Watched a S&W PA 22 Fly Apart

Went to my first Steel Challenge at the Pioneer Sportsman's Club last Saturday. I was watching a guy approach the line with a new PA 22. As he took his first shot, the slide dropped off the pistol and landed at his feet in the sand. We all gathered around to inspect the damage. The slide broke cleanly, straight across, just behind the front sight. The portion with the front sight was still sitting on the rail. He was not using hot ammo and there was no other apparent cause that would explain it. He was going to take pictures, post them online (not sure where) and notify S&W.

Since it was a .22, and not a magnum center-fire, I'm guessing metallurgical flaw in the slide. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

No, no one was hurt. I believe it was his first outing with it. I put a link to the S&W page for the PA 22, below.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15710&isFirearm=Y

Sh*T!
I just ordered one of these. Expecting it this month.

It's the Model 22A

107412_thumb.jpg

I'm confused.

The slide broke cleanly, straight across, just behind the front sight. The portion with the front sight was still sitting on the rail.

The front sight on a 22A is not on the slide, it's on top of the barrel in front, it's part of the scope mounting rail that's on top of the
gun.

The "slide" is just a chunk of metal with the breechface and extractor in it in the back. If the "slide fell off" a 22 A, it would break in the back somewhere, not anywhere near the front sight.

-Mike

I'm confused.

The front sight on a 22A is not on the slide, it's on top of the barrel in front, it's part of the scope mounting rail that's on top of the
gun.

The "slide" is just a chunk of metal with the breechface and extractor in it in the back. If the "slide fell off" a 22 A, it would break in the back somewhere, not anywhere near the front sight.

-Mike

Whoa, this changes everything. Never handling one before, I didn't realize that. I don't think the owner did, either. I guess the issue changes from something breaking, to why did the slide drop off the back of the pistol?!

My apologies.

Looking at the enlarged picture on the S&W site, I would guess that it's the scope mounting rail that broke off just behind the front sight and fell off. The actual slide is relatively short, and way towards the back of the frame, not anywhere near the front sight.

So, in effect, the guy bought a semi-auto and got a single shot. [wink]

Went to my first Steel Challenge at the Pioneer Sportsman's Club last Saturday. I was watching a guy approach the line with a new PA 22. As he took his first shot, the slide dropped off the pistol and landed at his feet in the sand. We all gathered around to inspect the damage. The slide broke cleanly, straight across, just behind the front sight. The portion with the front sight was still sitting on the rail. He was not using hot ammo and there was no other apparent cause that would explain it. He was going to take pictures, post them online (not sure where) and notify S&W.

Since it was a .22, and not a magnum center-fire, I'm guessing metallurgical flaw in the slide. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
That was a fun shoot. Shows you how good my ears are, I thought the shooter said P22.

How'd you do with the steel?

Respectfully,
jkelly

If it was a P22 that makes more sense, because the whole top of the gun
is the slide.

The P22 slide is made of zinc (or some other pot metal type crap) and will eventually break with long term use... (friend of mine had his crack after we put about 20,000 or so rounds through it
) but a brand new one shouldn't do that! [laugh]

-Mike

20K rounds through a P22 - that sounds like a fun afternoon... [laugh]

We averaged at least like 1 to 1.5 bulk packs of rem golden bullet through that thing every range session. [laugh] Helps when you have like 6 mags for the gun, too. Until the slide broke in half, I think it was one of the more reliable P22s out there. I think we only cleaned it once in awhile. It just kept running and running.

Mind you, this was also back when rem golden bullet was about $8-9 for 550 rounds at walmart. [shocked]

-Mike

My 22A broke its rear lug after a few thousand rounds, but the Houlton repair crew pinned a stronger one on there that has held firm ever since.

broke

I will stick with my Rugers thank you.and they did not cost anywhere near what that did.$60/70 I have 3.6" target 5" bull target and 4" sporter.

My Walther P22 also self destructed. Slide broke clean in two right behind the front sight.

I keep thinking I ought to call S&W to see if a new top half can be bought ( cause the warrantee is only for one year ) . But I am still sort of disgusted with a " disposable " gun.

WTF ? Have they no pride ?

My Walther P22 also self destructed. Slide broke clean in two right behind the front sight.

I keep thinking I ought to call S&W to see if a new top half can be bought ( cause the warrantee is only for one year ) . But I am still sort of disgusted with a " disposable " gun.

WTF ? Have they no pride ?

Send the gun in and they will fix it. My friend's was well over a year when his broke.

-Mike

I called S&W and told them what happend...they sent me a shipping lable, I sent them the gun. Maybe 2 weeks I called to see what was up, they said they were waiting on new slides from Germany. Got it back about a week later with a new slide. As far as I know S&W backs thier guns 100%. Right on for them! I've put a lot of rounds down range with this one.
I also have an MKII Ruger. I don't think the P22 is as acurate as the Ruger, but it does have it's good points....easy to clear a jam(big plus!), and easy to change/drop mags...I love that ambi. paddle mag release![smile]

I'm sorry to hear such a great American company is having a few issues...
...maybe Walther should have S&W make the slides here in the good ole USA!
Mace

Please tell me you didn't waste one of your "free S&W gun" certificates on this. You could have ordered an M&P9 *** and sold it to me! [wink] [frown] [angry]

I did actually.
I paid extra to get an M&P for the first one.
This most recent one was a free 22A. I would have had to pay over $400 to upgrade to an M&P and at that point I'm pretty close to retail price.

I opted for the 22A. If I get it new I can sell it unfired for over $250...and use that to purchase an M&P...or just keep it. I don't have any 22 pistols. (sort of)

I did actually.
I paid extra to get an M&P for the first one.
This most recent one was a free 22A. I would have had to pay over $400 to upgrade to an M&P and at that point I'm pretty close to retail price.

I opted for the 22A. If I get it new I can sell it unfired for over $250...and use that to purchase an M&P...or just keep it. I don't have any 22 pistols. (sort of)

OK, you're dead to me [wink] I shoot SSR now and don't remember what my M&P looks like: Jar's been shooting it all over the northeast [wink] [rofl]

How do you get free gun certificates?
You attend sanctioned IDPA matches and have mad luck at the door prize drawings like De.

Back
Top Bottom