• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wassup with tomahawks?

What are you guys using them for? Gimmick or serious piece of equipment? I mean, in all the deployments, from desert to jungle and urban combat, I don't recall a situation where I was like "damn, if only I had a tomahawk now!". So, NES, legit piece of gear, or an unnecessary addition to the kit?

I tried using SOG's tomahawk for very light woodcutting for kindling/marshmallow sticks. Honestly either a hatchet or a machete would have been a lot easier to use. The spike sticking back towards me meant that I had to go a little slower than I would have with either of the others. Also, the light weight (of that particular model) meant that it didn't get through wood as fast.

These are my two favs. I like the simple looks. Not these crazy zombie tactical ones. Fast Hawk and Vietnam Hawk. I love tomahawks even if I don't use em much but to bring hiking and throw em haha...

Fun to make
Fun for throwing
No capacity on how many you can carry in mass
I have one I made from a maul that is pretty bitchen for demo work.

Got the fast hawk and a set of throwing knives. Use the hawk to clear any blowdowns on the trails behind my house. Other than that, just for fun at the throwing station at my gun club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only type I would see a reasonable use for is one of the ones with the hammer on the back. Other than that, fun to dick around with.

An ax or hatchet made for doing ax/hatchet things would be better for ax/hatchet things. A stout blade would be better for blade things.

[laugh] you're still thinking about that tomahawk?

i'd pay good money to have about a dozen of them lined up on a table and to watch you throw them into a tree while cursing in french.

given the choice of having a tomahawk or not against an unarmed opponent I would prefer to have a tomahawk. that being the case I would also prefer to have a sword or a spear, a rifle a pistol etc...

They are fun to throw inexpensive in the scheme of things. I think a better edged weapon would be a Kukri

[laugh] you're still thinking about that tomahawk?

i'd pay good money to have about a dozen of them lined up on a table and to watch you throw them into a tree while cursing in french.

No shit! Took a couple hours to figure it out on a throwing slab. Trees are a lot harder to stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hawk is Pretty much a mall ninja toy. I have two of them I bought to play with, but I can't think of any real world situation where I would carry one.

For the weight, I can carry a spare gun or a Couple mags. As far as wood cutting or shelter building, I think a large knife would work just as good for less weight and more utility in other areas. Check out the ESEE Junglas.

If you have to ask......

J/k.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

What are you guys using them for? Gimmick or serious piece of equipment? I mean, in all the deployments, from desert to jungle and urban combat, I don't recall a situation where I was like "damn, if only I had a tomahawk now!". So, NES, legit piece of gear, or an unnecessary addition to the kit?

Gimmick.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, NES, legit piece of gear, or an unnecessary addition to the kit?

I think you already know the answer to this.

Depending on what I'm looking to do, I'll use a hatchet, axe, machete, or knife. Other than dicking around, I don't see the purpose of a "tactical tomahawk".

I've got a Cold Steel Trailhawk that I have played with a little, and I bought a pile of those SOG Fasthawks and gave them out for Christmas this year (and kept one for myself). I was planning on setting up a target in the backyard to throw it at, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I also got my daughter a set of throwing knives for Christmas (Hunger Games fan), and we need to get the target set up for those as well.

I don't consider any of these essential gear of viable weapons, just fun backyard/camping toys.

This was the video that got me to buy the Trail Hawk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawks are just cool. Cheap and no one needs real justification to buy one. Calling them mall ninja is the same is guys on here with expensive plate carriers with plates and helmets all set up for operator crap for when SHTF. Probably never going to use it. But its all cool to have if you can.

personaly i have always been a fan of the gladius. if for no other reason, aint no one who wants to mess with someone carrying a sword...

I am glad I worked out my fixed blade fantasies in the 80's when the choices were so much simpler. Bought a Gerber BMF, felt like Rambo, and was done with it. I would be a kid in the candy store with the current lineup.

Actually I still have a Gerber MkII that begs for some kydex and a kit to belong to...

Back
Top Bottom