Water sources and poison ivy

So one of the few sources of fresh water near my home has a crap-ton of poison ivy growing in and around the stream. I don't know the science around the oil from poison ivy plants, but I'm highly allergic, so it's a concern. Haven't found any info on the safety of using water like this online, so I figured I would toss it out there to you all. Any info would be appreciated.

(Obviously water would be filtered and/or treated before use.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urushiol is soluble in alcohol, ether, and benzene

So one of the few sources of fresh water near my home has a crap-ton of poison ivy growing in and around the stream. I don't know the science around the oil from poison ivy plants, but I'm highly allergic, so it's a concern. Haven't found any info on the safety of using water like this online, so I figured I would toss it out there to you all. Any info would be appreciated. (Obviously water would be filtered and/or treated before use.)
I'd be more worried about contact with the ivy while trying to access the water, than about anything in the water.

The active compound in poison ivy/oak/sumac, urushiol is an oleoresin, it isn't particularly water soluble, and is contained in the sap, not sitting on the plant's skin. So I wouldn't expect the water to be dangerous just because poison ivy plants grow in it, assuming you don't crush the plants in getting at the water.

Boiling isn't sufficient to remove urushiol, however prolonged exposure to water will eventually inactivate it.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about contact with the ivy while trying to access the water, than about anything in the water.

The active compound in poison ivy/oak/sumac, urushiol is an oleoresin, it isn't particularly water soluble, and is contained in the sap, not sitting on the plant's skin. So I wouldn't expect the water to be dangerous just because poison ivy plants grow in it, assuming you don't crush the plants in getting at the water.

Boiling isn't sufficient to remove urushiol, however prolonged exposure to water will eventually inactivate it.

So my concern is that in scouting the area, I have seen a couple of spots where the leaves from the plant are in the water, which makes me think that some of the oil may be getting into the water. I can't follow the entire stream without bushwhacking a bit, but the areas with the confirmed poison ivy in the water are both upstream from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Rent a goat, they love poison ivy.

Not sure if the goats suggestion was serious or not, but the stream is on public land, so it's not an option.

Is there a reason you need to use groundwater rather than digging a well to tap an aquifer so this won't be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't want to think what's in surface water near Boston.

You'd have to be pretty desperate to use surface water.

Plan on collecting way more than you need, filtering it with activated charcoal, treat with chlorine, and let it sit for as long as possible before using. See expired patent US4594239 A.

The active compound in poison ivy/oak/sumac, urushiol is an oleoresin, it isn't particularly water soluble, and is contained in the sap, not sitting on the plant's skin.

??? really?

Are you saying that simply touching the leaves won't transfer any oil to you? That's .... counter to what I've always been taught.

'course, "what I've always been taught" is mostly what I learned as a child at summer camp and from my parents, so maybe they were just being over protective just to be safe.

You'd have to be pretty desperate to use surface water.

Plan on collecting way more than you need, filtering it with activated charcoal, treat with chlorine, and let it sit for as long as possible before using. See expired patent US4594239 A.

Thanks for sharing this info.

And yes, I would have to be pretty desperate and hope it never comes to that for my family's sake. Just trying to have a contingency plan for my contingency plan's contingency plan in case an absolute SHTF situation ever occurs.

So my concern is that in scouting the area, I have seen a couple of spots where the leaves from the plant are in the water, which makes me think that some of the oil may be getting into the water. I can't follow the entire stream without bushwhacking a bit, but the areas with the confirmed poison ivy in the water are both upstream from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if the goats suggestion was serious or not, but the stream is on public land, so it's not an option.

Pretty sure Boston is currently using goats to clear poison ivy from public places.

(OT:) My friend had good luck with this company

http://www.gogreengoat.com

Pretty sure Boston is currently using goats to clear poison ivy from public places.

(OT:) My friend had good luck with this company

http://www.gogreengoat.com

[rofl2][rofl2][rofl2]

Q: How will the goats get along with my dog?

Goats and dogs get along very well. Our goats are used to dogs, so will remain calm even with a dog barking close to them beside the fence. Dogs love to watch goats – our goats are like television for dogs!

If you've got flowing water, like a brook or stream, i wouldnt be too worried about poison ivy..... But if your dealing with standing water, i think you'd have more to worry about than just poison ivy.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might want to rethink your SHTF plan about staying in Boston if the MDC water system goes down. No amount of guns and ammo is going to protect you and your family from the Cholera and Dysentery that would run rampant if Bostons sewer system went down.

I think clampett has the most realistic solution. You don't want to remain in an urban environment in the shtf scenario. If you did stay and that was the issue a sheet of 4x8 plywood would create water access and if things were bad the plywood police would be less interested in you. Get a Berkey and you can clean pretty much ANY water and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Bugging out is not a realistic option for us unless I have way advance notice that the shtf, which is highly unlikely. With two young kids (one with a significant disability) I don't like the thought of getting stuck on a highway away from an area that I'm familiar with. I live on the outskirts of the city, so even though it's not ideal, I'll take my chances hunkering down and need to plan accordingly and mitigate the potential risks as best I can.

Go to wal-mart and get "jerry cans" in the camping dept. Rinse out Ice tea or juice jugs as well as large soda bottles and fill them with drinkable water, buy cases of bottled water when it's on sale. Fill available storage spaces with water/food supplies. Always try to have more than you think you'll need. I just wouldn't plan on drinking water I didn't feel confident about, poison ivy or not.

the katadyn pills work well - no bad taste

Usually where Poison Ivy grows, there's Jewelweed/ Touch-me-not growing nearby - that's supposed to be an antidote for the poison ivy
(so if you walk through poison ivy, walk through the jewelweed & watch it launch the seeds when you touch it)

Back
Top Bottom