• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waterfowl bird dog trainers

YeOldSalt

NES Member
I tried using the search and couldn’t come up with much so figured I’d try posting here. I’m looking for some local trainers to help me with getting my puppy going for waterfowl retrieving. Didn’t have much come up on google either. I’m south shore MA area and willing to drive for the right trainer. If you all have any good contact info for local folks would be appreciated. Thank you!

I tried using the search and couldn’t come up with much so figured I’d try posting here. I’m looking for some local trainers to help me with getting my puppy going for waterfowl retrieving. Didn’t have much come up on google either. I’m south shore MA area and willing to drive for the right trainer. If you all have any good contact info for local folks would be appreciated. Thank you!
Tell us about your pup.

I just brought home an 11 month old chocolate Lab last weekend. My third Lab I will train myself, but first real hunter.
I’m a believer in training yourself if you can. All that time together creates a tremendous bond, and you will know each other’s thoughts. Even with a trainer, you will have to go work with both of them for the switch over to you.

Remember, always short training intervals, 10-15 minutes max. With a smart dog, it’s easy to get distracted and try to lengthen the times. I caught myself doing that earlier in the week. Better to take long, fun breaks and have multiple sessions a day though, 15 minutes morning and afternoon will get tremendous results.

Last edited:
My guy is 6 months old and chocolate lab. He’s been in basic obedience training and is doing super well. The trainer we are working with says he is super intelligent and has great drive.

I really would love to work with him myself alongside the help of a trainer if possible. I totally understand what you are saying about the bonding piece too. I work from home and my guy is with me 24/7 plus being a family dog. I’m not really interested in sending him away for training, I just don’t really know anything about training a waterfowl bird dog so would love to get some help.

I know there are online programs and such but given this is my first go around with this it would be awesome to find someone or a club that might want to point a total rookie like me in the right direction 😀

Back
Top Bottom