• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wax slugs, waxers, glazers? Why aren't companies making them?

These rounds seem devastating, they achieve everything one wants for self-defense and energy transfer, like hollow points. Or just blasting stuff, and they'd be cheap to produce. These could be the cat's meow for home defense.

[video=youtube_share;VhqosJmUS-0]http://youtu.be/VhqosJmUS-0[/video]

How they work
Shotgun Wax Slugs' Physics Explained - Reverse Granular Impacts - YouTube

Making them
How to make your own Wax Slugs for Shotguns - YouTube

Any of you guys try them? The only concern would be the projectile sliding out without a crimp and making a detonation, manufacturers could crimp them better.

They don't stop people effectively, don't penetrate to vitals, aren't likely to disrupt CNS, and don't penetrate barriers likely to be encountered. In short they are poor self defense rounds, they are gimmicks and are trash.

These rounds seem devastating, they achieve everything one wants for self-defense and energy transfer, like hollow points. Or just blasting stuff, and they'd be cheap to produce. These could be the cat's meow for home defense.

[video=youtube_share;VhqosJmUS-0]http://youtu.be/VhqosJmUS-0[/video]

How they work
Shotgun Wax Slugs' Physics Explained - Reverse Granular Impacts - YouTube

Making them
How to make your own Wax Slugs for Shotguns - YouTube

Any of you guys try them? The only concern would be the projectile sliding out without a crimp and making a detonation, manufacturers could crimp them better.

Liability. Too many ways for shit to melt and get out of hand.

They're probably not very accurate, either.

-Mike

maybe some have missed the point that they mixed the shot with the wax....I cant see a 1 1/8th oz going 1200fps not working to put some one down?

I can't see any commercial firm making these using regular wax, but perhaps a higher melting point polymer or something with epoxy resin, if that isn't under patent.

Here's a 10 ga., massive wound channel.
[video=youtube_share;l8K6C0suuLo]http://youtu.be/l8K6C0suuLo[/video]
I've made a 12 ga. batch from mostly 7 1/2 shot and they're on the lighter side, less than an oz of lead each probably. I might try a thin piece of duct tape over a few to see if they'll cycle with it and have a more secure projectile. Don't want any blown up barrels. [laugh]

I bet in a .410 revolver they'd kill an elephant if you hit it in the toe.

[rolleyes]

Why do people ascribe mythical powers to such things? Physics don't change, people!

Rolled a couple batches since summer and these are pretty cool. Some shells are easier to strip with a pocketnife (the Estate brand) seem to be easiest. No real advantage in mixing shot sizes in my opinion, 1 oz of #8 shot will hit the same as 1 oz of buckshot.
image_zpsf5bb5ddc.jpg

image_zps131d3621.jpg

Shot at this target 10 times today, 50 yd line. Used my Maverick 88 with slugster barrel, benched. But it was cold, the sights aren't the best, and Im sure the group size is partly my fault. I also hit a few clays on the berm at that distance. So, 50 yards is probably max effective range for man sized targets before the slugs start tumbling off course. But, they're reasonably accurate and easy to make.

The few holes with black marker dots around the edges were from a different trip. Hit it 6 or 7 out of 10 though.
image_zpsee452328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom