Waving Legal rights for gun club!

apander

NES Member
Did a search and nothing came up, So I just signed my gun Clubs wavier of injury form and check to renew my membership for about the 20th time. Does that wavier form that holds the club, members etc. etc. from being sued by me or my heirs Legal ? Can one really sign all their legal rights to sue for themselves and others in the future?

It is sad they need to do that, personal responsibility is something most don't have.

You should have seen how many told me to sue Magnum Research when I blew up the BFR. Like it was somehow MR fault. WTF.

As far as the club, not sure if it would hold in court, but if you have the money and time, you could probably tie them in court for a long time.

Anyway, are you planning to sue?

Did a search and nothing came up, So I just signed my gun Clubs wavier of injury form and check to renew my membership for about the 20th time. Does that wavier form that holds the club, members etc. etc. from being sued by me or my heirs Legal ? Can one really sign all their legal rights to sue for themselves and others in the future?
Waivers of that sort rarely hold up in court. Lawyers pretty much laugh at them.

Not that I want you to sue your gun club!

It is sad they need to do that, personal responsibility is something most don't have.

You should have seen how many told me to sue Magnum Research when I blew up the BFR. Like it was somehow MR fault. WTF.

As far as the club, not sure if it would hold in court, but if you have the money and time, you could probably tie them in court for a long time.

Anyway, are you planning to sue?
Not at all, I have signed that form for 20 years plus, just wondering . Don't plan on hurting myself at the club . I'm 75 years old and have never sued anyone before, why start now ?

i remember when the whole sue thing began, many years ago with that chick who ordered a hot coffee from McD's and she dropped it on her lap; sue people and companies for something that was your own fault. if i spilt hot coffee on my dick and deformed it, that would be on me!!

i remember when the whole sue thing began, many years ago with that chick who ordered a hot coffee from McD's and she dropped it on her lap; sue people and companies for something that was your own fault. if i spilt hot coffee on my dick and deformed it, that would be on me!!
Littlerly....;)

Waivers of that sort rarely hold up in court. Lawyers pretty much laugh at them.

Exactly. Waivers have very little if any force behind them and it certainly can't prevent someone from suing, including the person who signs the waiver. Certainly heirs can sue regardless of whatever waiver was signed. Waivers are designed to dissuade people from suing since many people who sign a waiver think they can't sue, but they can.

You forgot to add she won big bucks. Then copycat suits got Mickey D's to add the famous "caution: contents hot" lid. I never made the connection to cup holders in vehicles being a result of this as claimed below.

Stella Liebeck's legal team argued that McDonald's coffee was being held and sold at too high of a temperature. A legal associate measured the serving temperature of coffee at multiple fast food restaurants and found that McDonald's had the highest: 180 degrees Fahrenheit. For reference, 150 degree water can definitely burn you within seconds, and the ideal coffee drinking temperature is between 120 and 140 degrees.

During the trial, it was also revealed that Liebeck wasn't alone. More than 700 people, including children, had been burned by McDonald's coffee in the decade before Liebeck's accident—and McDonald's knew about it.

In 1994, the court awarded Stella Liebeck $200,000 in damage compensation (which was later reduced to $160,000, as the judge found Liebeck 20% at fault for her injuries). But this was what caught the media's attention: the jury also gave Liebeck $2.7 million dollars, which was equal to two days' profit for McDonald's in coffee sales. One month after the trial ended, the presiding judge reduced Liebeck's total compensation from $2.9 million to $640,000.

Even though her award was reduced, people remembered that $2.9 million dollar figure. Stella Liebeck's case prompted food and beverage corporations to be more cautious when serving hot beverages in the future.

One of McDonald's faults during the trial was that their consumers were not adequately informed of the burn risk that came with their coffee. Nowadays, we are aware. After this case, the use of cardboard cup sleeves became more widespread. Hot drink technology evolved, granting us sculpted lids with a raised opening for sipping.

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants
even affected the automotive industry. If the car Liebeck had been in had had cup holders, her injury could have been avoided. Even though cup holders have been in cars since the 1950s, not all models had them, and Liebeck's incident proved that they are necessary.

So, the "Caution: Contents Hot" warning has the same function as cardboard sleeves and smart drink lids. They exist to prevent you from hurting yourself with hot liquids, and in turn that protects coffee-serving companies by letting you know your liability. "Caution: Contents Hot" warnings are there to protect you, but they also reduce the chance that a case like Liebeck's could happen again.

Last edited:
Exactly. Waivers have very little if any force behind them and it certainly can't prevent someone from suing, including the person who signs the waiver. Certainly heirs can sue regardless of whatever waiver was signed. Waivers are designed to dissuade people from suing since many people who sign a waiver think they can't sue, but they can.
Indeed, waivers do NOT protect anybody against negligence. Lawyers just simply claim their client was a victim of negligence and always sue.

Thats what I though .

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants even affected the automotive industry. If the car Liebeck had been in had had cup holders, her injury could have been avoided. Even though cup holders have been in cars since the 1950s, not all models had them, and Liebeck's incident proved that they are necessary.
741q48.jpg

You should read the details of that suit, the summary doesn't do it justice.

Libeck got skin grafts on her vagina… they kept the coffee at 190 which is about 50 hotter then you can really drink it at, they tried to claim that their consumers drank their coffee after they got to their destinations which would give it time to cool off. They had also spent like $500k settling something like 700 burn claims from their coffee prior to this.

Libeck was looking for $20k (Over half of that was to cover medical bills) McD’s offered $800..

But to get back on topic, sign the waiver. It doesn’t really do anything but unfortunately people sue over stupid shit all the time and with the gun climate in this hell hole state I’m surprised we have as many clubs as we do..

IANAL,
When a club I belong to looked at it , here was the case law that was considered.

In that decision, the court found that the indemnity clause did not violate public policy, that it was not unconscionable, and that its enforcement would not be oppressive. The court also found that because Post was bound by the rules in the handbook as a member, his estate was also bound by the terms of the indemnification clause. Finding that the contract was not one of adhesion, and therefore should not be construed with disfavor to either party, the court found as a matter of law that the indemnity clause permitted indemnification against the estate.

OP, the short answer is no. I wondered the same thing for several years. Then I served on the BOD for my club and after doing so got a new perspective on this topic. Put yourself in the board members' shoes and ask yourself if you want to be liable for someone who might make a bad decision or act like a moron at the club. Without the signed waivers from members the individual BOD members may be forced to take the brunt of legal action because of someone else's actions. It's kind of a 2 way street you know?

Not at all, I have signed that form for 20 years plus, just wondering . Don't plan on hurting myself at the club . I'm 75 years old and have never sued anyone before, why start now ?

Ya know how the parents of the kids killed at that school are suing Alex Jones and the gun manufacturer?

It's like that.

Somebody gets hurt or killed, they or their family go lawsuit crazy suing everybody and everything connected with the accident or crime.

Waivers are the norm for any club. Both of my clubs have them in place. Every guest is required to sign one. Before you can step foot on Sig Academy grounds for a class, a waiver is signed, including employees if it's a class outside of their normal job.

When I worked on a dive boat off of NJ, the engines weren't turned over until everyone signed the waiver form.

Then I served on the BOD for my club
I served on the board of one of my clubs and we purchased insurance that specifically covered the BOD members from liability.

A lot of responses here assuming if you're suing then you're looking for a handout. Sometimes you're trying to get someone to pay for the expenses that came from their negligence.

"I served on the board of one of my clubs and we purchased insurance that specifically covered the BOD members from liability."

We had/have a similar insurance policy. It was still helpful to have the membership waiver though. I think it's pretty standard for gun clubs.

I was just looking for information, I have been signing that form for 20 plus years, not thinking of suing, have Never sued anyone in my life of 75 years.

I served on the board of one of my clubs and we purchased insurance that specifically covered the BOD members from liability.

WSA does the same. We have coverage for Club Officers, BOD members and Activity Chairs.

I verified this before I took over as Chairman of IDPA. No way I was going to run that program without some kind of coverage. The stuff that i have seen over the years is enough to make you sh!t your pants multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom