardy I think I'd go straight to ending it by any means. Hopefully I never have to test it.

If we were just sitting in the living room, I probably wouldn't think to run to the gun safe. A stranger, id tell my wife to run to the safe and get my daughter out if there and probably end up fist fighting the guy if he got aggressive, i mean to the point of slamming his head into the floor, of he had a knife from the get go id grab my daughter and wife run to my bedroom and grab my gun idgaf bout legal consequenses. Id rather spent time in jail then my daughter see her mother or father get stabbed

Have been told by a lawyer that if he is under the influence no jury is going to convict you when a toddler is in the house, that said he also told me to put a knife in his hand lol

In all honestly what if a big ass dude came in my house, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries this past year, that said I dont think id be able to fight him off being that im about a month post op. And in all seriousness id be afraid for the safety of my wife and child, even though hes unarmed lets say, if hes coming at me what would you do?

Idk how I'd react to that like in the middle of the night in ready to shoot but that's ballsy just walking in like that. Idk especially there I'd just ask what he was doing I doubt I'd be instantly violent. He'd have to make the first move I guess. But I also may or may not have a loaded one in every room that's easy to get to because I don't have kids

I remember about 20 years ago I made plans to meet my buddy at his apartment.. "End of street, brick house on the right, front door wide open, come right in" So i do just that and walk right into the "Brick house at the end of the street with the door open" with a 12 pack of bud light in my hand and as Im walking into the entry way this little kid screams and his parents rush out and Im stunned, I quickly raise my hand and say Im sorry Im at the wrong house! They realize that Im looking for the NEXT brick house right after their house and it was all good. People can actually walk right into your house by ACCIDENT, unfortunately accessing the situation in an instant can be a life or death situation though, locking the doors at all times is the best bet in my opinion. I dont think any jury would convict anyone for shooting someone who just litteraly booted your door down and charged in, after you announce that you called 911 AND you have a gun, maybe Im wrong but Id take my chances [wink]

Here in the progressive utopia of Wayland we don't lock the doors when we are home during the day...

The problem in a moment like that is that most people freeze. Even if I screamed at my wife to get a gun she would either hesitate to figure out what is going on or she would outright freeze.

Watch to see how people react to predators, snakes, and the like: Some will freeze, some outright panic, but very few ignore the panic to remove the threat. I would guess it's like combat though I don't have first hand experience with that so I have to rely on my COD reflexes...

I'm not getting in a fist fight in my home when there are guns nearby. Likewise I'm not drawing a knife when the gun is almost as close. I had my second wrist surgery in February so I'm in no position to be trading punches with anybody let alone some guy who just broke into my house. Escalate the force to deal with the threat: If you are going to resort to a weapon make sure it provides overwhelming force in case you need it to save your life.

$0.02 been thinking.

Last edited:
Hey Im not telling you how to live your life but maybe use this incident in your town as a good reason to lock your door, My parents live in a sleepy bedroom community and the door is always locked, its actually annoying when I pull in and go to open the door and its locked but Im actually glad they do it.

Agreed that nobody knows how they will react to a situation every time but I have a hard time thinking that anyone here would freeze if someone was booting their door down, when Im home the safes opened and the doors are locked, if I freeze then thats on me.

If someone burst into my home and I didn't have my firearm readily available, I wouldn't go running for it unless the intruder was also armed. If they didn't have a gun out, I'd charge them while yelling to my wife to get our son to safety. However, I'm pretty ****in' tough, so your mileage may vary. [wink] Seriously, though, I've trained in a few martial arts, and although I'm far from a badass, I'm probably able to take down most idiots. At the very least, I'm happy to put myself in harm's way while my family gets away.

Rape whistle and a hug...the poor druggie is a product of not enough social programs. If you would just agree to hand over more of your money to the government that poor man could get the help he needs then you wouldn't need a gun and with everyone getting help from the government nobody would need guns so we could destroy them all....except for the the government because they need guns to protect themselves from the people apparently....

Yea, like I've said before...I'll dial 911 once my family and I are safe. Someone in my house uninvited clearly means me ill will.

I would only go to pistol as last resort, call me a coward but I think i would rather be at home with my family than cooling my heels in jail. I think someone my size and background could take someone down. That said, if i saw that he was armed my first response would be the great equalizer.

IBTL

Do as you see fit brother but that's bad thinking IMO. You don't want to be on equal ground because of too many unknown factors. Is he armed? Is he trained? Is he alone? etc.
By the time you see that he is armed (or not alone, etc) it could be too late.
Respectfully,
Brian
Stay safe

About ten years ago a guy at work invited a bunch of us to a Super Bowl party. 4 of us drove down together to his house in a nice area of Philly.

I had been there once before and all the houses looked the same to me. We all follow the first guy into the basement door with arms full of food and beer we brought.

A guy comes downstairs a minute later before we could go up and we said "hey what's up?"

We chat politely for a moment and finally he says something like "who the F are you people?"

We say "oh it's cool ray invited us." Good thing he knew who Ray was because we were in the wrong house. He wound up coming over and hanging out with us.

1) No offense, but I think you have to be an idiot not to lock your door. I have several friends that don't and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
2) Carry around the house.

If someone strolls in, obviously you shouldn't be pumping them full of lead right away. But that's not what happened here - this dude didn't just casually walk into the wrong house, he ran in and grabbed the wife. At that point is your loved one facing a thread of serious bodily injury? I'd say so! Pull the Desert Eagle out!

Back
Top Bottom