• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WATCH: Older Brother Opens Fire When Younger Brother Answers Door

Reptile

NES Member
A Long Beach, California man traveled to North Ogden, Utah, rang his estranged brother’s doorbell on April 27, then shot his brother to death when he answered the door.

The Daily Mail reports that the 66-year-old California man shot 65-year-old Scott Roberts and also shot Roberts’ wife, Jodi, then set their home on fire.

Ring.com footage of the incident was just released.

Scott and Jodi’s daughter, Kelsey Turner, said the 66-year-old “was estranged from [his younger brother] but the motive for the horrific incident remains unclear.”

No one is ever going to know the reasons behind this. I have been estranged from my younger sister for 40 years or more, basically since she graduated HS and went in the Army. We were never that close and I will admit I was pretty much a dick to her when I was a senior in HS. I saw her a few times over the years but that was in the late 80s. Then my Dad passed in 2013 and I had to call and tell her. Mom had Alzheimer's and wasn't up for the job. She was indifferent and indicated she wasn't planning on coming home for the funeral. Shortly after that she contacted the siblings in an attempt to oust me as the one controlling my Mom's finances etc. They refused to back her power play and things remained the same until my Mom passed. After that she was like the wicked witch. Basically she was all about the money and getting her hands on it. She accused me of financial improprieties and failure to perform my fiduciary duties etc. The lawyer and the CPA went through everything and found no problems. In fact the CPA commented that the terms on my parents trust allowed me to collect a management fee for taking care of my Mom after my Dad passed that was based on the value of the trust and she should shut up else I could collect the feee which would have been in 6 figures. That's when the harassment began. Profanity laced emails and calls demanding her inheritance or else. When the process didn't go fast enough then the stories from her of abuse by my Dad started and how she was treated badly by everyone and now we were doing it again.

Bottom line. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly happened between the two of us why she would basically hate me. I have not figured anything out. My Dad was never the best and could be a SOB but I never believed for a second he abused her. Some of the times she was cool, calm and just plain evil in her actions and other times she was like a raving lunatic. Looking back if she had appeared at my door sometime demanding stuff I would not have been surprised. I am no way implying my sister would have shot me or anything but you just don't know. Family dynamics are strange and sometimes unpredictable.

No one is ever going to know the reasons behind this. I have been estranged from my younger sister for 40 years or more, basically since she graduated HS and went in the Army. We were never that close and I will admit I was pretty much a dick to her when I was a senior in HS. I saw her a few times over the years but that was in the late 80s. Then my Dad passed in 2013 and I had to call and tell her. Mom had Alzheimer's and wasn't up for the job. She was indifferent and indicated she wasn't planning on coming home for the funeral. Shortly after that she contacted the siblings in an attempt to oust me as the one controlling my Mom's finances etc. They refused to back her power play and things remained the same until my Mom passed. After that she was like the wicked witch. Basically she was all about the money and getting her hands on it. She accused me of financial improprieties and failure to perform my fiduciary duties etc. The lawyer and the CPA went through everything and found no problems. In fact the CPA commented that the terms on my parents trust allowed me to collect a management fee for taking care of my Mom after my Dad passed that was based on the value of the trust and she should shut up else I could collect the feee which would have been in 6 figures. That's when the harassment began. Profanity laced emails and calls demanding her inheritance or else. When the process didn't go fast enough then the stories from her of abuse by my Dad started and how she was treated badly by everyone and now we were doing it again.

Bottom line. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly happened between the two of us why she would basically hate me. I have not figured anything out. My Dad was never the best and could be a SOB but I never believed for a second he abused her. Some of the times she was cool, calm and just plain evil in her actions and other times she was like a raving lunatic. Looking back if she had appeared at my door some demanding stuff I would not have been surprised. I am no way implying my sister would have shot me or anything but you just don't know. Family dynamics are strange and sometimes unpredictable.
"Bitches be crazy"

I assumed it was going to be a situation where bro knocks on the door and other guy shoots him by mistake. You can tell by their tone of voice there was tension between them.

Also did he rack the slide after drawing? Must have seen too many movies

Did the woman who was shot die too? The cops didn't want to rush in and save her when the fire first started. Gotta wait 8 more min for the FD professionals.

Nice to see more and more PDs running pistol optics these days. Maybe it'll make the cops more accurate shots past 20-50 feet and minimize bystanders getting hit.

You can tell by their tone of voice there was tension between them.

You can tell they hadn't spoken in a year or more. Guy at door, shooter, ask to see Mom. Other brother says she is living in Missouri. First brother, didn't know that, how long. Other brother, about a year.

Sounds like the brother who owns the house was taking care of Mom. That means he had access to whatever money and property there was. Probably had a POA at minimum. Brother who was the shooter was probably not satisfied with the way the money was being was spent or pissed because he had no say etc. He went there knowing the sh!t was going to get deep and most likely nothing would have stopped it. Unfortunately I've seen it first hand and nothing gets uglier than families fighting over whatever Mom and Dad are leaving behind or will leave behind.

“This is shocking and it’s clear the victim wasn’t happy to see his brother. Didn’t even invite him in. At first I thought he must have known his visiting brother was unhinged, so I looked into a possible motive.
Interesting how one’s perspective changes when you get the backstory.
The shooter, Jeffrey Roberts was beloved by everyone in his community. He was apparently pushed over the edge by siblings who had allegedly moved their mother with Alzheimer’s far away from home to Missouri and had taken over her estate.
Victim had just built a brand new home. I’ve seen this scenario many times. Greed is ugly. It splits up families when financial abuse of the elder robs some siblings of their share of inheritance and it is often committed by isolating the vulnerable elder, telling them lies and by pretending to be concerned for their well being.
Fighting this kind of abuse is difficult. Cops will not get involved, as it’s a civil matter. Social Services is only interested in the present condition of the elder who is often moved around from state to state so Social Services can’t investigate the nefarious family member siphoning accounts. I can see how all this could push a desperate brother to commit such a final fatal act.😢

Bottom line. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly happened between the two of us why she would basically hate me. I have not figured anything out. My Dad was never the best and could be a SOB but I never believed for a second he abused her. Some of the times she was cool, calm and just plain evil in her actions and other times she was like a raving lunatic. Looking back if she had appeared at my door sometime demanding stuff I would not have been surprised. I am no way implying my sister would have shot me or anything but you just don't know. Family dynamics are strange and sometimes unpredictable.

I think it comes down to people are people. My wife’s family has much more of a culture of writing people off vs my family which is more of a blood is thicker than water thing. I will say some people should certainly be kept at arms length, at best.

Money. It brings out the worst in people.

My mother has 2 brothers and a sister. Hasn't spoken to 2 them in 15 years. When their mom died there was a decent estate to settle. Well....my mom lived a block away from her mother and had taken care of her for years....
By "taken care of" I mean 2 to 3 times a day check ins......cleaning.....cooking.....cutting the grass etc. Anyway......her mom had a joint bank account with my mom and her names on it. Had about 100k in it and my mom used it to write checks for groceries and buy stuff for my hrandmothers house. Whenever that account got to about 90k my grandmother would have my mom take her to the bank and transfer money from her main savings account to bring it to 100k again. My uncle was the executor of the will and 2 days after my grandmother passes away my uncle showed up and asked my mom for the check book for the joint account. My mom told him it's a joint account and if her names on it it's not part of the estate. My uncle insisted it was part of the estate and he demanded the check book so he could close it out. My mom told him you won't be able to and he said as executor he could and that the money was estate property. My mom said she laughed at him and handed him the book. The next day he came back to her and handed her the check book and told her the bank and the lawyer he contacted said they can't conside it estate money because my mom's name is on it. No shit Sherlock. But my uncle and other 2 siblings tried strong arming her for over a year saying she should split that money with them. My opinion on this.....if your in a financial position in your 60s that a measly $25k (the 100k split 4 ways) is so important that harassing a family member to the point of no longer speaking seems reaaonable......then you sucked at life and should just find a place to wither out your last decade or so on the planet and not bother anyone. 🙄

Bottom line is my grandmother was smart and fully knew that a joint account with my moms name on it would go to my mom.

They don't talk anymore.

So I can definitely see how these family fueds can turn deadly......money brings out the worst in people.

Last edited:
Money. It brings out the worst in people.

My mother has 2 brothers and a sister. Hasn't spoken to 2 them in 15 years. When their mom died there was a decent estate to settle. Well....my mom lived a block away from her mother and had taken care of her for years....
By "taken care of" I mean 2 to 3 times a day check ins......cleaning.....cooking.....cutting the grass etc. Anyway......her mom had a joint bank account with my mom and her names on it. Had about 100k in it and my mom used it to write checks for groceries and buy stuff for my hrandmothers house. Whenever that account got to about 90k my grandmother would have my mom take her to the bank and transfer money from her main savings account to bring it to 100k again. My uncle was the executor of the will and 2 days after my grandmother passes away my uncle showed up and asked my mom for the check book for the joint account. My mom told him it's a joint account and if her names on it it's not part of the estate. My uncle insisted it was part of the estate and he demanded the check book so he could close it out. My mom told him you won't be able to and he said as executor he could and that the money was estate property. My mom said she laughed at him and handed him the book. The next day he came back to her and handed her the check book and told her the bank and the lawyer he contacted said they can't conside it estate money because my mom's name is on it. No shit Sherlock. But my uncle and other 2 siblings tried strong arming her for over a year saying she should split that money with them. My opinion on this.....if your in a financial position in your 60s that a measly $25k (the 100k split 4 ways) is so important that harassing a family member to the point of no longer speaking seems reaaonable......then you sucked at life and should just find a place to wither out your last decade or so on the planet and not bother anyone. 🙄

Bottom line is my grandmother was smart and fully knew that a joint account with my moms name on it would go to my mom.

They don't talk anymore.

So I can definitely see how these family fueds can turn deadly......money brings out the worst in people.

Sorry, but unless I'm reading this wrong, or you're leaving something out, I agree with your mom's siblings. I was recently in a similar position to your mom, where I had my name on my mom's checkbook (along with her), and had the responsibility for paying bills and taking care of day-to-day expenses for her, along with being very active in her daily care. At no point did I EVER consider that money to be mine, after she passed. The reason my name was on the checkbook was to facilitate bill paying, etc., because if it wasn't on there, it likely would have become problematic, eventually. I felt that it was part of the overall estate, and should be divided equally between my siblings after my mom's passing. And no, not all of us siblings get along, but dividing the estate equally was just the right thing to do (full disclosure, I actually had my mom leave me out of her will, because of my being in a much better financial position than my siblings).

YMMV

Frank

Sorry, but unless I'm reading this wrong, or you're leaving something out, I agree with your mom's siblings. I was recently in a similar position to your mom, where I had my name on my mom's checkbook (along with her), and had the responsibility for paying bills and taking care of day-to-day expenses for her, along with being very active in her daily care. At no point did I EVER consider that money to be mine, after she passed. The reason my name was on the checkbook was to facilitate bill paying, etc., because if it wasn't on there, it likely would have become problematic, eventually. I felt that it was part of the overall estate, and should be divided equally between my siblings after my mom's passing. And no, not all of us siblings get along, but dividing the estate equally was just the right thing to do (full disclosure, I actually had my mom leave me out of her will, because of my being in a much better financial position than my siblings).

YMMV

Frank
The lawyers disagree with you.

Also your not privy to all the details. One of my uncles got the house (it was in the will) and the other two siblings got other property that was owned that was worth over the 100k that was in the joint account with my moms name.

Fortunately there are lawyers that settle these things not the opinions of someone on an internet gun forum.

The estate lawyer.....and the bank.....both confirmed that the money belonged to my mother.

The lawyers disagree with you.

Also your not privy to all the details. One of my uncles got the house (it was in the will) and the other two siblings got other property that was owned that was worth over the 100k that was in the joint account with my moms name.

Fortunately there are lawyers that settle these things not the opinions of someone on an internet gun forum.

The estate lawyer.....and the bank.....both confirmed that the money belonged to my mother.

Ok, well that's a horse of a different color! Knowing more of the details certainly helps. Glad you cleared that up.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom