Watch out for Coyotes

USMA-82

NES Member
In case you didn't see or read about it, a gentleman in Northboro (my hometown) was attacked by a coyote the other day. Here's the follow-up story (hopefully you can access without signing in):

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.d...21&SectionCat=NEWSLETTERS08&Template=printart

Here's my favorite part - the Police response to Mr. Cole's suggestion he'll carry a weapon next time:

"The injuries to his feet will keep him from going on any walks soon, but Mr. Cole said when he is ready, he’ll take precautions.

“I won’t go anymore on the trails without being with somebody else and without something I can use as a weapon,” he said.

Chief Leahy said such an unusual situation may be difficult to prepare for, but advised walkers to make noise by either whistling or clanging their keys."

Here I am training to be proficient in the use of firearms for self-defense, and all I really needed was to work on my whistle, or carry more keys. Damn, that would have been a lot cheaper.....

I do think we need to work in some IDPA coyote scenarios for next season at Riverside....

Or set up some "Advance Key Clanging" classes at GOAL....

Question?

Scenario:
I am walking my dog at night; a coyote or even another dog attacks my dog. Would I be in trouble? What if another animal attacks me?

Re: POP QUIZ TIME

mAss Backwards said:
Be sure to take my Coyote Preparedness Pop Quiz...

http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/2004/07/pop-quiz.html[/url]

Guess I passed. Rem 870 wouldn't be my tool of choice, though. Coyotes make good practice for the RomAK 3 or my Rem 600. You would have to see the Rem 600 to understand why that one. It isn't anywhere near original, thanks to Hart and McMillan.

Moderator said:
Question?

Scenario:
I am walking my dog at night; a coyote or even another dog attacks my dog. Would I be in trouble? What if another animal attacks me?

Yes, if you shot it expect to be arrested and persecuted! You CAN raise the self-defense issue as your defense, but in MA that is a crap shoot and on your dime from both ends (you are funding both the defense and persecution)!

Not only that but PETA will storm your house and perhaps burn it down with your Wife and Children inside just to make a point that every animal's life is sacred!
[roll] [roll]

I'm sorry but I can only laugh when I think about jingling my keys or blowing a freakin whistle if something is about to attack me. Now I've turned myself into a musical meal AND alerted nearby animals of my presence, so if they need a bite they can find me now.

Coy Dogs in Maine are the worst. I don't carry enough clips to put as many as are in some packs I've seen. Not to mention the Fischers. (sp?)

Bring my dog on my jogs with me? I own an english bulldog, if we were ever attacked you would see my running, screaming like a little girl, trying to carry an 80 pound Bulldog out of the woods.

Bringing a friend is the only option I can see. But not just cause I run faster than all my friends of course. [roll]

I was told that there was a bar in portland, where the barkeep kept a lenth of rubber hose behind the bar.

The trump-card was he poured an inch of lead into one end.

Now that's a Black-friggin-jack!

Arrrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Grifter said:
Bringing a friend is the only option I can see. But not just cause I run faster than all my friends of course. [roll]

You can always bring a friend that is smaller than you. When the SHTF you can knock them down and run like hell. [twisted]

Adam

You can't shoot coyotes in Mass? WTF?

No closed season on them up here. PETA pitched a bitch about an organized Coyote Hunt up here, but the state told them they had better not harass the hunters or they'll get arrested. State Law prohibits harassing hunters.

Rusty DeWees (The Logger) has it right: "People Eating Tasty Animals".

http://mtd.com/tasty/

peta.jpg

Adam_MA said:
Grifter said:

You can always bring a friend that is smaller than you. When the SHTF you can knock them down and run like hell. [twisted]

Adam

I'm 6'4" and 250 pounds. I live in the gym. Needless to say ALL my friends are smaller than me. And who needs friends to knock down when you have random strangers?

Damn and Double Damn. WTF are they thinking?

FWIW, they've tightened the restrictions up here as well. They don't pay bounties any more. I'm sure glad I don't live down there.

We have a ban on leg holds down here and since that ban, the pests have start to over run the place. Bills have been filed to repeal the ban but have failed so far that I know.

Nickle said:
Damn and Double Damn. WTF are they thinking?

Excuse me!

You are wrong, grasshopper!

Those that pass the laws down here do NOT THINK!!

They'd have to get off their fat asses so that their brain could expand before they could think! [roll] [roll]

It really doesn't matter what the season is in Eastern MA. These predators are where the people live and there are "no shooting in our town" by-laws in most all the towns in Eastern MA, so hunting is out of the question. Then you have the 500' from a dwelling rule! I have 3/4 acre and I have 11 homes that are within 500' of me (and we are all on 3/4-1 acre lots)! Go figure.

Um, yeah we do shoot coyotes. Especially the farmers here. Winter time is when they are out in the back yard here. I've had them run down the driveway one morning when I was clearing the windshield.

Back
Top Bottom