Water storage question

Anybody use the food grade 275 gallon containers in the cage?
Wondering if it would be feasible to attach one to a down spout and filter roof debris before it enters the container?
Thoughts?

I would assume they're the same as using food grade 55 gallon barrels, only bigger.

As for filtering rain water, check out this guy's setup. You definitely want to drain off the first X gallons to get rid of the bird crap and bugs. Then filter, then chlorinate.

If you're into ham radio or solar power he's got some great information.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrteFE0V6mVGhEFmZ8zll3NKvUqmYDBq

I've got 4 of these, doing exactly what you describe.
Depending on what you want to do, green growth inside the container is what your problem is going to be.

My plan was actually not potable water, but redistributing on the lawn during a drought.
I gave up after I realized the price of town water was so cheap.

What are you using roof water for? If it's for the garden, that's one thing. Drinking....remember all the crap that lands on the roof will end up in the container. The debris that you can "filter" as it goes into the container is more like running through a screen. True "filtration" would be a second, more involved step, IMO.

I have three 55-gallon drums set up, and 1/2 inch of rain fills them all. It's for the garden, so crap is not an issue. Which is a good thing, as the stuff does get in. The outlets are 1.5" up from the bottom or so, and when it's being emptied, there's little swishage of the water, so it stay pretty-much in place.

It's not to "save money" as noted above, it's actually mostly for sport. [laugh]

All you need to know

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publicati.../doc/RainwaterHarvestingManual_3rdedition.pdf

Water up here is easy but if you come to my place in West Texas it ain't so easy. We get 11" of rainfall a year in Hudspeth and we are in very arid country. Water is a precious commodity. The type system you're talking about is a mainstay for us. A well would be over a 1000' deep, cost a fortune and the water would be briny.

Last edited:
Anybody use the food grade 275 gallon containers in the cage?
Wondering if it would be feasible to attach one to a down spout and filter roof debris before it enters the container?
Thoughts?

They are called "IBC Totes" (Intermediate Bulk Container) and are used to ship all kinds of liquids. Be sure to get ones that have had food grade material in them and preferably with the ball valve plumbing installed on them.

I just picked up two the other day, like new and clean as a whistle, $75 each from a local. They contained sorbitol originally. Complete with ball valve plumbing on them.
These will be plumbed in series along with a 1550gal water tank to catch water from 1700 sq ft of metal roof via a 5 inch steel gutter and 4 inch downspouts.
An electric pump and an engine driven pump will be plumbed to use for firefighting. 2" ball valves will direct water to/from each container as needed.IBC Tote.jpg

If you plan on storing potable water for drinking, it is advisable to either house the container out of sunlight or paint it black to prevent sunlight from entering it and growing algae. Not a bad idea to house it anyway as direct sunlight will eventually degrade the plastic. A simple plywood roof over the top with holes for top openings would suffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom