• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WATCH: Kentucky Man Opens Fire on Four Home Invasion Suspects

mikeyp

NES Member

A Warren County Kentucky man opened fire on four home invasion suspects, at least one of whom was armed.
WAFB 9 reports that the lead suspect exchanged gunfire with the homeowner, 24-year-old Austin Orwig, and Orwig was struck in his hand by a bullet.

WDBJ 7 reports that “security video [shows] that someone kicked the door in, and four intruders entered the home.”

According to WNKY, Warren County Sheriff Brett Hightower indicated there was no evidence that the suspects were struck by gunfire. They turned and ran as soon as Orwig began shooting.

Another link

Sheriff's office investigating home invasion, shooting - WNKY

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Just before midnight Wednesday, three people armed with handguns kicked in a door in Country Living Estates mobile home community as a fourth person stood near the door. That’s when the occupant of Lot 149 opened fire on the intruders.

“There was an exchange of gunfire,” Warren County Sheriff Brett Hightower said.

The intruders quickly retreated as the occupant, Austin Orwig, 24, continued firing at them.

The entire incident was captured on surveillance video that the sheriff’s office posted to Facebook with the hope that others will recognize the people who kicked in the door to the home.

In the video, muzzle flash from occupant’s gun can be seen, screams can be heard coming from another room inside the home.

Orwig sustained a gunshot wound to the hand, was taken to a local hospital and transferred to a Louisville hospital. He has since been released.

“There is no evidence to tell that any suspect was shot,” Hightower said.

Same event, in a Massachusetts household:

Door kicked in...

Homeowner: "Shit! Where is the key to my safe!"

Bad guys: "Hey! The dead guy has a gun safe!!!"...

Moral to the story: "Pre-ban hi-caps don't mean a thing, if you can't fill your hand... fast."

Last edited:
I'm glad I live in a big house; if someone kicks the door in the alarm will go off giving me plenty of time before they make it up three flights of stairs and figure out where the bedroom is. This guy had about six seconds from the time the door came down until the guy w/ the gun was in his doorway, good for him. I'd still be wiping the drool off my cheek.

A Warren County Kentucky man opened fire on four home invasion suspects, at least one of whom was armed.
WAFB 9 reports that the lead suspect exchanged gunfire with the homeowner, 24-year-old Austin Orwig, and Orwig was struck in his hand by a bullet.

WDBJ 7 reports that “security video [shows] that someone kicked the door in, and four intruders entered the home.”

According to WNKY, Warren County Sheriff Brett Hightower indicated there was no evidence that the suspects were struck by gunfire. They turned and ran as soon as Orwig began shooting.

This is why the castle doctrine exists and why if you follow Massachusetts' foolish storage laws you'll very likely be killed in an invasion like this.

I'm wondering if the home owner accidently shot himself in the hand in the excitement?

Most household front doors and their frames won't stand up to three kicks. I have experience with a size 13 door opener.

I made sure my front door is of a strength that any human
on the planet can kick it until they’re blue in the face. All
they’re going to get is a sore foot. That door is going no where.
First thing I did to it was make it open out so you’ll be
kicking into the reenforced-jam not into the knob striker.
Huge difference.

Huge difference.

I understand.

Problem is, if your doors open out you can easily be hindered or trapped by someone wedgimg the door or placing some other obstruction in front of it.

One question, How are your hinge pins secured?

This is why storm shelters always have inward opening doors in case debris gets piled in front of it during a tornado.

You need a door like they have in Salem...
Or, caltrops...

the-house-of-seven-gables.jpg
Crows_feet_2%2C_Balaclava_1854.jpg

A porcupine portico... ^

Last edited:
Huge difference.
Don't forget about the rest of your exterior doors...
And first floor windows for that matter...

Back
Top Bottom