• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waterfowl 2019/2020

Any tips for a noob? This is the first year ive gotten any stamps for ducks. I have some chest waders but no boat ao i know im a bit handicapped.

When pass shooting, lead the bird more than you think you have to. The majority of missed birds on passing shots are because of shooting behind the bird. Ducks are fast. ;)

Center station skeet will teach you how to pass shoot. That shot is a 4 foot lead.

Many seasons ago I took a shot at a drake who was cruising down a marsh river with his girlfriend trailing him. I thought I swung enough ahead of him on my shot, but I ended up hitting her and she was dead before she hit the water. He escaped unharmed. That was a valuable lesson in how much lead is really necessary. It was at least a 50 yard shot and they were pretty high above the water. 3" #2 Black Clouds through a 26" bbl, full choke.

@45collector - do you a dog to retrieve or paddle / wade out to the downed bird?

We have two dogs at the house and neither have ever been hunting. They were my wife's before I met her. ;)

I have a nice set of Lacrosse waders, and also a small plastic boat that is made specifically for waterfowl hunting. Before I had kids I used that boat frequently. Now, I'm lucky to find the time to use it once a year. It's a Beavertail Final Attack, with a 55lb thrust trolling motor, back rest, aluminum blind doors and marsh camo cover. Pretty slick little setup for solo hunts.
This is it on top of my old 4runner...
20130815_155058.jpg

And in action on a tidal river...
20E121A4-E0B6-4078-A789-30B8F69E3BAC.jpeg

So for a few of my local spots I only use the waders, as I can safely get to anywhere a bird may land in the area with just those. Other spots, like tidal rivers (tons of them around the Cape) I bring the blind boat. It's kind of a pain to set it all up though, which is why I rarely use it anymore.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that because of the clock change, shooting time is at 6:23 AM using Worcester, MA as the benchmark. The past few days have been slow, I'm going to see if the two-days-of-frost-in-a-row change works. Good Luck.

geese seem to be scarce this year, and the ones flying have been too scared to come near any decoys. granted, my public land spots probably suck so I'm mostly limited to being in the right place at the right time and pass shooting. anyone know if you can hunt the fields near the bridgewater prison without ending up inside?

I was driving down past Broad Cove on Friday. 2 trucks full of duck men were out there. No idea how they did, but most mornings I drive by there are ducks somewhere that you can see from the road driving 50mph. (Me, not the ducks. Ducks don't drive. They can't reach the pedals.). They had a pretty big spread out. Were packing up when I drove by to go home a bit later.

I was driving down past Broad Cove on Friday. 2 trucks full of duck men were out there. No idea how they did, but most mornings I drive by there are ducks somewhere that you can see from the road driving 50mph. (Me, not the ducks. Ducks don't drive. They can't reach the pedals.). They had a pretty big spread out. Were packing up when I drove by to go home a bit later.
in Hingham? Surprised the residents didn't have the SWAT teams showing up

Back
Top Bottom