• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Water Storage

mu2bdriver

NES Member
Anyone consider using an old oil tank for water storage? Used 275 and 330 gallon tanks are all over, but space in my house is limited in the basement. Has anyone thought of putting one in the garage or underground? What ideas about the freezing problem do you have for nonburied tanks? I don't think an insulation blanket could be large enough and just started looking into the cost of running a small motorized agitator.
Thanks

I use the blue (food grade)poly 55gal barrels they are very affordable.
I got 6 (you might want more,depending on your needs) of these drums added a pinch of bleach in each and set them ontop of some pallets in the basement.I'll rotate the stock eventually.
I'm currently searching for a portable water filter should it become drinking water

I'll go with the bad idea theory on this one. One of our member is selling food grade plastic barrels. Its in his sig line. You might want to drop him a PM. If you're lucky he'll be along shortly.

I was selling these too for a while, but supply ran dry. There is someone else, don't recall who, but market rate is about 40-50 a barrel, even on CL.

Option B is something like this: http://www.watertanks.com/products/5000-005.asp

If its buried with the top of 2-3 feet down, it shouldn't freeze. After a few feet the ground stays in the 40's at least if I'm not mistaken.

But yah, unless you plan on setting up a pretty cool distillation set up, I'd call fail on a used oil tank.

Regarding using a used home-heating oil tank for water storage:

If this is for general water stoarge, you may be able to get the interior of the tank clean enough to be used for washing / bathing, but I would not expect to be able to use a tank which once held petrolum for potable water. It would be nearly impossible to clean the interior of the tank sufficiently to prevent contamination of the water with oil products, sulfur and other poisonous substances.

In addition, the interior of many of these older tanks would not be lined to prevent 1) rusting or 2) contanination by metalic leeching when exposed to a humid enviornment - The manufacturer expected a fairly constant layer of oil to be on the interior side of the tank.

For buried storage in New England, I believe the recommended depth is 4' (This is called the frost line) You should be able to call your town building inspector and ask him what the "Frost Line Depth" is. The top and all pipes for the water should be below this level to prevent freezing.

Multiple spread out tanks with seperate feed lines and ball values makes a lot of sense. I have considered adding a couple of 82 gallon pressure tanks to my house (I currently have a 40 gallon pressure tank) These store water while maintaining house water pressure, so they are constantly filled and cycled by the natural use of water in the house. A series of ball valves allows you to manually add or remove tanks while spigot values would allow the draining of water without passing through the house pipes. Add to that a couple of rain barrels for collecting fresh water for irrigation and bathing, plus some off-line storage barrels for holding water should the well become unuseable and you have a nice solution for water storage.

are there any local places to get 5 or 10 or 20 gal extended storage water tanks? (southern nh/central ma)

WaterBOBs are great, but keep in mind that they are not for longer-term storage. The manufacturer recommends they only be used for 4 weeks. You may be able to gain some storage time by protecting them from light, but I wouldn't go more than 6 weeks or so.

In a shelter situation I would recommend using barrels to store water. You can use regular blue barrels which can be purchased online. When the water supply runs out the barrels can also be reused to store waste.

I have also heard of people building rack systems for 5 gallon jugs and cycling new jugs in and the oldest out with regular use.

Quick Google search: http://ezemergencysolutions.com/pro1169648.html

Back
Top Bottom