• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WATCH: Kentucky Man Opens Fire on Four Home Invasion Suspects

Me too! (CPAP)

I'm trying to convince the wife that we need a dog. A good guard dog is a secondary alarm who should buy you some time to get into the safe.

Not one dog, at least 2. 6 is better. Motion lights, no trees or shrubs near the house, a fence, and a beware of dog sign is enough to make any pro look elsewhere.

But then you get morons who would break into any house.

Maybe he was on the shitter when the door got kicked in?

I'm impressed that the guy was able to fire within six seconds of the door being kicked in. He may not have hit anyone but he got the job done.

Homeowner told other news sites he was sleeping at the time. That's a great response time.

Scenarios like this are why we have motion sensors outside -- better to know before the door's kicked in. Got one base in the den, turned on during the day, different/distinct doorbell chimes for each entrance. A second base in the bedroom is armed only at night with a blasting-loud alert to wake us, also different chimes for each entrance.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driveway-Weatherproof-Detector-Security/dp/B01M3QINCM/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cd18wLGZas

Last edited:
Not one dog, at least 2. 6 is better. Motion lights, no trees or shrubs near the house, a fence, and a beware of dog sign is enough to make any pro look elsewhere.

But then you get morons who would break into any house.

Beware of dog signs will work against you if your dog bites someone, even if they’re on your property without your permission.

Homeowner told other news sites he was sleeping at the time. That's a great response time.

Scenarios like this are why we have motion sensors outside -- better to know before the door's kicked in. They give a blasting-loud alert to wake us if someone gets within six feet of the house, different chimes for each entrance.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driveway-Weatherproof-Detector-Security/dp/B01M3QINCM/

Yup, I've got them 300ft and 150ft out the driveway and 50ft out on the other sides. Dakota Alerts, monitor on nightstand and chime for second drive alert in living area.

Early warning is key.

I'm impressed that the guy was able to fire within six seconds of the door being kicked in. He may not have hit anyone but he got the job done.

(Maybe one of you stalwarts who actually read all the article(s)
will put the lie to this, but...)
just because the video starts with the actual breach
doesn't mean the rapscallions weren't ratcheting up the action
for a while beforehand.
  1. We ran out of gas, can we use your phone.
  2. Rattling of back door knob, testing windows.
  3. Is my girlfriend in there; let us in, we want to check.
  4. Loud banging.
  5. ...
Right around Phase 1 is when the safe should have been getting unlocked.

Question for NES: Massachusetts Residents Only;
What is the likelihood of a violent home invasion vs. the likelihood of being caught with an unsecured firearm for defensive purposes...?
On that stretch of road in North Chelmsford:
Infinitely more likely to get a home invasion.

A dozen years ago, two miles down the road
was another home invasion:
Lowell Sun: 1 arraigned, 1 sought in Chelmsford home invasion

I didn't even know about that one.
I found it while searching (fruitlessly)
for any articles of another home invasion:

Back in the day, in the Williamburg Condos
just half a mile down the road from the latest invasion,
an Asian gang from Lowell tied up the owners of
a local Chinese restaurant, but the victims got loose
and escaped out the basement bulkhead door while the
robbers were tearing the place apart, looking for
all the cash they were convinced the restaurateurs
had sitting around the condo.

I'd be pulling the CPAP off mumbling: "What the hell was that...?"
quote-some-mornings-it-s-just-not-worth-chewing-through-the-leather-straps-emo-philips-23-7-0764.jpg

My wife would be banging me on the chest telling me to wake up
...she'd let you back in bed.
two-young-women-pack-old-man-in-steamer-trunk-CBNP61.jpg

I'm trying to convince the wife that we need a dog.
Not one dog, at least 2. 6 is better. Motion lights, no trees or shrubs near the house, ...
Well, if there are no trees or shrubs near the house,
at least that's gonna incent the dogs to patrol the boundaries
(and keep them well-marked).

You need a door like they have in Salem...

DSCN2047.jpg

Well, if there are no trees or shrubs near the house,
at least that's gonna incent the dogs to patrol the boundaries
(and keep them well-marked).

Really common for houses to get broken into on the 2nd floor by climbing a tree, or into a basement window behind a shrub. That, and if someone's in the interior of your yard and you throw the outside lights on and point a rifle out the window, there's no cover.

Beware of dog signs will work against you if your dog bites someone, even if they’re on your property without your permission.
Details of dog bite liability vary by state, in NH and MA, the owner is generally not liable for dog bite injury to unlawful trespassers.

You can always go minimalist:
molon-doge.png

...if someone's in the interior of your yard and you throw the outside lights on and point a rifle out the window, there's no cover concealment.
Wisteria and aspen are no match for Winchester.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear about these home invasion scenarios I just can’t help to think that there must be some sort of connection between the victims and the perpetrators. Or maybe they were marked out in public some way and followed home, expensive car, nice jewelry or something that telegraphs “I have $$$”.

I know it happens in the movies but in real life a random home invasion must be very, very rare,

Whenever I hear about these home invasion scenarios I just can’t help to think that there must be some sort of connection between the victims and the perpetrators. Or maybe they were marked out in public some way and followed home, expensive car, nice jewelry or something that telegraphs “I have $$$”.
I know it happens in the movies but in real life a random home invasion must be very, very rare,
Or just being prominent in your field, and thus getting media coverage. Or living in a "rich" neighborhood.

Committing random home invasions is a high-risk activity, and in most regions is the kind of thing that police put a lot of effort towards solving, so only the truly depraved and desperate do it even once, and monsters like Charles Normil and his multi-state "hot burglary" career are even more rare.

Whenever I hear about these home invasion scenarios I just can’t help to think that there must be some sort of connection between the victims and the perpetrators.
Back in the day, in the Williamburg Condos
just half a mile down the road from the latest invasion,
an Asian gang from Lowell tied up the owners of
a local Chinese restaurant, ...
Example: I'ma go way out on a limb and speculate that
said Asian gang members knew of the restaurant...

Back
Top Bottom