Waterfowl 2019/2020

I’m looking very forward to Monday morning.

We did very well out there, one woodie, 4 mallards and two Canada feather rats. My buddies did the best, I only landed the woodie. Had a nice visit with an EPO when we were leaving. Hope you all had a good time as we did.

Last edited:
I was just going threw my gear and remember I have to add my plug in my shotgun lol. But other than that I am very much looking forward to Mon morning.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s a legal place, but Broad Cove in Somerset usually has a good # of ducks on it as I pass by in the am. Afternoon spot?

I’d be in the blind right now but I was gone from 4am to 6pm yesterday shooting IDPA so my wife would probably stab me if took off hunting this morning too.

It goes against my better thinking but Im trying a new spot this morning. My dad and I normally head to a spot in town ( Holland ) that we have been going for a few years, always a great spot in the morning, sun to our back lots of cover.
But I want to try another spot that in the same town about a mile away, looks just as good and same basics as the other.........we will see.

Paddled out to another spot today. Only could get there decoys out today as I have a small kayak.
To bright out and probably like yesterday I won't see anything till the last five min, but there are no ducks in my living room......don't shoot till you see the wing tips down, lol.
Good luck NES.

Attachments

• KIMG1870.JPG
    KIMG1870.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 22
I’m sitting here taking a dump in the Port-a-John on the Rail trail between the Quag and West Washaucum ponds. Of course I came here to hunt squirrels and by the shoreline I snuck up on 3 wood ducks hanging with 2 mallards. I got to about 7 yards before they scrambled but if I had my shotty I would have been a happy hunter. I’m not prepared for water retrieval so I leave that info here.

They were here:
9355D6E9-9810-48FF-AA90-FCC71EFF7AD4.png

Pretty sure you can't hunt the pond in Sterling. I used to live right across the street. Kudos to you if they changed the regs but hate to see anyone getting cuffed and stuffed for that.

Certainly the Quag is not greater than 10 acres but West Waushacum probably is. Even if there is a Great Pond then a bordering town or city can places rules and regs depending If more than 500 acres borders the Great Pond. Section 45, Chapter 131.

If there is a smaller pond then a town or city can allow hunting as well but not likely.

You’re probably quite accurate about the Quag and both Waushacums being verboten.

Last edited:
One down, missed 2. Saw a bunch but of course they where in the other side of the pond.

He looks shocked to be there. LOL

Neighbors tell me of people hunting ducks and such on Assawompsett back in the day. This is pre-lead-free shot days as well. LOTS of people. Scary how stupid we get at times as humans. (Assawompsett is the reservoir for both Taunton and NB.)

He looks shocked to be there. LOL

Neighbors tell me of people hunting ducks and such on Assawompsett back in the day. This is pre-lead-free shot days as well. LOTS of people. Scary how stupid we get at times as humans. (Assawompsett is the reservoir for both Taunton and NB.)
I found a small pentagon shaped cement foundation on a shore line with no road access that I am guessing was a deluxe duck blind. Blueberry Island would make a great blind.

I found a small pentagon shaped cement foundation on a shore line with no road access that I am guessing was a deluxe duck blind. Blueberry Island would make a great blind.
Way out on a marsh in Yarmouth is the disappearing remains of a very old concrete foundation blind. When we first found it some of the walls were still standing but some severe storms a few years back pretty much wiped everything but the concrete out. I have no clue how anyone could have hauled the materials way out there to make that blind. I really wish I could have seen it in its glory days. A great spot too. Lots of bird traffic.

Experience told me that the duck hunting would be fast and furious this morning after the night of wild weather. It was wood duck city this morning, I'll bet that I saw between 75 and 100, very few big ducks (mallards or blacks ). I also noticed that the hawks are migrating, saw 3 of the smaller sized ones.

Attachments

• 20191017_072701.jpg
    20191017_072701.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 32

There's an elevated blind on the Nemasket not far from the dam. I think it's in some guy's back yard. Good spot. If I had a river front property I'd have to buy a retriever for sure.

Any tips for a noob? This is the first year ive gotten any stamps for ducks. I have some chest waders but no boat ao i know im a bit handicapped.

Another good morning with the wood ducks. If you look closely at the hen in the center you should see the attached band, my first this season. While padding in early this morning I had a beaver slap its tail at me, like beavers do. That flushed out the geese that were in the swamp, don't know how many as it was still dark. After I had put out the dekes and was waiting for shooting time, a beaver swam right up to me, so close that if I had moved and scared it I would have gotten wet when it slapped its tail. 20191021_075451.jpg

Any tips for a noob? This is the first year ive gotten any stamps for ducks. I have some chest waders but no boat ao i know im a bit handicapped.
If you don't have a boat or a dog to retrieve your ducks, try to find a swamp or shallow pond that you can wade in. 6 decoys are enough to get the ducks attention, but a decent mallard call will help as well. If you don't want to carry dekes, then the call will help you out. Good luck.

Is that a Browning BPS?
It sure is. That gun is over 20 years old and has taken lots of ducks and some geese as well. It's been to the bottom of the swamp a couple of times, but I can vouch for the BPS to handle thousands of rounds flawlessly. I need to get a new recoil pad on it though, the original is hardened and those 3 inch steel loads kick.

If you don't have a boat or a dog to retrieve your ducks, try to find a swamp or shallow pond that you can wade in. 6 decoys are enough to get the ducks attention, but a decent mallard call will help as well. If you don't want to carry dekes, then the call will help you out. Good luck.
The CT river holds a lot of ducks around it, the problem is its really deep. There are a lot of farm fields on its banks that frequently flood, but we havent had enough rain to draw the ducks into puddles that form in the fields. The forecast looks a little rainy over the next week ao hopfully ot gets swampy.

I already made peace with the idea that im willing to take a sitting duck since ive never taken one.

Not even a canoe or kayak? Where are you? Someone may know a spot. A buddy of mine says you can pass-shoot on wheaton Farm in Easton.

If you're hunting the Connecticut River than get serious about ducks and geese. It's a mini flyway and excellent duck and goose hunting all the way up into northern New Hampshire/Vermont. Any lightweight canoe or boat that you can handle by yourself is adequate for your needs. I'm telling you that this is addictive, hit the swamp when the ducks are really flying and you'll see what I mean!

Back
Top Bottom